So politics have a direct link to State Tax revenues...

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011

NY state tax revenue reportedly falls nearly 20% as Florida, Texas see boom​

New York has collected 19.5% less in levies while
California has seen its state tax revenue fall by a whopping 24.9%, according to data revealed by Bloomberg News.

Meanwhile, Texas reported a 12.2% growth in state tax revenue while
Florida has collected 9.9% more in levies so far this fiscal year, according to the data compiled by Urban-Brooking Tax Policy Center.

Hmmm... let's see NY/California ... "woke", Democrat governors, ... WHY if they are so "for the people"???
Now Texas/Florida... hmmm... GOP governors,
and results of a Democrat President who said:
"I would, in fact, make sure that there is, we immediate surge to the border, "

Illegal immigrants took the invitation!!

Who also said: "I guarantee We Are Going To Get Rid of Fossil Fuels” September 06, 2019, 5:49 PM

10 States People Are Fleeing​

#1 California... # 2 New York.

And 10 States People Are Moving To​

Hmmm... #1 Texas # 2 Florida...

OH wait... those are White Supremacists state for sure and have again non-Democrat politicians!

The ten states with the highest cost of living are :
Hawaii, Massachusetts, California, New York, Alaska, Maryland, Oregon, Connecticut, New Hampshire, and Vermont

California has seen its state tax revenue fall by a whopping 24.9%, according to data revealed by Bloomberg News.

Florida has collected 9.9% more in levies so far this fiscal year, according to the data compiled by Urban-Brooking Tax Policy Center.

Hmmm... let's see NY/California ... "woke", Democrat governors, ... WHY if they are so "for the people"???

Who also said: "I guarantee We Are Going To Get Rid of Fossil Fuels” September 06, 2019, 5:49 PM

OH wait... those are White Supremacists state for sure and have again non-Democrat politicians!

Hawaii, Massachusetts, California, New York, Alaska, Maryland, Oregon, Connecticut, New Hampshire, and Vermont

There's a very simple solution to their loss in tax revenue. All they have to do is tax the remaining residents more.

Saying that one or the other state is seeing an increase or decrease is meaningless on its own. You need reference points in order to support your assertions. It's easy to increase your revenues if they were next to nothing to begin with. And it's easy to see drops in revenues if they were already very high. An increase in one state could still leave that state far below another state that has seen a decrease.

Additionally, we need tangible explanations for those changes. Texas, for example, has historically always kept major portions of their revenue sources off the "tax" roles, and instead relies heavily on fees and fines. Texas is quite professional at criminalizing their population to generate all manners of fines that pour money into state coffers. So increases in tax revenues could be nothing more than increasing taxes to offset reductions in fees/fines that have long been hated by most people. Likewise, other states decreasing tax revenues could be connected with shifting some of the revenue burden to fee and fine based sources.

There's also population changes that could be part of the equation. After the last census Texas and Florida saw increases in relative population, while California saw a decrease. Migration likely plays a role here. Of course, I really doubt it plays a significant enough role to see these particular numbers, but I point this out to further highlight he insufficiency of your analysis. Budgetary surpluses and deficits could also play a role. A state that has run surpluses in recent years might naturally reduce their taxes, and states that have run deficits could well increase their taxes as a result.

So in conclusion, you're suggesting a very interesting topic here, and one I would love to see some impactful data on, but you're only scratching the surface in terms of supporting your hypothesis. At best, you're committing a cum hoc ergo proper hoc fallacy with an abstract, decenary correlation. I hope that you'll dig into this more and help break down all the fascinating nuances for everyone.

Saying that one or the other state is seeing an increase or decrease is meaningless on its own. You need reference points in order to support your assertions. It's easy to increase your revenues if they were next to nothing to begin with. And it's easy to see drops in revenues if they were already very high. An increase in one state could still leave that state far below another state that has seen a decrease.

Additionally, we need tangible explanations for those changes. Texas, for example, has historically always kept major portions of their revenue sources off the "tax" roles, and instead relies heavily on fees and fines. Texas is quite professional at criminalizing their population to generate all manners of fines that pour money into state coffers. So increases in tax revenues could be nothing more than increasing taxes to offset reductions in fees/fines that have long been hated by most people. Likewise, other states decreasing tax revenues could be connected with shifting some of the revenue burden to fee and fine based sources.

There's also population changes that could be part of the equation. After the last census Texas and Florida saw increases in relative population, while California saw a decrease. Migration likely plays a role here. Of course, I really doubt it plays a significant enough role to see these particular numbers, but I point this out to further highlight he insufficiency of your analysis. Budgetary surpluses and deficits could also play a role. A state that has run surpluses in recent years might naturally reduce their taxes, and states that have run deficits could well increase their taxes as a result.

So in conclusion, you're suggesting a very interesting topic here, and one I would love to see some impactful data on, but you're only scratching the surface in terms of supporting your hypothesis. At best, you're committing a cum hoc ergo proper hoc fallacy with an abstract, decenary correlation. I hope that you'll dig into this more and help break down all the fascinating nuances for everyone.
FACTs not guesses and these are the FACTS... which by the way you provided none.

Sales tax is the largest source of state funding for the state budget, accounting for 56 percent of all tax collections.Jun 1, 2023
the largest sources of state tax revenue are:
  • sales taxes
  • the franchise tax (the state’s primary business tax)
  • motor vehicle-related taxes
  • taxes on crude oil and natural gas production

With 56% coming from people buying goods and services WITH no income tax, with more new jobs being created it is no wonder this is a FACT:
As measured by the state’s gross domestic product (GDP), the value of all goods and services produced, the Texas economy expanded at an annual rate of 7%.
This is the fastest growth in real GDP among all of the states and well ahead of the nation as a whole, which grew at 2.6%.

FACTs not guesses and these are the FACTS... which by the way you provided none.

Sales tax is the largest source of state funding for the state budget, accounting for 56 percent of all tax collections.Jun 1, 2023
  • sales taxes
  • the franchise tax (the state’s primary business tax)
  • motor vehicle-related taxes
  • taxes on crude oil and natural gas production

With 56% coming from people buying goods and services WITH no income tax, with more new jobs being created it is no wonder this is a FACT:
As measured by the state’s gross domestic product (GDP), the value of all goods and services produced, the Texas economy expanded at an annual rate of 7%.
This is the fastest growth in real GDP among all of the states and well ahead of the nation as a whole, which grew at 2.6%.

And all of that still ignores the FACT that Texas relies heavily on fees and fines for its revenues outside of taxation.

But you do this a lot. You're the king of cherry picking. I have no reason to believe you want to have a complete picture of the topic, even when someone is receptive to your hypothesis.

You were looking for reference points?

California loses congressional seat for first time

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/26/politics/new-york-census-house-seat-electoral-college-vote/index.html

Florida gains another Congressional seat thanks to population boom

Texas gains 4 million residents, 2 congressional seats in census

And all of that still ignores the FACT that Texas relies heavily on fees and fines for its revenues outside of taxation.

But you do this a lot. You're the king of cherry picking. I have no reason to believe you want to have a complete picture of the topic, even when someone is receptive to your hypothesis.
I agree with you that I DO a lot of substantiation of the statements made by the experts!
"Sales tax is the largest source of state funding for the state budget, accounting for 56 percent of all tax collections.Jun 1, 2023

1. sales taxes
  2. the franchise tax (the state’s primary business tax)
  3. motor vehicle-related taxes
  4. taxes on crude oil and natural gas production"
FACTS...not guesses... where on the below from the State of texas.. are what your guesses are:"relies heavily on fees and fines"
Now the source for the below... where do you see.. fees and fines????
NOTE: Please dispute the below chart with the Comptroller of Texas...Glenn Hegar, email: [email protected]
And again I ask you where is YOUR source for Texas ..."relies heavily on fees and fines"
First of all where are the fees and fines and then define "heavily"?
Now the ONLY place I could find (unless you can take a little time and do some research) for "fees and fines "was the following :
2004 chart showing licenses, fees, permits,fines & penalties of $5,545,631,112 or 8.9% of the total $62,073,072,643 total net income.
Texasrevenue2022.png

Forum List

Back