"Solar Generator"

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Not really a generator in the traditional sense. I got this to run a 12 volt refrigerator at night. It works great... recharges from 12v (cigarette lighter) in five hours.

The 60v solar panel was on sale last week for $150... and I couldn't resist. I'm not solar savvy... so I thought this would be a nice introduction to solar power. I was impressed with how quickly it charged. Mostly sunny day... out from 10am to 3:15 pm to 100%... Started at 39%.

IMG_20220118_095548647_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20220118_095548647_HDR~3.jpg

IMG_20220118_110957711.jpg

IMG_20220118_121613477_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20220118_134640989_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220118_145255423_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220118_151501749.jpg

Last edited:
... recharges from 12v (cigarette lighter) in five hours. The 60v solar panel was on sale last week for $150... and I couldn't resist. Mostly sunny day... out from 10am to 3:15 pm to 100%... Started at 39%.

Hmm:
  1. Wonder how many recharges $150 would buy you if you just plugged into the wall?
  2. Needed a sunny day. What about a cloudy day as many of mine are?
  3. Still took the better part of a day (the prime hours) to recharge even from 39%?

I have two of the 1000 watt size. I live where winters are very cold so I keep it in my car along with an electric blanket, in case of breakdowns. They're great for power outages, to run lights and a TV and computer.

Not really a generator in the traditional sense. I got this to run a 12 volt refrigerator at night. It works great... recharges from 12v (cigarette lighter) in five hours.

The 60v solar panel was on sale last week for $150... and I couldn't resist. I'm not solar savvy... so I thought this would be a nice introduction to solar power. I was impressed with how quickly it charged. Mostly sunny day... out from 10am to 3:15 pm to 100%... Started at 39%.

View attachment 589911

View attachment 589912

View attachment 589909

View attachment 589915

View attachment 589910

View attachment 589914

View attachment 589913
Just so you know, those solar foldable portables are known to be less efficient then claimed especially in comparison to stationary panels and the slight flexible flat panels are the most efficient even working on cloudy days and early sunrise.
Panels go by watts not volts whereby the flex panels are usually 100 watts at 18v.
Solid panels can be 100 or 200 or 300 watt panels.
Batteries (deep cell for recharging reasons) by Amp Hours. And inverters are listed by steady max wattage it can handle with a peak spike amount listed as well. Solar controllers list by amps allowing yourself 20 amps per 2 panels 30 amp controller for 3 panels etc.
Cheepest set up is using marine (deep cell) batteries sold at 1000 amp hours.
Need about 1 panel per battery unless you get 200 or 300 watt panels.
A standard portable a/c or large space heater will run aprox 1-2 hour off & on per fully charged battery. A usb fan can run all day and not drain the solar charging battery, a small refridge can be found at only 60 watts probably just drains 1 battery per day and can be offset by 1 panel.
Pure Sine (more expensive) inverters are needed for Microwaves, electronics, a/c units, otherwise they will eventually fail the inverter and risk damage to sensitive equipment, some things like Microwaves might not work at all unless you use pure sine inverters with way more max wattage then stated on the specs of the microwave. That's why getting 3,000 or even 5,000 watt inverters with 6,000-10,000 peaks is more likely needed to handle all the high amps at once.

*note filling the batteries back slightly past the plates so they aren't exposed and dried (if they aren't sealed) with distilled water every 2 years, helps keep them longer. They should last 7-10 years if you are doing a cost analysis.

Last edited:
Hmm:
  1. Wonder how many recharges $150 would buy you if you just plugged into the wall?
  2. Needed a sunny day. What about a cloudy day as many of mine are?
  3. Still took the better part of a day (the prime hours) to recharge even from 39%?
1) It says guaranteed 500 charges to 80% capacity.

2) I suspect less, the meter on the left dropped to 14w from 40w in cloud cover.

3) I was thrilled it charged that quickly...I expected much slower...but, as I said...I don't know much about solar. This is more of a hands on experiment for me.

1) It says guaranteed 500 charges to 80% capacity.

2) I suspect less, the meter on the left dropped to 14w from 40w in cloud cover.

3) I was thrilled it charged that quickly...I expected much slower...but, as I said...I don't know much about solar. This is more of a hands on experiment for me.
Haven't yet had the chance to charge mine with the solar panels. I'm looking forward to it.

Here in Florida we take emergency preparedness seriously because of the hurricane threat.

I haven't done it myself but I know several people that have tried the solar panel set up like you have.

It is OK to power small items (if the sun is out) but it is not going to work very well for anything substantial.

Most of us just have a backup generator. I have a 2350 watt inverter generator. It uses a gallon of gas in about ten hours running on load. If I stagger the start up I can run my refrigerator, a backup 5K BTU window AC unit, small TV, a couple of LED lights and a fan. Enough to get us by for a few days until power is restored.

I start up my generator every couple of months to make sure it is OK. I also run the backup AC unit. At the beginning of the hurricane season I usually store up 25 or 30 gallons of non ethonol gas. If I don't use the gas for the generator I just put it in the cars when the hurricane season is over.

Here in Florida we take emergency preparedness seriously because of the hurricane threat.

I haven't done it myself but I know several people that have tried the solar panel set up like you have.

It is OK to power small items (if the sun is out) but it is not going to work very well for anything substantial.

Most of us just have a backup generator. I have a 2350 watt inverter generator. It uses a gallon of gas in about ten hours running on load. If I stagger the start up I can run my refrigerator, a backup 5K BTU window AC unit, small TV, a couple of LED lights and a fan. Enough to get us by for a few days until power is restored.

I start up my generator every couple of months to make sure it is OK. I also run the backup AC unit. At the beginning of the hurricane season I usually store up 25 or 30 gallons of non ethonol gas. If I don't use the gas for the generator I just put it in the cars when the hurricane season is over.
Great idea, storing up the ETOH free gas. I need to remember to do that. I do have a smaller dual fuel generator and I've got several tanks of propane, but it's good to have options. Also, somebody with the city told me that I can connect my natural gas line to my generator but I have my doubts.

Great idea, storing up the ETOH free gas. I need to remember to do that. I do have a smaller dual fuel generator and I've got several tanks of propane, but it's good to have options. Also, somebody with the city told me that I can connect my natural gas line to my generator but I have my doubts.

My understanding is that the propane and NG powered generators are less efficient than gas powered.

Jackery's are on sale for prime days.

5% more than January price...$209.

I liked the first one so much we ordered a second one today.

I believe they are all on sale.

My folks used a 1500 to power their fridge at night after hurricane Ian and charged it during the day while the fridge ran off the generator.

Since gas was hard to come by, this stretched their gasoline reserves until power was restored.

During the big freeze I used my 60 watt panel to charge my phone and all my batteries. It charged them as fast as being plugged in to the wall did. Hour or so.
5v charges won't drain a car battery, so an "inverter adapter" for the lighter 12v socket in a car can do the trick of charging phones, even laptops can be charged or used pluged into the lighter. Of course in your situation you don't want to have to go outside to a freezing car, but for future references for others reading this, it's good reference for future blackouts/grid issues and longated outages during damaging storms.

Forum List

Back