Zone1 Spain’s Bishops Denounce Newly Approved Bill Allowing Abortions Without Parental Consent

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
Archbishop Luis Javier Argüello Garcia of Valladolid criticized Spain’s Council of Ministers Tuesday for approving an abortion bill, stressing that abortion “is never a right” and that the bill’s content is “totally symptomatic of a way of governing.”

Thank God there remain some actual Catholics in the Roman Catholic hierarchy. Maybe not in the Vatican or in South America, but SOMEWHERE.

Parenthetically, WTF is going on with Archbishop Arguello's name? There is no umlaut in Spanish, and why the fuck would it be over a "u"?

• Banned
Thank God there remain some actual Catholics in the Roman Catholic hierarchy. Maybe not in the Vatican or in South America, but SOMEWHERE.

Parenthetically, WTF is going on with Archbishop Arguello's name? There is no umlaut in Spanish, and why the fuck would it be over a "u"?

Government is moving forward without the consent of the church and it's superstitious beliefs.

This is a sign that the church needs to pull in its horns and make modifications to its dogma in order to survive.

It will for the money of course and has already started to accept Darwinian evolution.

There is no umlaut in Spanish, and why the fuck would it be over a "u"?

An umault is certainly very common over the letter "u", as in "Ich bin müde", or "I am tired".

And, while they're most commonly used in a Germanic language, they can also be used in the "romance languages", of which Spanish is one...

Government is moving forward without the consent of the church and it's superstitious beliefs.

This is a sign that the church needs to pull in its horns and make modifications to its dogma in order to survive.
Government once condoned slavery until the people rose up and protested the ruining of lives of the enslaved. In the same way the people will rise up and protest the ridding the world of those of the next generation.

The Church, if it is for what is right instead of what is convenient, will stand strong and become a leader when people protest a wrong government condones.

Government once condoned slavery until the people rose up and protested the ruining of lives of the enslaved. In the same way the people will rise up and protest the ridding the world of those of the next generation.

The Church, if it is for what is right instead of what is convenient, will stand strong and become a leader when people protest a wrong government condones.
The catholic church adopting a modified belief in Darwinian evolution, can be decided by you to be either convenient or right. I'll still maintain that it's convenient due to necessity, as well as being right.

The catholic church adopting a modified belief in Darwinian evolution
I know the Church was teaching evolution in Catholic schools in the early 1960s. I was there. No surprise to my grandmother because she learned it decades before when in nurses' training at a Catholic hospital. The Church's position (as it is for many things) is that if it is not in the New Testament or against Apostolic tradition, people can reach their own conclusions. This has included evolution, a planet-wide flood, etc.

The Church has always taught life is God's greatest gift to us. I have yet to hear that the Church has backed off on that teaching.

I know the Church was teaching evolution in Catholic schools in the early 1960s. I was there. No surprise to my grandmother because she learned it decades before when in nurses' training at a Catholic hospital. The Church's position (as it is for many things) is that if it is not in the New Testament or against Apostolic tradition, people can reach their own conclusions. This has included evolution, a planet-wide flood, etc.

The Church has always taught life is God's greatest gift to us. I have yet to hear that the Church has backed off on that teaching.
The catholic church's position on Darwinian evolution has been modified and has evolved since the 1960's.

And the topic of the thread is the church's evolving to accept abortion in Spain without parental consent.

And the topic of the thread is the church's evolving to accept abortion in Spain without parental consent.
The OP speaks of the Church criticizing government action. My points stand. The Church has no issue with evolution and hasn't for nearly a hundred years, if then. Second, the Church teaches that life is God's greatest gift. That teaching has not been changed--or even watered down.

I've been misled by the Christian churches but maybe not by the Catholic church if that's true.
Fundamentalist Christians, though a minority of Christians, are active and vocal. Catholics, while believing the Bible is inspired by God, do not hold the belief that every word in the Bible should be taken literally. I believe it is unfortunate that the media shines so much attention on the beliefs held by extremes and so little attention on the middle ground.

Catholics, while believing the Bible is inspired by God, do not hold the belief that every word in the Bible should be taken literally.
You can relegate the question on evolution/creation to minor importance too if that suits your agenda.

I was definitely led to believe by the Christian churches and their belief system that it was of the utmost importance!

But I'll say that perhaps not the Catholic church, even though that's being charitable in the interest of finding common ground.

Spain should be subject to economic sanction and diplomatic pressure until it relents from this human rights abuse.

I was taught in a Catholic HS in the 1960's that Darwinian Evolution was not inconsistent with the Bible. Genesis is ALLEGORICAL, not a literal history book.

And if you think it's noteworthy that the Church has modified its stance on Evolution over time, you need to look around. Evolution is taking a pounding among ACTUAL SCIENTISTS, who see its obvious flaws, contradictions, and impossibilities.. Then there's the Cambrian explosion...for which there is NO explanation in Darwin.

Forum List

Back