Southwest airlines pilot Tammy Jo is a hero!!!

My fear of flying has mostly to do with my lack of control of the situation, and the lack of knowing what can or is going to happen. I have the utmost faith in the machine itself and in the pilots, but my greatest fear has always been a 10 minute death plunge from altitude.

That being said I do fly at least 1-2 times a year, I just get drunk before I get on the plane.

And that doesn't stop me from watching Air Disasters religiously (just not in the two weeks before I am going to fly)

Which begs the question: Do you have the same apprehension getting in the back seat of a car, a bus, a train, a boat?

Not in control there either, and the risks are far higher.

Sure, but there is something comforting about traveling closer to the ground. You can't just drop out of the sky. If you have an accident on plane and the plane crashes, then you are pretty much guaranteed to die. People can survive accidents that occur on the ground thankfully.

Most air incidents are also very survivable, it's just that when the cascade of failure in an airplane reaches a certain point, it's usually a total failure.

"Incidents" maybe but not crashes. Most of the time, if the plane crashes, you are going to die with everyone else on board. Maybe bring a parachute? :D

Parachutes won't work on commercial jets, too much speed, too many untrained people, not the right doors to exit the plane at altitude.

And even some of the worst crashes can be survivable, but yes, most of the bad ones are with "all lost aboard"

A jet pack?

Which begs the question: Do you have the same apprehension getting in the back seat of a car, a bus, a train, a boat?

Sure, but there is something comforting about traveling closer to the ground. You can't just drop out of the sky. If you have an accident on plane and the plane crashes, then you are pretty much guaranteed to die. People can survive accidents that occur on the ground thankfully.

Most air incidents are also very survivable, it's just that when the cascade of failure in an airplane reaches a certain point, it's usually a total failure.

"Incidents" maybe but not crashes. Most of the time, if the plane crashes, you are going to die with everyone else on board. Maybe bring a parachute? :D

Parachutes won't work on commercial jets, too much speed, too many untrained people, not the right doors to exit the plane at altitude.

And even some of the worst crashes can be survivable, but yes, most of the bad ones are with "all lost aboard"

A jet pack?

That would probably lead to passengers in jet packs slamming into the ground, and anyone in the vicinity of that ground.

A jet pack?

That would probably lead to passengers in jet packs slamming into the ground, and anyone in the vicinity of that ground.

I'm only joking around.

I know what happened:

I recognize him! It was just Chaka from Land of the Lost!

iu

You know, after I saw this and heard that a woman was almost pulled through the window, I'm gonna rethink my stand on window seats as well.

Hawaii Air Lines ruined first class for me when I saw the roof get torn off of it's first class section of the jet.

Now window seats? Guess I'm gonna have to start driving or taking a train.

Wear the seat belt.... it stops you getting blown out of the roof and the window.
Wear a parachute. If you get sucked out the window you can film the plane crashing below while you float down.It'll go viral on JooT00B and you can buy your own plane

She died
To be sucked through a broken window....in an airplane....

can not think of a worst nightmare :eek-52: :shock:
I expect the near-500 mph wind rendered her unconscious pretty quickly.

but apparently she survived....she was sucked....then unsucked....

and she was there to tell the story
I thought she was the lone victim??

I don't know... I only know she was sucked...through the window ...in the plane ....you know....

And she lived to tell the story.

I think she was killed by a piece of shrapnel hitting her in the head and then was sucked out the window. Did she actually get sucked out though? I thought I heard on the news this morning that they were performing CPR on her?
From what I heard she got sucked partially out and passengers pulled her back in. She suffered from severe head trauma.

"I guess what happened," Padilla said, "is the engine blew up and busted the window, and the lady was actually partially sucked out of the window. I talked to the guy who pulled her back in, and he said that she was at about her waist, out the window, and her head, when she flew out the window, hit the window and she died on impact."

Passenger recalls horror of deadly Southwest flight: 'I thought I was dying'

Last edited:
Tammie Jo is one of the first female pilots in the Navy - Badass

Tammie Jo Shults, reportedly one of the pilots responsible for landing the Southwest Airlines flight 1380 that experienced an engine explosion earlier today, was also one of the first women pilots in the Navy and one of the first women to fly the F/A 18 fighter jet.

https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-pilot-who-saved-that-southwest-flight-is-a-badass-1825341463
“My brother says she’s the best pilot he knows,” Gary Shults said. “She’s a very caring, giving person who takes care of lots of people.”

Her mother-in-law also described her as a devout Christian, a faith she thinks may have contributed to her calm state amid the emergency landing.

“I know God was with her, and I know she was talking to God,” Virginia Shults said.

One of the fan blades broke loose
View attachment 188647

I figured a mechanic probably left a wrench sitting in front of the fan and forgot it.

I also don't see her as a "hero"....she's a competent pilot and did her job. You want a hero, how about flying a Huey with both skids shot off, your co-pilot and crew chief dead, and landing it perfectly in a cloud of dust, balanced on a pile of old tires at An Khe. Never caught his name but I never was so thankful to get out of a broken bird in my time there.

My fear of flying has mostly to do with my lack of control of the situation, and the lack of knowing what can or is going to happen. I have the utmost faith in the machine itself and in the pilots, but my greatest fear has always been a 10 minute death plunge from altitude.

That being said I do fly at least 1-2 times a year, I just get drunk before I get on the plane.

And that doesn't stop me from watching Air Disasters religiously (just not in the two weeks before I am going to fly)

Line up at aft doors, wait until the plane is below 15k/ft then take your chances. Skydiving is a RUSH!!!

Wait until the plane is below 15k/ft the take your chances. Skydiving is a RUSH!!!

When properly trained and equipped it may be a rush, but without that it would be a "splat"

Wait until the plane is below 15k/ft the take your chances. Skydiving is a RUSH!!!

When properly trained and equipped it may be a rush, but without that it would be a "splat"

Not sure if KissMy thought that one all the way through :)

Hopefully they can slow the plane below 300/knots, If you arch back, arms & legs spread belly to earth, you can keep from spinning out of control, the emergency shoot will deploy below 2k/ft. If you see a mountain, bring both hands in to pull the cord!!!

Got to consider surviving the landing area, freezing shark infested ocean or snow packed mountain. Pull the cord high enough & could glide 5 miles to a safer landing area.

Last edited:
One of the fan blades broke loose
View attachment 188647

I figured a mechanic probably left a wrench sitting in front of the fan and forgot it.

I also don't see her as a "hero"....she's a competent pilot and did her job. You want a hero, how about flying a Huey with both skids shot off, your co-pilot and crew chief dead, and landing it perfectly in a cloud of dust, balanced on a pile of old tires at An Khe. Never caught his name but I never was so thankful to get out of a broken bird in my time there.
That would have FOD'd the engine ASAP...not 20 minutes into a flight. Sounds like a compressor or turbine blade let loose. We had one happen on one of our C-130s at Barbers Pt...FORTUNATELY, it was on the ground, taxi'ing away from the fuel pits....blew the entire leading edge off. (blade hit the hydraulic and fuel lines and the hot bleed air line.....kaboom!)

Forum List

Back