Something You Won't Hear From The Left

Something you won't hear from TemplarKormac:

No more Twinkies. I've had enough. :tongue:

After Democrats tried to recall Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker a year and a half ago, he has gone on to rack up a $976 million surplus for his state. Many Democrats said the failure to recall him would be a "blemish" on the record, but as it turns out, his leadership has resulted in a boon for Wisconsinites. This won't be something the left will acknowledge, but a Republican Governor is showing Obama and the rest of America how it's done.

MADISON — Wisconsin’s finances are more than $900 million stronger through mid-2015 than previously expected, the nonpartisan Legislative Fiscal Bureau reported Thursday.

The $911.9 million in additional revenue includes $893 million in higher-than-expected tax collections plus lower-than-expected department spending.
Beloit Hilton

Gov. Scott Walker said in a statement that the additional revenue “is a sign Wisconsin’s economy continues to grow and add jobs, and it’s more great news for the hardworking taxpayers.”

The state’s improved financial picture lays the groundwork for Walker to announce next week a tax cut package that will include property and income tax

reductions.

“We made tough, but prudent, decisions over the last three years, and now our bold reforms are producing bold results for the people of Wisconsin,” Walker said. “The additional revenue should be returned to taxpayers because it’s their money, and my administration will work with the Legislature to determine the most prudent course of action.”

Democrats called for Walker to direct the money toward education.

According to the fiscal bureau:

The state now has $976.6 million that it could tap for tax cuts in this biennium. That includes a previously anticipated balance of $129.7 million, minus $65 million that must be held in reserves.

If the state decides to spend the extra money, rather than reduce taxes, $443 million would automatically be deposited in the state’s rainy day fund.

If the state takes no action, its structural deficit — the amount expenditures are projected to exceed revenues in 2015-17 — would be erased and the state would be looking at a more than $1 billion projected structural surplus.

Walker’s spokeswoman Jocelyn Webster said Wednesday the governor will lay out a detailed plan next week in his state of the state address for what to do with the surplus.

Wisconsin?s surplus tops $900 million - Beloit Daily News: News

Do try to keep in touch, this thread has been active for several days and adequately debated. One result which likely makes callous conservatives happy is that his efforts hurt the working men and women in Wisconsin. No longer are the Republicans satisfied with a war limited to women, gays, lesbians and immigrants - now they have declared war on Unions and government employees.

So working men and women in Wisconsin are somehow hurt by there being more jobs and their government doing it's job in keeping strict watch of their budget?

Scott Walker brags that he balanced the budget, but this is like saying we kept our promise to call the Legislature into session. Wisconsin law requires a balanced budget – its up to the administration and Legislature to do so in a way that cares for our citizens and respects our traditions.
When Scott Walker was running for governor, he promised to balance budgets Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP); however, the budget he claims as balanced is anything but when using GAAP. By gutting public education to the tune of $2.6 billion and slashing more than $500 million from public healthcare, along with skillfully kicking the can down the road with accounting tricks that pass debt onto future budgets, Walker has given the appearance of a balanced budget.
But when using the GAAP that Walker promised to use, Wisconsin’s deficit will actually be more than $3 billion at the end of the biennium – a larger deficit than Walker inherited.

-Scott Walker Raised Taxes on Seniors, Working Families

-Scott Walker Made the Largest Cuts to Education in Wisconsin History; Says He "Added" to Education

-Scott Walker Supports the Segregated Fund Raids He Once Was Against

-Scott Walker Says Wisconsin Is Broke, Buys iPads for Privatized Agency

-Scott Walker Uses Taxpayer Money to Fund a Koch Brothers Banner

Scott Walker Tool Kit: Fighting Talking Points With Facts

Number of homeless teens grows in Milwaukee
Number of homeless teens grows in Milwaukee | Milwaukee County - WISN Home

Homelessness a growing, hidden problem in rural Wisconsin
Read more: Homelessness a growing, hidden problem in rural Wisconsin : Wsj

School lunch program reflects rise in poverty in Wisconsin
Wisconsin school lunch program statistics reflect rise in poverty - Milwaukee - Milwaukee Business Journal

Walker Won't Create Jobs, But Will Force You to Look for Them or Starve

Wisconsin's terrible jobs performance is so anomalous that this weekend Walker announced $100 million in new spending to "ante up on jobs" says the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. A great big bold number, but a closer look shows that the money is slated to build a faster system to track job data -- read, create a state-based alternative to the federal numbers which keep dishing up bad news -- and to invest in technical schools and the university system, which Walker had previously gutted with some $300 million in cuts.

In an unbelievably cruel move, he wants some folks to prove they are looking for work in order to qualify for Wisconsin's Foodshare program. Each month, people who have lost their jobs, who are living on a fixed income, who are retired, disabled or not able to work, get a little help from this lifesaving program. Now Walker is saying to many, look for the jobs I have failed to create or drop dead.

Scott Walker Dropped the Bomb Two Years Ago Today and Wisconsin?s Economy Is still Shattered | PR Watch

One has to admire the cherrypicking you did there, TS.

I'm more impressed at your sidestepping the facts. Impressive.

Democrats called for Walker to direct the money toward education.

According to the fiscal bureau:

The state now has $976.6 million that it could tap for tax cuts in this biennium. That includes a previously anticipated balance of $129.7 million, minus $65 million that must be held in reserves.

If the state decides to spend the extra money, rather than reduce taxes, $443 million would automatically be deposited in the state’s rainy day fund.

If the state takes no action, its structural deficit — the amount expenditures are projected to exceed revenues in 2015-17 — would be erased and the state would be looking at a more than $1 billion projected structural surplus.

Is it any surprise that the Democrats want to spend the money instead of either paying on the debt or returning it to the tax payers?

Another duplicate thread.
In the other thread I noted in my state (Minnesota), we had a $1.1 billion dollar surplus and we have 4.6% unemployment rate all done by a progressive liberal governor. When Mark Dayton took office there was a projected $6.2 billion dollars shortfall for his first year (Walker's was $3.3 billion). Dayton assumed his office at the same time Walker did. Also Minnesota ranks 15th in job creation where as Wisconsin ranks 37th.
As I noted, sometimes conservative policies work and sometimes liberal policies work. Ain't that amazing. Yet neither conservatives or liberals will acknowledge the success of the other sides approach!
Why do both sides not admit there are multiple ways that successfully address major issues?

In the other thread I noted in my state (Minnesota), we had a $1.1 billion dollar surplus and we have 4.6% unemployment rate all done by a progressive liberal governor. When Mark Dayton took office there was a projected $6.2 billion dollars shortfall for his first year (Walker's was $3.3 billion). Dayton assumed his office at the same time Walker did. Also Minnesota ranks 15th in job creation where as Wisconsin ranks 37th.
As I noted, sometimes conservative policies work and sometimes liberal policies work. Ain't that amazing. Yet neither conservatives or liberals will acknowledge the success of the other sides approach!
Why do both sides not admit there are multiple ways that successfully address major issues?

Perhaps, kiwi, he's learning that taxing and spending don't always garner great results. All in all, the need to pay down the deficit and achieve surpluses has been a conservative idea. Hence the term "conservative," or "frugal." Just another testament to what conservatives have been fighting for for the past 5 years.

Perhaps, kiwi, he's learning that taxing and spending don't always garner great results. All in all, the need to pay down the deficit and achieve surpluses has been a conservative idea. Hence the term "conservative," or "frugal." Just another testament to what conservatives have been fighting for for the past 5 years.

Actually NOW Dayton is going to push for lowering taxes on the Middle Class and eliminate three sales taxes on businesses.

Forum List

Back