Should the Social Security and Medicare Age be Raised

SS and MC were started in 1934 and 1965 respectfully. In 1934 job were much more physical and people’s bodies broke down starting in their 50s. Nowadays go to any company and you see people working well into their 70s… heck even construction are less strenuous on the person’s body. The trend is only going to increase. In addition, medicine is getting better and people are living longer. This reality should be recognized.

In addition it is much easier to take care of oneself and eat better and feel better at older ages.

Our safety nets need to reflect this new reality.
I've been advocating the raising of the SS and Medicare eligibility ages for a very long time on this forum. The age should be raised to 70 and indexed to 9 percent of the population going forward.

When Social Security was enacted, the average life expectancy was 60. Most people weren't expected to live long enough to collect! Only 5.4% of the population was over 65. That weight was easily handled.

In 1965, when Medicare was enacted, life expectancy was higher and so 9 percent of the population was over 65. Not too bad, and this is where I get the 9 percent figure from.

Today, nearly 16 percent of the population is over 65. A near tripling of the debt load since the enactment of Social Security.

A larger and larger percentage of Americans are dipping into the Treasury while a smaller and smaller percentage of the population is supporting them. This trend is simply unsustainable.

No wonder Social Security is going broke!

We are living DECADES longer than our ancestors. It is common damned sense we should be working longer.

In my opinion, anyone opposed to raising the retirement age is an entitlement leech.

My wife's retirement age is 66. My retirement age is 67. She is currently 64 and I am 61. Both of us are broken down physically. My wife has one artificial hip and may need another. They are doing tests right now to see if she can walk. I have Stage 4 liver failure and cannot get on the transplant list because I am "too healthy". Raising our retirement age would require expanding social security disability to cover us. When she goes on Medicare, I will lose my medical coverage. That's great for someone who has already met their insurance deductible after only 5 weeks.
Stage 4 liver failure?

Jesus, man! Sorry to hear that.

How is it possible you are "too healthy" for a transplant?

If you have Cancer or a failing heart, you file for Social Security Disability……that is what it is there for
And you still fail to see that SS is not enough to live on if you have to file at an early age because of health problems. Plus those without an employer matching fund in a 401k are not going to be set for life.

Yea...why not raise the age to 100?

That would save a lot of money...right?
Let's say average life expectancy rises to 100. Would it make sense that you would spend one third of your life on Social Security?

We are on an unsustainable trend. We are living decades longer than our ancestors. It simply does not logically follow we should be on Social Security longer without working longer.

How old are you?
I assume no where 70.
I assume you work inside a nice cushy government building. If you worked outside, or had a manual labor job I'm also sure you'd know that 65 is long enough to work. There are better fixes than raising the retirement age. I'm good eliminating the early age 62 retirement, but not going to 70.
Construction work was far, far more difficult in the 1930s when SS was enacted. The average life expectancy was 60. Most people were not expected to ever collect Social Security.

So SS was biased against construction workers right out of the gate.

I'm not saying construction work isn't hard. But it isn't as hard as our forebears had it.

Social Security cannot be sustained when average life expectancy keeps rising.

And you still fail to see that SS is not enough to live on if you have to file at an early age because of health problems. Plus those without an employer matching fund in a 401k are not going to be set for life.
So what do you propose?

Republicans thought about this in the 1980s, and it would have given baby boomers plenty of time to prepare.

Democrats and their media propagandists immediately went into attack mode, blah, blah, blah. Congressman Claude Pepper notoriously proclaimed 'Don't tamper with Social Security'.

Yea...well it's not that. In fact it is dropping
Because we have become fat in our prosperity. You didn't see a lot of fat people 50 years ago.

Obviously you never did that kind of work. I have. it BREAKS you.

By the time you're 60...every day of work is agony
I have several friends in the construction sector. I know how hard it is.

When SS was implemented the age to start collecting was older than the life expectancy Age for Americans. Now it is way below.
End it for Boomers and restart it for people 60 and under, so when they hit 65 they get it.

Damn Boo ers have taken everything else...

I've been advocating the raising of the SS and Medicare eligibility ages for a very long time on this forum. The age should be raised to 70 and indexed to 9 percent of the population going forward.

When Social Security was enacted, the average life expectancy was 60. Most people weren't expected to live long enough to collect! Only 5.4% of the population was over 65. That weight was easily handled.

In 1965, when Medicare was enacted, life expectancy was higher and so 9 percent of the population was over 65. Not too bad, and this is where I get the 9 percent figure from.

Today, nearly 16 percent of the population is over 65. A near tripling of the debt load since the enactment of Social Security.

A larger and larger percentage of Americans are dipping into the Treasury while a smaller and smaller percentage of the population is supporting them. This trend is simply unsustainable.

No wonder Social Security is going broke!

We are living DECADES longer than our ancestors. It is common damned sense we should be working longer.

In my opinion, anyone opposed to raising the retirement age is an entitlement leech.
Let me guess your age...

First of all, thank you for a thread about an actual subject instead of partisan poo throwing like most people engage in.

I am currently receiving S.S. after paying into the system for 50 years, so I am probably a bit biased as a result, but if the age were made a bit higher, I wouldn't mind. The only issue would have to do with those who are nearing the age currently, and would see the age raised right as they were expecting to get it. That doesn't seem fair to me.

It seems to me that if it were enacted, it would have to apply in varying degrees based upon the number of years people have been paying into the system. For those entering the work force currently, a change would be less disruptive to their lives than if they were much older.
I believe i had 20 years notice, before 65 to tell me I and the hubby would have to wait till 67+/-.... so if changed they would give us 20 years notice or so.

I believe i had 20 years notice, before 65 to tell me I and the hubby would have to wait till 67+/-.... so if changed they would give us 20 years notice or so.
The cowards of Congress in 1982 raised the eligibility age of 67 to take effect long after they were all retired/dead.

Average life expectancy in 1982: 74.5

Average life expectancy today: 78.8

We're not even keeping up with life expectancy growth.

65 and retired four years
If you work manual labor, you got some planning to do regardless of retirement age.
You either need to plan another profession or set aside extra money to retire early
We disagree. I like the plan where EVERYONE pays into SS including Federal, State, and local workers, everyone who is not in SS now.

You didn't answer the question if you are a retired government worker. I assume you are. Most government workers get outrageous pensions. In my state you need 24-years to get a full pension and free healthcare, and you're whining about people not working past 65.

Construction work was far, far more difficult in the 1930s when SS was enacted. The average life expectancy was 60. Most people were not expected to ever collect Social Security.
So SS was biased against construction workers right out of the gate.
I'm not saying construction work isn't hard. But it isn't as hard as our forebears had it.
Social Security cannot be sustained when average life expectancy keeps rising.
Construction work is still hard. Ever pour a concrete floor and have to level it? Ever push a wheelbarrow all day? Ever do outdoor carpentry? Now picture doing that at 64. Its still very hard work.

SS can be "fixed" very simply, add in ALL government workers, raise the cap. Solvent forever.

Nowadays go to any company and you see people working well into their 70s…

Go to Congress and you will find people still working well into their 80s.

Moral of the story: Everyone should get a job working for government and get the healthcare your congresspeople get as well.

SS and MC were started in 1934 and 1965 respectfully. In 1934 job were much more physical and people’s bodies broke down starting in their 50s. Nowadays go to any company and you see people working well into their 70s… heck even construction are less strenuous on the person’s body. The trend is only going to increase. In addition, medicine is getting better and people are living longer. This reality should be recognized.

In addition it is much easier to take care of oneself and eat better and feel better at older ages.

Our safety nets need to reflect this new reality.
Hey yeah... fuck no.
I will very soon be 57.
When I was 12 I got a paper route till I was 14. I quit that to be a helper to a man who bought and sold properties, I did clean up work and some demolition etc. Also shoveled snow, mowed 3 lawns. etc.
At 16 got my first "official" job at a seafood restaurant. Worked there through high school, at the same time also helped a guy who had a garage painting cars. Then at the start of college I worked at Dominoes Pizza.
FF to "real life". I have had a full time job ever since.
Even though I am only 57, I have had a job for 41 years. 41 years!!
And then tell me I don't get my Social Security that I have been paying into, at 65 when I retire, for 50 years!!!!!!!!
So you can go along with a government that wants to spend it's way out of everything...then take my SS $$ to spend more??

What kind of crack are you smoking???

Forum List

Back