So the CPI report came out today 14-Mar-2023

Of course food is up around 50%. Then you have the rising cost of energy.
A spike near 2014 and a dip 20-21, but propane has been pretty stable since 2008.

Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 8.37.45 PM.png

Gee I wonder why washer fluid 4.59
inflation.jpeg
aggahahhahahahhs.gif

I haven't bought it in a while cause the service guys usually fill it up ,and I keep the car clean ,waxed an original rain x'd for the windshields

Producer price increases, purchasing manager orders, all go into the mix as far as gaging future prices.

This is the commodities market....and it's a highly complicated type trading. Based in part on the FOREX exchange.

Food and energy are interdependent and extremely volatile. December wheat contracts are different than spring wheat contracts....a completely different critter than rough rice or Sugar or Coffee or oranges.
Energy often becomes fertilizers. (Nitrates)

So these things are too volatile and traders are accustomed to trading with these things out of the inflation rate. BUT. Food and energy have increased dramatically for so long now they are affecting the core rates....because everything requires labor and shipping. And these costs have risen. (Container index is down because of supply....not necessarily because of costs)

Transports are going to be the next industry that will face a crisis like the banking industry. Just a heads up.

If the gubbermint is saying 6% CPI you put a 4x on that number and that will equate to retail pricing. IOW about a 24% increase on all durable goods you might purchase....this is homes, lawnmowers, washing machines, and vehicles. Of course clothing is included....but it shouldn't be.

OK, so which bunch did? I looked but could not find it.

I saw where Reagan's bunch did it as far as figuring COLA increases for SS.....He must have figured oldsters did not eat or drive. ;)

It started in 1975.

I saw where Reagan's bunch did it as far as figuring COLA increases for SS..

Link?

Food and energy are interdependent and extremely volatile. December wheat contracts are different than spring wheat contracts....a completely different critter than rough rice or Sugar or Coffee or oranges.
Energy often becomes fertilizers. (Nitrates)

Yeah, but that's by the Fed's loaded definition and terms of controversy.

When you have this kind of strategic targeting of consumer products going on by government, it's no longer what we'd call naturally volitale in the real world...

When you have that kind of stuff going on, making them independent and removed from the core calculation is just manipulation of reality, knowing fully well the rise in cost is not in any way volatile by nature, but rising by design.

It's like pointing a gun at someone and saying I intend to put four slugs in you, but I'm going gonna count two of em on paper, because, by my model, the other two might miss.

Even though I'm aiming directly at you at point blank range and my intent is to put all four in you.

Last edited:
Yeah, but that's by the Fed's loaded definition and terms of controversy.

When you have this kind of strategic targeting of consumer products going on by government, it's no longer what we'd call naturally volitale in the real world...

When you have that kind of stuff going on, making them independent and removed from the core calculation is just manipulation of reality, knowing fully well the rise in cost is not in any way volatile by nature, but rising by design.

It's like pointing a gun at someone and saying I intend to put four slugs in you, but I'm going gonna count two of em on paper, because, by my model, the other two might miss.

Even though I'm aiming directly at you at point blank range and my intent is to put all four in you.

Core consumer Inflation rates are for Wall Street...not your average person who doesn't trade stocks.

It isn't accurate either as a correction won't come out until next quarter. The last quarter's just got "adjusted" higher than was originally stated. These numbers are for complicated formulas for determining purchasing power of the dollar vx euros, pesos, reas, lira, marks, or whatever. Not necessarily a true reflection of Inflation as you would see it.

Forum List

Back