So We're Sending Biden?

So Obama can go to Mandela's funeral but he is sending Biden to Sharon's funeral? Another slap in the face to our closet ally.

Obama honors Sharon's dedication to Israel, Biden to go to funeral | Reuters

(Reuters) - President Barack Obama on Saturday lauded the late Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's dedication to the Jewish state and reaffirmed an "unshakable commitment" to Israel's security as Vice President Joe Biden prepared to attend the funeral.

Obama called Sharon - who died at age 85 on Saturday and had been in a coma for the entirety of Obama's presidency - "a leader who dedicated his life to the state of Israel." He said he sent his "deepest condolences" to Sharon's family.

Fine with me. I would bet at least a cyber dollar that Biden and his wife know how to behave at a state funeral..

Seeing as how Biden knew Sharon, and Obama has likely never met him, this doesn't seem that strange to me.

I am always quite amused at people taking offense by proxy for other people, though.

I am not offended. I am relieved. Obama is an embarrassment to this great nation.

Nelson Mandela had a world wide impact, and was pivatol in ending one of the last enduring racist regimes. He was also instrumental in taking his country successfully through the aftermath without bloodshed. He was deeply respected and admired around the world.

Ariel Sharon is not Nelson Mandela.

The only slap in the face is the insult in making such a comparison. Men like Mandela are a tiny handful of Great Men. Like Ghandi, Martin Luther King, Abraham Lincoln (in my opinion). Sharon is not in that category and that in no way diminishes what he did for Israel.

We don't expect it to be like Nelson Mandela.

But Ariel Sharon was a symbol to the saying that the hand carres is also the hand that hits. And like that he will remembered.

A great man who owned respect. But also a leader who caused much pain and sorrow to the people. The builder and the destroyer of his nation.

He should be remembered and respected as such.

I agree - but the comparison is being made with Nelson Mandela's funeral, and I think it's an inaccurate comparison. National leaders do not go to the funeral of every national leader. The expectation that he should have because he went to Mandela's is shoddy (imo) :)

I am glad our President is not attending the funeral of the Butcher of Beirut.

So Obama can go to Mandela's funeral but he is sending Biden to Sharon's funeral? Another slap in the face to our closet ally.

(Reuters) - President Barack Obama on Saturday lauded the late Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's dedication to the Jewish state and reaffirmed an "unshakable commitment" to Israel's security as Vice President Joe Biden prepared to attend the funeral.

Obama called Sharon - who died at age 85 on Saturday and had been in a coma for the entirety of Obama's presidency - "a leader who dedicated his life to the state of Israel." He said he sent his "deepest condolences" to Sharon's family.

Nelson Mandela had a world wide impact, and was pivatol in ending one of the last enduring racist regimes. He was also instrumental in taking his country successfully through the aftermath without bloodshed. He was deeply respected and admired around the world.

The only slap in the face is the insult in making such a comparison. Men like Mandela are a tiny handful of Great Men. Like Ghandi, Martin Luther King, Abraham Lincoln (in my opinion). Sharon is not in that category and that in no way diminishes what he did for Israel.

Ariel Sharon was the head of state of our closest ally in the middle east. Just my opinion, but I believe our president should have gone.

That anti-Semitic dog can't grasp it. :lol:

Ariel Sharon was the head of state of our closest ally in the middle east. Just my opinion, but I believe our president should have gone.

I guess as I see it - not every former prime minister of our allies necessarily requires a president attending...:dunno:

Pres. Obama didn't attend Margret Thatcher's funeral and no one is called him anti-british.

Yet, for not going to Sharon's funeral people are accusing Obama of anti-semitism.

Go figure......... :cool:

Pres. Obama didn't attend Margret Thatcher's funeral and no one is called him anti-british.

Yet, for not going to Sharon's funeral people are accusing Obama of anti-semitism.

British press, at the time (no link available now so don't even try to deflect), said He had been asked not to attend so decorum might prevail.

I guess as I see it - not every former prime minister of our allies necessarily requires a president attending...:dunno:

Obama is two for two in that regard. He didn't even bother to send Biden to Thatcher's funeral.

British press, at the time (no link available now so don't even try to deflect), said He had been asked not to attend so decorum might prevail.
Maybe Obama's returning of the Churchill bust statue had something to do with it.......... :cool:

Maybe Obama's returning of the Churchill bust statue had something to do with it.......... :cool:

In fairness, that may have shown Obama to have a little class. I'm sure, had He left it up Moochelle, she'd have just put it in the trash.

Israeli is a client state, nothing more. I admire Sharon and Nelson, and I would have sent the Secretary of State to both funerals.

They don't need Obmama there anyhow.

Obama can't go because he will constantly be reminded of one thing; NO " palestinian " STATE !!!!! :smiliehug:

Former Israeli PM passes...

Ariel Sharon dies after 8-year fight for his life
1/11/2014 ~ Netanyahu calls former PM ‘courageous warrior,’ lauds his ‘central role in the struggle for the security of Israel’ • Body to lie in state at Knesset today • State funeral planned for tomorrow at Negev ranch.
Sharon, one of the most important and controversial figures in Israel’s history, died on Saturday afternoon at Sheba Medical Center at the age of 85. Sharon, who fought terrorists in his military career and rivals in politics, lost the final battle for his health more than eight years after the stroke that ended his six decades of public service. Following Sharon’s death, his sons Gilad and Omri, who had remained by his side during his hospitalization, went to the family’s Sycamore Ranch in the Negev to start planning their father’s funeral. They also visited the grave of their mother, Lily, who died in 2000.

The Ministerial Committee on Symbols and Ceremonies decided on Saturday night that Sharon will have a military funeral on Monday at 2:30 p.m., on the Hill of the Anemones outside the ranch, before being buried beside Lily, his wife of 37 years. Current and former world leaders and senior officials are expected to come to Israel for the funeral, including US Vice President Joseph Biden, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and former British prime minister Tony Blair. Sharon’s body will lie in state at the Knesset on Sunday, from noon to 6 p.m., to enable the public to pay its last respects. A memorial service will take place on Monday at 10 a.m.

President Shimon Peres called Sharon a great and courageous leader who loved his people and was loved by them. He said that Sharon knew no fear and that he would miss him personally as a friend. Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu expressed “deep sorrow” over the death of Sharon, once a tough political rival, saying he was “first and foremost a courageous warrior and an outstanding general, one of the greatest commanders in the IDF.” “Israel bows its head on the passing” of Sharon, the prime minister said. “Ariel Sharon played a central role in the struggle for the security of Israel throughout the years.”

Netanyahu’s statement focused on Sharon’s military exploits, saying he played a central part in the struggle for Israel’s security his entire life, and citing his role during the War of Independence, the 1956 Sinai Campaign and the Six Day War, as well as “the critical role” he played when he led his men across the Suez Canal during the 1973 Yom Kippur War. He also praised him for establishing the Paratroopers 101 commando unit and for promoting the concepts of retribution and initiating action when fighting terrorism.

MORE

See also:

Obama honors Sharon's dedication to Israel, Biden to go to funeral
WASHINGTON Sat Jan 11, 2014 - President Barack Obama on Saturday lauded the late Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's dedication to the Jewish state and reaffirmed an "unshakable commitment" to Israel's security as Vice President Joe Biden prepared to attend the funeral.
Obama called Sharon - who died at age 85 on Saturday and had been in a coma for the entirety of Obama's presidency - "a leader who dedicated his life to the state of Israel." He said he sent his "deepest condolences" to Sharon's family. The United States has long been a critical ally of Israel. But Obama has had a strained relationship with the current Israeli prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, on issues including Israel's settlement policies - championed by Sharon - and the current U.S. diplomatic drive to prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons capability.

At the same time, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry is leading a renewed effort to broker an agreement on a "two-state solution" in which Israel would exist peacefully alongside a new Palestinian state created in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, lands seized by Israel in the 1967 war. "We reaffirm our unshakable commitment to Israel's security and our appreciation for the enduring friendship between our two countries and our two peoples," Obama said in a statement released by the White House. "We continue to strive for lasting peace and security for the people of Israel, including through our commitment to the goal of two states living side-by-side in peace and security," the Democratic president added.

Obama will not attend the memorial service for Sharon, with Biden instead leading the U.S. delegation. Sharon had been in a coma since suffering a stroke at the height of his power as prime minister in January 2006. Obama took office in 2009. State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said Kerry also will not attend the funeral "due to previously scheduled meetings in Paris focused on the situation in Syria and the Middle East peace process."

Kerry issued a more personal statement concerning Sharon, referring to him by his nickname, Arik. "During his years in politics, it is no secret that there were times the United States had differences with him. But whether you agreed or disagreed with his positions - and Arik was always crystal clear about where he stood - you admired the man who was determined to ensure the security and survival of the Jewish State," Kerry said in a statement. "I will never forget meeting with this big bear of a man when he became prime minister as he sought to bend the course of history toward peace, even as it meant testing the patience of his own longtime supporters and the limits of his own, lifelong convictions in the process," Kerry said of the burly Sharon.

MORE

Forum List

Back