Starting my Medically Necessitated Low Carb Diet

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
This here non sugar eater was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a week ago and immediately put on Metformin. Going through everything in the fridge and pantry, simple(r) carbs are all getting donated. Many of which I had just bought. Major changes underway as I get rid of a lot of my favorite foods and look for what I can eat. Currently the medication is thankfully keeping me from going into the toxic 300+ mg/dl range and out of the hospital. More tests to have done next week.

This here non sugar eater was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a week ago and immediately put on Metformin. Going through everything in the fridge and pantry, simple(r) carbs are all getting donated. Many of which I had just bought. Major changes underway as I get rid of a lot of my favorite foods and look for what I can eat. Currently the medication is thankfully keeping me from going into the toxic 300+ mg/dl range and out of the hospital. More tests to have done next week.
Buy some books to read in the bathroom.

Ring does it run in the family?...

I've lowered carbs due to being on weight watchers, and have used the riced cauliflower/broccoli combos to some success as a rice replacement. The Squash zoodles as a pasta replacement has been less of a success, but not terrible.

Are you supposed to go zero carbs or just limit them?

You can still eat good on that.
They have zero carb tortillas for tacos. Cauliflower pizza crusts. Veggie pasta etc.
Im on that diet right now, and all I really miss is fruit, honestly.

You can always use almond flour and stuff like that to fry things. Even parm cheese works pretty good, and gives it flavor.
I did that with cauliflower the other day and tossed them in buffalo sauce. Was pretty dadgum good.

This here non sugar eater was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a week ago and immediately put on Metformin. Going through everything in the fridge and pantry, simple(r) carbs are all getting donated. Many of which I had just bought. Majorchanges underway as I get rid of a lot of my favorite foods and look for what I can eat. Currently the medication is thankfully keeping me from going into the toxic 300+ mg/dl range and out of the hospital. More tests to have done next week.
(1) I, of course, join other members (and guests) in wishing you the best of luck in dealing with the sudden diagnosis.

(2) We human beings often forget that the most important thing in life is our health.

(3) Best wishes on your tests next week.

There's no need to go hungry. My wife is diabetic and makes a lot of things with almond and coconut flour. She also uses Swerve sweetener instead of sugar, which is indistinguishable from real sugar. It also comes with regular or "brown sugar" flavored. Her blood sugar was over 300 when she was first diagnosed, but is usually down around 100 now. You can also use riced cauliflower instead of rice, and spiral-cut zucchini for pasta.

I did cook up a bunch of pinto beans. Made some ham and bean soup and southwest ham and beans. The ham was smoke cured not sugar cured.
I also have some turkey and noodle soup in the freezer but they are the egg noodles. Therefore I eat those soups in moderation........

I was Type 2 on Metformin and Trulicity.

I dropped sugars (e.g. sugar content of Ginger Ale is over 100%) and carbs and lost about 30 Lbs and dropped blood sugar to under 120. Sugar is more addictive than heroin

Stay strong!

One bit of good news is dark chocolate helps to reduce glucose and dark chocolate (60% + of cacao) is the only kind of chocolate I like. Combine it with unsalted nuts and that's some powerful "medicine".
Oh and I was already down 60 pounds when I was diagnosed.

One bit of good news is dark chocolate helps to reduce glucose and dark chocolate (60% + of cacao) is the only kind of chocolate I like. Combine it with unsalted nuts and that's some powerful "medicine".
Oh and I was already down 60 pounds when I was diagnosed.
yea dark chocolate is good.....

Forum List

Back