So my 24 yr old son tried to sign up for Obamacare and they told him

his insurance at his job may not meet the ACA standards, this is true. HOWEVER, that would allow him to purchase his own plan through the Marketplace. THats exactly what the Marketplace is designed to do...give coverage to those whos employer offered coverage isnt up to par.

I would have him go back on the Marketplace website and read a little closer

I don't know about that. I've heard from others that their young 20-something-year-old child HAS to be covered under their parent/parents' insurance if not working full time and/or not offered a good insurance option from the employer. It would be interesting to see that section in the healthcare bill. I have no idea how to go about finding it though.

his insurance at his job may not meet the ACA standards, this is true. HOWEVER, that would allow him to purchase his own plan through the Marketplace. THats exactly what the Marketplace is designed to do...give coverage to those whos employer offered coverage isnt up to par.

I don't know about that. I've heard from others that their young 20-something-year-old child HAS to be covered under their parent/parents' insurance if not working full time and/or not offered a good insurance option from the employer. It would be interesting to see that section in the healthcare bill. I have no idea how to go about finding it though.
Parents are not required to insure their adult children under 26. They can if they wish to do so.

Parents are not required to insure their adult children under 26. They can if they wish to do so.

Right, if they are okay with their child having to pay a penalty in their taxes. Is that right?

Right, if they are okay with their child having to pay a penalty in their taxes. Is that right?
Yes, or their child could purchase his or her own insurance. Or find a job that provides insurance.

Yes, or their child could purchase his or her own insurance. Or find a job that provides insurance.

See, this is where I'm confused. I thought they could NOT purchase their own insurance, that if the business they work for (if they are under cut-off age) did not supply adequate insurance or if the "child" (not REALLY a child, but you know what I mean) does not have a job or just a part-time job that they either had to be covered under the parents' insurance or pay the penalty in taxes and are not allowed to purchase their own insurance? Like I said, I'm not really sure, but after talking to several parents of 20-something-year-olds, that was the gist I got.

It would be nice if someone could post that section of the bill so we can look at it and clear this up. :D Maybe later when I have more time, I'll try and search for it, but the bill itself is pretty complicated to read with a lot of legal terms and such.

See, this is where I'm confused. I thought they could NOT purchase their own insurance, that if the business they work for (if they are under cut-off age) did not supply adequate insurance or if the "child" (not REALLY a child, but you know what I mean) does not have a job or just a part-time job that they either had to be covered under the parents' insurance or pay the penalty in taxes and are not allowed to purchase their own insurance? Like I said, I'm not really sure, but after talking to several parents of 20-something-year-olds, that was the gist I got.

It would be nice if someone could post that section of the bill so we can look at it and clear this up. :D Maybe later when I have more time, I'll try and search for it, but the bill itself is pretty complicated to read with a lot of legal terms and such.
Here you go:

Do I have to cover my under 26 year old?

No. If you don’t cover your under-26-year-old on your plan, they have the same options as anyone else who doesn’t have coverage, including getting a private health insurance plan through the Marketplace. Depending on their income, they may qualify for lower costs on monthly premiums and out-of-pocket costs, or for Medicaid coverage. If they don’t have health coverage, they may have to pay the fee for not being insured.

Health Insurance Coverage For Children and Young Adults Under 26 HealthCare.gov

btw, ANY adult can purchase their own insurance. There is no such law that says they can't and that would be a bit retarded, no? And they could purchase more than one insurance plan if they so desired.

Here you go:

No. If you don’t cover your under-26-year-old on your plan, they have the same options as anyone else who doesn’t have coverage, including getting a private health insurance plan through the Marketplace. Depending on their income, they may qualify for lower costs on monthly premiums and out-of-pocket costs, or for Medicaid coverage. If they don’t have health coverage, they may have to pay the fee for not being insured.

So then, they CAN purchase health insurance through Obamacare on their own. Thanks for clearing that up. So, this whole thread is apparently nothing but bullshit.

Here you go:

So then, they CAN purchase health insurance through Obamacare on their own. Thanks for clearing that up. So, this whole thread is apparently nothing but bullshit.
Lovesbears threads almost always are.

Also, you don't have to go through Obamacare. You are free to purchase directly from an insurance company.

Also, you don't have to go through Obamacare. You are free to purchase directly from an insurance company.

Sure, but most 20-somethings would probably not be able to afford that. Health insurance purchased outright without a group rate is outrageously expensive. :ack-1: I couldn't afford it either. Lol. I'd probably just take the penalty in my taxes if it came down to that.

Sure, but most 20-somethings would probably not be able to afford that. Health insurance purchased outright without a group rate is outrageously expensive. :ack-1: I couldn't afford it either. Lol. I'd probably just take the penalty in my taxes if it came down to that.
Exactly. That's why the exchange exists to alleviate that problem.

But it is a little more complicated with Lovebears and her 24 year old son....because I believe her son still lives at home, (is taking college courses) and she and her husband are supporting him, so this means that when he applied for insurance on the exchange, and they asked for the "Tax Household" information, it would include both parent's income and what little he makes in the total tax household.... and since he is being supported by his parents and used as a dependent of his parents, on their taxes and they have health care coverage that he could be put on, that he would not be eligible to get a subsidy.

This all comes about because her 24 yr old son IS A DEPENDENT of hers and her husbands.

Just like me, who is not working and does not have an employer sponsored health care plan, can NOT go on the exchange and GET a subsidy to help, BECAUSE my husband's employer offers my husband the option to cover his wife and kids etc.... I would NOT be able to go to the exchange and get subsidized help because I can be put on my working husband's plan.

What's different about Lovebears though is that she and her family is covered by TRICARE which is healthcare coverage for the Military and 20 years of service, retired Veterans.... Tricare covers the military and their kids with no additional fee up through the age of 23 if the children are dependents and are in college.

But at 24 yrs old the Military benefits will not cover children over the age of 23 for free, they require a $208 fee for the 24 yr old to be covered on the parent's Military coverage....(which btw is excellent coverage, pays 80% or better, you can go to any doctor or hospital, no $5000 deductibles or anything like that)

The Military will not allow a 24 yr old child to go on their parent's TRICARE,

UNLESS the 24yr is being supported by their parents and is in college....

If her son was not being supported by his parents, and was not a dependent of his parents, then her son would NOT BE ELIGIBLE to go on the Military Tricare system,

then he could go to the exchange and get subsidized, depending on how much he makes.

Last edited:
But it is a little more complicated with Lovebears and her 24 year old son....because I believe her son still lives at home, (is taking college courses) and she and her husband are supporting him, so this means that when he applied for insurance on the exchange, and they asked for the "Tax Household" information, it would include both parent's income and what little he makes in the total tax household.... and since he is being supported by his parents and used as a dependent of his parents, on their taxes and they have health care coverage that he could be put on, that he would not be eligible to get a subsidy.

This all comes about because her 24 yr old son IS A DEPENDENT of hers and her husbands.

Just like me, who is not working and does not have an employer sponsored health care plan, can NOT go on the exchange and GET a subsidy to help, BECAUSE my husband's employer offers my husband the option to cover his wife and kids etc.... I would NOT be able to go to the exchange and get subsidized help because I can be put on my working husband's plan.

What's different about Lovebears though is that she and her family is covered by TRICARE which is healthcare coverage for the Military and 20 years of service, retired Veterans.... Tricare covers the military and their kids with no additional fee up through the age of 23 if the children are dependents and are in college.

But at 24 yrs old the Military benefits will not cover children over the age of 23 for free, they require a $208 fee for the 24 yrs old to be covered on the parent's Military coverage....(which btw is excellent coverage, pays 80% or better, you can go to any doctor or hospital, no $5000 deductibles or anything like that)

If her son was not being supported by his parents, and was not a dependent of his parents, then her son would NOT BE ELIGIBLE to go on the Military Tricare system,

then he could go to the exchange and get subsidized, depending on how much he makes.
Yes, basically she's complaining that he can't get a subsidy through the exchange. Pretty funny when you think about it. She's an entitlement junkie.

But at 24 yrs old the Military benefits will not cover children over the age of 23 for free, they require a $208 fee for the 24 yrs old to be covered on the parent's Military coverage....(which btw is excellent coverage, pays 80% or better, you can go to any doctor or hospital, no $5000 deductibles or anything like that)

Yes, basically she's complaining that he can't get a subsidy through the exchange. Pretty funny when you think about it. She's an entitlement junkie.
yes, that is what she is upset about, and the $208 to cover her son with tricare, unless they get hit with the small penalty...

Lovebears would still be having this problem with her 24 yr old son, even if OCARE was never instituted, (only at 24 yrs old, he would NOT be eligible to go on their Tricare for any reason IF THERE WAS NOT O-Care....that is something added as a benefit after OCare)

But her and her husband would have to be deciding whether they should let their dependent son GO WITHOUT any health care insurance at all, or buy it for him on the independent market which would be much much much more money for the same type of good Tricare coverage that they are allowed to purchase for him thru Tricare now that OCare has passed....

But at 24 yrs old the Military benefits will not cover children over the age of 23 for free, they require a $208 fee for the 24 yr old to be covered on the parent's Military coverage....(which btw is excellent coverage, pays 80% or better, you can go to any doctor or hospital, no $5000 deductibles or anything like that)

You seem to have a very good understanding of all this insurance crap. You must have been an insurance agent in another life. :D

Oh and Thanks for the welcome! :eusa_angel:
Now, Care4all is for real
:thup:
& :welcome:

What does that even mean? Does someone think she's fake or something? Lol.
Green eyes knew.

What puzzles me is why y'all are fine with the government laying out these kind of convoluted requirements

Green eyes knew.

What puzzles me is why y'all are fine with the government laying out these kind of convoluted requirements

Knew what exactly? That the poster is "real?"

Green eyes knew.

So that other people don't have to pick up the tab for those who don't have insurance and have a car accident or an illness that can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars maybe? What do you think happens in such a situation? the hospitals and doctors pass on the costs to the rest of us.

Green eyes knew.

So that other people don't have to pick up the tab for those who don't have insurance and have a car accident or an illness that can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars maybe? What do you think happens in such a situation? the hospitals and doctors pass on the costs to the rest of us.
Other people?
Like who?

um.....Taxpayers?

Forum List

Back