snopes refutes USMB

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Origins: An image purportedly showing a 1964 print advertisement for the WD-40 brand of spray lubricant began circulating on the internet in November 2014. One of the first places the image popped up was in a "funny photos" thread on the US Message Board, where a user posted it on 4 November 2014 asserting it was an advertisement from 1960. However, the date of the putative ad was changed as the image was shared on sites such as Imgur, Facebook, and Reddit, with the most common claim being the ad dated from 1964:

This is a genuine advertisement from 1964 when WD40 was first released. What can be said now has been completely sanitized. Could this advert be released today?

Read more at snopes.com 1964 WD-40 Ad Full of Sexual Innuendo

on snopes just over one week after the post...interesting. how did you stumble upon this...?

I had always assumed everything on USMB was true

I will have to be more cautious

Origins: An image purportedly showing a 1964 print advertisement for the WD-40 brand of spray lubricant began circulating on the internet in November 2014. One of the first places the image popped up was in a "funny photos" thread on the US Message Board, where a user posted it on 4 November 2014 asserting it was an advertisement from 1960. However, the date of the putative ad was changed as the image was shared on sites such as Imgur, Facebook, and Reddit, with the most common claim being the ad dated from 1964:

This is a genuine advertisement from 1964 when WD40 was first released. What can be said now has been completely sanitized. Could this advert be released today?

Read more at snopes.com 1964 WD-40 Ad Full of Sexual Innuendo

In addition to pointing out the reference to the red cap, which came later,
IT'S was misspelled as ITS from what it looks like to me.

There are plenty of ads pushing the concept of
housewives pleasing their husbands as their purpose in life.
The real ads are definitely funnier to look back on!

33 of the Most Sexist Ads of Yesteryear - Team Jimmy Joe

24wubuu.jpg

1960 AD

Forum List

Back