Sometimes i lose money on jobs

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
This is one of them.

Current job is 6k in labor. Should have been done in 2 to 3 weeks. Am now at the end of week 2 with only demo and some rough in to show for it.

20220228_081116.jpg
20220228_081133.jpg
20220309_131405.jpg
20220309_131410.jpg

Old disgusting bathroom to a partially gutted and redesigned bathroom.
Shower and tub are being swapped. 72" high back tub is going where the shower 3' shower was and a 6' X 5' shower is going where that antique tub was.
All the tub plumbing is done. Most of the shower rough in is done. Got to build 4' walls all around the shower with the dual shower valves going on the half wall just inside the new door location so they can torn on the water without stepping into the shower.

Problem is now the hvac has to be moved. All the electrical is now wrong and he wants the ceiling popcorn removed.

None of this was in the original bid and I'm not interested in doing any of it.

They're lucky I haven't walked off the job to be honest.
A week and a half after we started we were informed that we are no longer allowed to use the other restrooms in the house per the wife's demands. She bitches everyday about the sawdust and regular dust like we're supposed to be whole home maids and not a FUCKING CONSTRUCTION COMPANY.

My nerves are truly being tested.

And for those curious the customer isn't in a "nice neighborhood "

changes are xtra......Brother does sheet rock, right now his bids are only good for two months due to unstable prices

All I can say is I understand. The only advice I can give is to keep plugging away at it get it done with pride and once done move on accept any monetary loss and hold the temper until you get home or a gym and take it out on a punching bag or an aluminum trash can.

Bid jobs are the fucking worst. It's been cost plus for me for a few years now. Plenty of work out there without working for some asshole who is going to add complications to the job and then hold you to your bid.

• Banned
Bid jobs are the fucking worst. It's been cost plus for me for a few years now. Plenty of work out there without working for some asshole who is going to add complications to the job and then hold you to your bid.
To be fair he isn't holding me to my bid. I'm just not expressing interest in the additional work.

I don't mind a change here of there and often won't even charge for it but this job is now in its 10th? Revision? Lol

I'm done....

Will be lucky to not walk before the end of it

To be fair he isn't holding me to my bid. I'm just not expressing interest in the additional work.

I don't mind a change here of there and often won't even charge for it but this job is now in its 10th? Revision? Lol

I'm done....

Will be lucky to not walk before the end of it
Yes, we get shitty clients from time to time. They eventually find out that word gets around and suddenly they are getting charged double if they can get anyone at all to come work on their house. It's really kind of nice how we are in competition but look out for each other at the same time.

Sheetrock prices have not changed in my area in YEARS but mud may have and obviously other things do
Going up fast.....if you are a small operator good luck,,,,please move to the end of the line. Have a surcharge and another. They are supposed to notify him of any price changes but never do until he gets the bill. Been with em for yrs and is rdy to dump em

• Banned
Going up fast.....if you are a small operator good luck,,,,please move to the end of the line. Have a surcharge and another. They are supposed to notify him of any price changes but never do until he gets the bill. Been with em for yrs and is rdy to dump em
I've been paying roughly 9 to 10 bucks per 32 sq ft for YEARS.

He's been at it since he was 18 and owns his own company. almost 40 yrs. Does very well
I didn't claim otherwise lol.

I'm just telling you the facts. I'm in my mid 50's and I've been at this my entire life. Sheetrock prices are the only stable thing in this economy despite what your buddy is telling you

I didn't claim otherwise lol.

I'm just telling you the facts. I'm in my mid 50's and I've been at this my entire life. Sheetrock prices are the only stable thing in this economy despite what your buddy is telling you
Dude maybe in your town......has more time and experience than you and why would he lie to me...maybe things are slow in you neck of the woods,,,,who knows
USG Price Increases As Of Jan 3, 2022 - Marjam
that was just the beginning of the yr

Forum List

Back