Star Trek is the worst.

the Enterprise was even designed by a Naval engineer

Actually, Matt Jefferies, the creator of the original Enterprise, was in the Army Air Corp as a flight engineer. He was never in The Navy.

The original concept for The Enterprise by Roddenberry was based on the C-57D from "Forbidden Planet", a movie which heavily inspired the series.

FPcapSaucer.jpg

Jefferies expanded on Roddenberry's saucer ship by adding external engines, like a WWII bomber, and a separated engineering section.

The iconic starship concept of Roddenberry and Jefferies stayed consistent throughout the entire series.

Last edited:
In fact, the premise of a "space western" is precisely how Roddenberry sold the show to Desilu Productions. He pitched it as "Wagon Train to The Stars".

And yes, the "good guys" almost always won in the end. It wouldn't make much sense to have an episodic TV series where they didn't win.

However, one of the best episodes of the series, and most enduring, "City on the Edge of Tomorrow", written by the incomparable scifi writer Harlan Ellison, ended with Kirk saving the crew but losing someone very special to him. Very unusual for sixties TV ... when the most popular shows on TV were "Batman" and reruns of "I Love Lucy".
I was in the Air Force at the time Batman was popular training for my future job. The barracks would empty out and we would all head over the rec room to watch Batman. Airmen used to count Batman programs until they graduated.

The thing is ... it didn't.

In the later spin-offs of the show, it turned out that Star Fleet withheld vital technologies, such as replicators, and warp drive from segments of their society.

The wars of the "Star Trek" universe (even those between Federation members) were still over land (in the form of habitable planets) and resources, this would only be the case if resources and land were limited commodities.

Even in Star Fleet, there was a hierarchy not based on merit or potential, but on the ability to social ingratiate yourself with other Star Fleet officers.

A semi-recurring character, Reg Barkley, on "Next Generation" turned out to be a brilliant engineer but socially awkward, which doomed him forever to the lowest ranks of the Star Fleet officer class.

No, even when writers are allowed to create their fictional universe from scratch, they cannot make the utopia work.

That's more to do with the writers.

A utopia were everyone is happy isn't good for writing. You need conflict to make a good story, like Reg having trouble fitting in.

And he did fit in better as time went one.

When I was a kid I liked Star Trek. But really, when you think about it, Star Trek is one of the worst television shows in history. The reason it survives is because it's science fiction, and the standards for science fiction is very low.
The writer Gene Roddenberry was a drug addict. He died from brain and heart damage.

When I was a kid I liked Star Trek. But really, when you think about it, Star Trek is one of the worst television shows in history. The reason it survives is because it's science fiction, and the standards for science fiction is very low.

It is because of CGI. Really film and effects brought the franchise back from the Pet Sematary

Idiot, the original series was researched in every way at every level with the Rand Corporation to determine scientific plausibility, and the Enterprise was even designed by a Naval engineer.
Many of those thing were for convenience, not science. Roddenberry said he invented the transporters, because it was a lot cheaper than filming shuttlecraft landings.

The shuttle rocket was too expensive to build for the first episodes. For most of the series the transporter served to teleport characters on and off the ship.

Transporter effects were inexpensive versus shuttle effects.

The problem with Star Trek is that the script is written by stupid people who know nothing about science, and don't bother to show respect towards science.

Also, the characters are stiff and boring, except in the original show.
Agreed. It seemed to me that every episode of Star Trek had the same plot.

I was in the Air Force at the time Batman was popular training for my future job. The barracks would empty out and we would all head over the rec room to watch Batman. Airmen used to count Batman programs until they graduated.
Batman and Star Trek came along when color TV became common.
Course the only time I saw one was when I went to my friend's house to watch it.
Saturday morning cartoons were the best.
I remember the Kennedys preempted my cartoons twice....when Lee Harvey and Sirhan Sirhan ruined my Saturday morning.

Last edited:
Actually, Matt Jefferies, the creator of the original Enterprise, was in the Army Air Corp as a flight engineer. He was never in The Navy.

The original concept for The Enterprise by Roddenberry was based on the C-57D from "Forbidden Planet", a movie which heavily inspired the series.

View attachment 545009

Jefferies expanded on Roddenberry's saucer ship by adding external engines, like a WWII bomber, and a separated engineering section.

The iconic starship concept of Roddenberry and Jefferies stayed consistent throughout the entire series.
Forbidden Planet is a re-write of The Tempest by Shakespeare.

The writer Gene Roddenberry was a drug addict. He died from brain and heart damage.

Roddenberry's drug dependency and use stemmed from his having to stay up all night rewriting scripts and other details for the original Star Trek. Back then, they had one executive producer and one producer even for a complex show as this. Today, it is common to have 9 producers just for a 30 minute sitcom.

It is because of CGI. Really film and effects brought the franchise back from the Pet Sematary

Actually, "Star Wars" brought "Star Trek" back from the grave.

Studios in the 1970's (both TV and movies) had given up on SciFi just as the American public had given up on The Space Race.

"Star Trek Phase II" -- the working title -- was to have been a re-booted "Star Trek" series in development hell for nearly a decade when "Star Wars" turned out to be a surprise hit.

The planned show returned the original cast as well as a few new, younger, actors, they had sets, costumes, and even a few scripts, but never got picked up by a network. Roddenberry even tried a petition campaign at conventions to get studios interested in the project.

So, when "Star Wars" took the entertainment world by storm in 1977, every studio started screaming... "WE NEED SCIFI NOW!"

They were desperate to get something, anything out there. So Paramount, who already had "STII" nearly camera ready, they took two scripts already written for the series and bashed them together to make "Star Trek: The Motion Picture". The movie was only a moderate success but the studio put together a better movie, with less input from Roddenberry, and created "Wrath of Khan". This movie was able to re-ignite interest in a series called "Next Generation" with an entirely new look and feel (not to mention replacing the new aged cast of The Original Series).

The problem with Star Trek is that the script is written by stupid people who know nothing about science, and don't bother to show respect towards science.

Also, the characters are stiff and boring, except in the original show.
you have no idea about some of the writers on that show do you?.....

Forum List

Back