Starbucks to Stop Using Disposable Plastic Straws by 2020

Liberals: I like it, so taxpayers must subsidize it; I don't care for it, so it must be banned.
There are good reasons for it. What is your problem?
Whatever happened to paper straws, anyway?

Maybe they dont hold up under heat?
People sip HOT drinks from a straw? OMG. I never heard of that.

Dont ask me,ask Charbucks.

Liberals: I like it, so taxpayers must subsidize it; I don't care for it, so it must be banned.

My guess is they aren't considering paper straws because that, too, will end up in landfills AND it kills trees. The stainless steel option sounds good. Throw it in your jacket pocket or purse or glove compartment and you're set.

My guess is they aren't considering paper straws because that, too, will end up in landfills AND it kills trees. The stainless steel option sounds good. Throw it in your jacket pocket or purse or glove compartment and you're set.

Do you realize how nasty a stainless straw would get?
And no it doesnt kill tress,paper is readily recyclable.

I'm sure it's stainless so you can put it in the dishwasher, like the rest of your silverware. But I've never had one.
So, paper it is!

Straws are one of the lesser plastic weapons in our arsenal. The plastic that holds cans of beer or pop together is far more deadly. This is just more pc stupidity. Like trying to ban an AK47 because most gun violence is committed with a hand gun.:eusa_doh:

I'm sure it's stainless so you can put it in the dishwasher, like the rest of your silverware. But I've never had one.
So, paper it is!

Having to wash it after every use is a waste of water.
Damned if ya do damned if ya dont.

When I was a kid, my parents had this one glass straw. I suppose it came in a mixed drink set; I've never seen another. I thought it was the coolest thing ever, and I got to use it when I was sick, to cheer me up.

I suppose it broke eventually. I've seen pics of some people carrying their own stainless steel straw. It's washable like a spoon. Wouldn't that be alright, if you were a dedicated straw person?
Where I live, we can put the plastic straws in the recycle bin. When I order from fast food places or in restaurants, I tell them i don't want a straw.

Have you ever seen any paper straws anymore? I haven't, but that's all we had when i was a kid. Many places that offer take out are using cardboard containers and paper bags too rather than plastic.

If the government would allow hemp to be grown by the farmers, then no more trees would have to be cut down for paper and no more oil would have to destroy the environment. I'm in NC and all of the tobacco farmers went broke when the cigarette manufacturers drastically cut back on production. They could now grow hemp and go back to making a living like they did before. I still can ride around here and see tobacco drying barns that are still standing, so they could be used once again for hemp.

Oh wait! I forgot that the government is in the pocket of the oil barons. Oil makes plastic too, so then there's that.
That worthless asshole Obama took that despot Castro to a baseball game and gave the Iranian Mullahs barrels and barrels of cash so why shouldn't Trump have a summit meeting with Putin?

Trump is going in from a position of strength just having got NATO to increase spending and having the Justice Department indict Russians for interference so Putin will be his bitch.

Much different that when Obama was President and he was Putin bitch, isn't it? Or that joke of Crooked Hillary and her silly "reset button" bullshit after they gave her millions for the uranium deal.

When I was a kid, my parents had this one glass straw. I suppose it came in a mixed drink set; I've never seen another. I thought it was the coolest thing ever, and I got to use it when I was sick, to cheer me up.

I suppose it broke eventually. I've seen pics of some people carrying their own stainless steel straw. It's washable like a spoon. Wouldn't that be alright, if you were a dedicated straw person?

Straws are one of the lesser plastic weapons in our arsenal. The plastic that holds cans of beer or pop together is far more deadly. This is just more pc stupidity. Like trying to ban an AK47 because most gun violence is committed with a hand gun.:eusa_doh:
Easy, cut those up into little pieces. I do that and still will throw them into the recycle bin......just in case.

So, paper it is!

So, paper it is!

I'm on a well that is fed by an underground stream so I don't worry about water. I'm glad I'm not on nasty city water. I have a whole house filter, so mine is crystal clear and always icy cold.

So, paper it is!

So, paper it is!

I'm on a well that is fed by an underground stream so I don't worry about water. I'm glad I'm not on nasty city water. I have a whole house filter, so mine is crystal clear and always icy cold.

Uh....water all comes from the same place.

Where in the article does it say that it's being subsidized? And what liberal said that it should be?

I don't care what you think or want. Neither does Starbucks.

In case you didn't know, you mean nothing to anyone outside your conservative bubble. Which is 99.99% of the world.

I hope more businesses make the change.

Lol plastic cup, plastic lid....but ban plastic straws!!!!!!

Idiot loons

The article clearly says the lids are recyclable. The straws aren't.

Stop being so lazy and read the whole article. If you did read it, you might want to take a reading comprehension and retention course.

So, paper it is!

You can get them in a heavy plastic with a cup.

I have 4 of them. The straws can come out of the lid and be used for any other beverage in a cup or glass you want. The straws have a small band on them at the bottom to keep them with the lid but the straw will come off if you pull it out with the band side first.

Here's a link to one:

Economy Tumbler with Straw - 20 oz.

They explained why straws...they are so thin and light they escape the moving equipment that is supposed to get them buried in the landfill. Or drift off the garbage barges, or whatever. I still don't get how they all end up in the ocean, but okay.

Paper straws or no straws is fine, except I need one for a rootbeer float, still.

Where I live, we can put the plastic straws in the recycle bin. When I order from fast food places or in restaurants, I tell them i don't want a straw.

Have you ever seen any paper straws anymore? I haven't, but that's all we had when i was a kid. Many places that offer take out are using cardboard containers and paper bags too rather than plastic.

If the government would allow hemp to be grown by the farmers, then no more trees would have to be cut down for paper and no more oil would have to destroy the environment. I'm in NC and all of the tobacco farmers went broke when the cigarette manufacturers drastically cut back on production. They could now grow hemp and go back to making a living like they did before. I still can ride around here and see tobacco drying barns that are still standing, so they could be used once again for hemp.

Oh wait! I forgot that the government is in the pocket of the oil barons. Oil makes plastic too, so then there's that.
That worthless asshole Obama took that despot Castro to a baseball game and gave the Iranian Mullahs barrels and barrels of cash so why shouldn't Trump have a summit meeting with Putin?

Trump is going in from a position of strength just having got NATO to increase spending and having the Justice Department indict Russians for interference so Putin will be his bitch.

Much different that when Obama was President and he was Putin bitch, isn't it? Or that joke of Crooked Hillary and her silly "reset button" bullshit after they gave her millions for the uranium deal.

The farm bill of 2014 does exactly that.

However it's allowed in only to states that legalized industrial hemp.

It only allows colleges, universities and state agriculture agencies to grow it.

The states that allow industrialized hemp are:

Colorado, Oregon, California, Kentucky, Vermont, Montana, West Virginia, North Dakota and Maine.

Farm bill would allow hemp cultivation in some states

I'm sure the plastic straws were cheaper than paper ones, which would be the only reason to switch.

Who cares? Given how Woke StarFl*cks is, they will probably go Broke by 2020.

Who cares? Given how Woke StarFl*cks is, they will probably go Broke by 2020.

Starbucks isn't going to go broke.

That's just a ridiculous thing to say.

I don't drink coffee. I never have. I can't stand the smell or taste but Starbucks is a worldwide company making billions a year.

Just because I don't like coffee doesn't mean it's going to go broke or that I want it to go broke.

You expect Starbucks to go broke but give no reason you believe that. You just might not like Starbucks or you don't like that they are changing to help with our environment.

Lol plastic cup, plastic lid....but ban plastic straws!!!!!!

Idiot loons

The article clearly says the lids are recyclable. The straws aren't.

Stop being so lazy and read the whole article. If you did read it, you might want to take a reading comprehension and retention course.

Who are you? More importantly why should I give a shit?

You can see my screen name right on my post. I guess you're even too lazy to read that. That's who I am.

I care if you care at all. It makes no difference to me if you want to show everyone how lazy you are.

Have at it.

The last thing I'm going to do is stop you.

Forum List

Back