Small Pox

Yeah, well, we had TB virtually erradicated as well.

Smallpox still exists over seas, and therefore is still a threat. And there are some populations HERE that are still very, very susceptible to it...

My understanding is that the only 2 places in the world small pox exists is in Moscow at the their bioweapons lab Biopreparat and in Atlanta in a Level IV facility at the CDC.

You are mostly correct Frank. Small pox no longer exists in nature, but according to Dr. Ken Alibek, small pox has been weaponized and not all containers are accounted for. US military members receive small pox immunizations and a national stockpile exists in various locations throughout the United States. The stock has to be replaced periodically due to expiration and other reasons. There are also contingency plans in case of a small pox attack that transports citizens to a location to receive the vaccine. Small pox is 33 percent fatal but the other 66 percent will wish they were dead. The vaccine can be given up to three days or so after exposure to the virus.

Last edited:
So its no longer a threat and we have a supply large enough to treat everyone in the country so ...

Scientists are questioning a $433 million government contract for a smallpox drug they say the country doesn't need, amid concerns over the way the project was secured for a firm tied to a Democratic donor.

The Los Angeles Times reported over the weekend that U.S. officials took unusual steps to award the contract to Siga Technologies. Democratic donor Ronald Perelman has the controlling share of the company.

The article cited emails showing the Obama administration replaced the lead negotiator on the project following complaints from Siga -- Siga was apparently concerned about the government's objections to how much money Siga would make off the deal.

Earlier, in December, the government also reportedly blocked other companies from bidding on the contract in a second round.

Read more: Questions Arise Over $433M Smallpox Drug Contract To Company Tied To Dem Donor | Fox News

Two countries have small pox on file. The United States and Russia. Since we can't account for what Russia will do, and since if small pox was unleased on the population only 1/6,000,000 would seroconvert in time to be immune, and since the morbidity and mortality from small pox is atrocious so it makes sense to continue to be prepared. US Soldiers still get the vaccine.

As for the contract, color me shocked. Just like when Halliburton got all the contracts for the middle east.

So its no longer a threat and we have a supply large enough to treat everyone in the country so ...

Scientists are questioning a $433 million government contract for a smallpox drug they say the country doesn't need, amid concerns over the way the project was secured for a firm tied to a Democratic donor.

The Los Angeles Times reported over the weekend that U.S. officials took unusual steps to award the contract to Siga Technologies. Democratic donor Ronald Perelman has the controlling share of the company.

The article cited emails showing the Obama administration replaced the lead negotiator on the project following complaints from Siga -- Siga was apparently concerned about the government's objections to how much money Siga would make off the deal.

Earlier, in December, the government also reportedly blocked other companies from bidding on the contract in a second round.

Read more: Questions Arise Over $433M Smallpox Drug Contract To Company Tied To Dem Donor | Fox News

Two countries have small pox on file. The United States and Russia. Since we can't account for what Russia will do, and since if small pox was unleased on the population only 1/6,000,000 would seroconvert in time to be immune, and since the morbidity and mortality from small pox is atrocious so it makes sense to continue to be prepared. US Soldiers still get the vaccine.

As for the contract, color me shocked. Just like when Halliburton got all the contracts for the middle east.

Smallpox isn't the only disease we have to worry about in the context of biological warfare. Periodically I am required to get CMEs about how to recognize a host of illnesses. Personally, I would be far more worried about something like avian flu which isn't even on the list:

All the Virology on the WWW - Biological Warfare - Diseases / Agents

Smallpox isn't the only disease we have to worry about in the context of biological warfare. Periodically I am required to get CMEs about how to recognize a host of illnesses. Personally, I would be far more worried about something like avian flu which isn't even on the list:

Anthrax scares me.

Anthrax scares me.

Yeah, that too.

I went to the first Governor's Conference on Avian Flu when I lived in Nashville, where they announced should there be an outbreak the feds would NOT help. They said we all need to have a 'plan' as essential services would break down when the people who worked there became infected in the 'waves' of infection that would come. There will also be no immunizations for the elderly. Great way to solve the Social Security problem.

As to whether I am immune to smallpox is a craps shoot. I had the vaccine twice and neither time 'took.' I didn't get the sore and I don't have the scar that people my age have. They said I must have 'natural immunity' to it. But epidemiologists have told me there is no such thin and that the immunization most likely didn't take because I had been around cows.

Where I live is on an earthquake fault line and we have a lot of quakes. We are constantly told to have emergency supplies around. I do. They aren't organized in any logical way. But I do have them. I keep bottled water, but don't worry much about water as there is a lake full of it which can be boiled just outsdie my door.

Oh boy.......NOW all of the sudden the GOP wants to listen to the nation's scientists??? :eek:

Oh boy.......NOW all of the sudden the GOP wants to listen to the nation's scientists??? :eek:

Oh boy.......NOW all of the sudden Goose wants to channel his inner Rdean??? :eek:

Oh boy.......NOW all of the sudden Goose wants to channel his inner Rdean??? :eek:

No, not really. I just love it when the wingnuts completely disagree with scientists on global warming and accuse them of being funded by liberal organizations.

But let the scientists come out with something that fits the wingnut agenda and all of the sudden the scientists are the smartest people on earth annd worthy of using to prove a point.

It just shows how fucking hypocritical the wingnuts are.

yes, I posted this yesterday.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...ug-deal-unusual-steps-to-secure-contract.html

Obama turned the US Presidency into the biggest money laundering scheme on the planet

It was no better under the GOP.

And now it's no better under the Democrats.

Really, if this were a problem with only one party, the solution would be easy: elect the other one. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

I disagree, how about we boot the selectivity and just beat the crap out of all of them.?

and I disagree that it was worse under the former admin.

the media watchdogs keeps the reps more honest, which I agree isn't saying very much, but it matters.

Regardless of political party, this country has long had a scientific apparatus in place designed to counter germ warfare.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank GEORGE BUSH for his part in establishing clinics in poor, rural America.

Those damn rightwingers! They don't do nuthin for the poor people, they have no respect for science!

No, not really. I just love it when the wingnuts completely disagree with scientists on global warming and accuse them of being funded by liberal organizations.

But let the scientists come out with something that fits the wingnut agenda and all of the sudden the scientists are the smartest people on earth annd worthy of using to prove a point.

Let's see, you just fling out the term "wingnut" as if that adds weight to your false argument that some disagree with global warming.
And I call that a false argument because the argument isn't about whether or not the earth is warming, the argument is the cause of that warming and whether or not man is the cause. The science on the cause is not yet determined, but rather theorized.

Let's see, you just fling out the term "wingnut" as if that adds weight to your false argument that some disagree with global warming.
And I call that a false argument because the argument isn't about whether or not the earth is warming, the argument is the cause of that warming and whether or not man is the cause. The science on the cause is not yet determined, but rather theorized.

Nope. I "fling out the term wingnut" because it fits, period.

And the fact that you claim that "the argument isn't about whether or not the earth is warming, the argument is the cause of that warming and whether or not man is the cause" is complete bullshit and shows that you have no clue as to what the fuck you're talking about.

FALSE ALARM: Why Almost Everything We’ve Been Told About Global Warming is Misleading, Exaggerated, or Plain Wrong

Facts disprove warnings about global warming - Man Made Global Warming Debunking News and Links

More Evidence that Global Warming is a False Alarm: A Model Simulation of the last 40 Years of Deep Ocean Warming « Roy Spencer, Ph. D.

The only reason some are finally accepting that the earth is warming is because they're running out of any credible scientists that concur. So what do they do? Like you, they NOW claim that "I never said that". But eventually they'll come around on the CAUSE too.

Forum List

Back