Should I Continue To Exercise?

Also, change it up so it's not boring....try walking outside, a nature walk occasionally....I just love seeing the animal and bird creatures on my walks, like squirrels, and racoons, or wild turkey, or porcupines or a deer, or a bald eagle, hawk, or raven.... Or whatever creatures are in your neck of the woods.... It's soothing to see God's nature for me...before I know it I'm a half mile down the road and at the Beaver dam that is flooding one of my neighbor's farm....every year he has to go down to the Brook and tear the Beaver dam apart, and in less than a week... they are rebuilding it!

I totally agree with that - walking outside, there is so much to see...and appreciate! Just me personally...I get bored on a treadmill, but other people enjoy it with music or videos.

Thank you. Today I did 30 minutes, but if doing a little less is what will keep the exercise from becoming too predictable, I guess doing less is the way to go. After all doing more a day compared to what I have been doing will only make me burn out again even sooner?

God bless you always!!!

Holly
Excellent! So this is really important. There are many videos with simple and short exercises you can do instead of doing the same treadmill every day. That keeps it interesting for you and also brings in different muscle groups that you may not be exercising with doing treadmill only. My wife and I do a 10 minutes beginner yoga program and an Ab exercise video that is a bit more advanced. But the point is we also bike and do short run/walks. So variety is good for you mentally and physically.

One thing I'm thinking of starting is light weight training.

Many people focus on cardio - which is important. But as you get older, your muscles deteriorate. Light weight training really helps offset this.
I agree weight training is definitely a good thing to do when you get older. My youngest son built a weightlifting rack in our house and then moved out to be closer to the college. So I started lifting last year. I notice a big difference not just in strength but I just feel better in general.

Also, change it up so it's not boring....try walking outside, a nature walk occasionally....I just love seeing the animal and bird creatures on my walks, like squirrels, and racoons, or wild turkey, or porcupines or a deer, or a bald eagle, hawk, or raven.... Or whatever creatures are in your neck of the woods.... It's soothing to see God's nature for me...before I know it I'm a half mile down the road and at the Beaver dam that is flooding one of my neighbor's farm....every year he has to go down to the Brook and tear the Beaver dam apart, and in less than a week... they are rebuilding it!

Yes, this is very important.

I used to cycle pretty regularly. I had 4-5 routes I'd use.

Then I moved into a neighborhood that made access to different routes more difficult. So I began to lose interest.

Then I crashed, broke many bones, and punctured my lung! lol
holy smokes Toro!!! Be careful!!!

We had bikes in Massachusetts, different bike paths through the wooded areas... it was great!

But here, we gave up the bikes we had because we are on a dirt, hilly road that is just perfect for crashing your bikes!! :). Plus hard to bike up and down the hills.... :eek: easier to walk...

Where I am...mountain biking is popular, but biking on the roads is risky - narrow, winding, deep ditches...

I (re)started running in September and kept at it even in winter. It works because I take a dog and I am outside - we run together and experience the beauty that is WV. I just made my initial goal modest - 3x a week - no distance goal, an the other days I just walked. I now do 3 miles, 5-6 times a week, and hike my dogs the other days. It works for me so far, but I should probably add some weight training I guess.

And I should add that exercise, even modest exercise - goes a long ways towards helping to reduce high blood pressure, diabetes, and a few other health problems.

^^^ Thank you. I do however have to disagree about half an hour a day not being a lot. 30 minutes a day for five days a week is how I was able to drop the 90 pounds that I was able to lose in just ten months of dieting.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
Doing the exercise 30 minutes a day helps you stay healthy, BUT that is NOT the reason you lost 90 lbs. The diet you were on did that; the exercise helps you burn more calories and get stronger and stay stronger. IMO, the issue is not what you gain by doing the exercise it's what you lose if you don't. Think heart disease, respiratory problems. Exercise isn't going to make you immune from things like that, but it will help you fight them off. In the age of the Coronavirus, that is no small thing. The vast majority of deaths and severe COVID cases were/are people who were/are overweight and not as healthy and strong as they could have been.

Walking, Biking, Swimming, and just meditating will do wonders for the body but what is the most important is diet!

Also 150 lbs might be too skinny for you if you are tall and you need to look at your bone mass, height and other factors and focus on a healthy weight and maintaining it...

First I must say I am not an expert in this.

My personal opinion is, that to eat properly, and stop totally eating certain foods (no sweets at all, NONE - just natural sweets like a little honey, or a few dates or some fruit, of course...etc...) and to eat small portions of meals, is a much more effective way to lose weight.

You limit what you eat for a couple of weeks , you immediately lose weight.:thup:

Better than all the exercise in the world.....but like I say, I am no expert, ok?

Wish you the best!

The dealio is to wo
As someone who watched his Father die an early death from not taking care of himself, I implore you to keep excercising even if it's just 10 or 15 minutes a day. There are multiple benefits including keeping your muscles and joints loose. Also take a close look at how many calories you consume and then compare that to what it takes to "break even" with body weight. For my height and weight that is 2850 calories per day. Yours will be less than that. Good luck take care of yourself!
Thank you. Today I did 30 minutes, but if doing a little less is what will keep the exercise from becoming too predictable, I guess doing less is the way to go. After all doing more a day compared to what I have been doing will only make me burn out again even sooner?

God bless you always!!!

Holly
The dealio is to work out like a Latina. Every hour raise some hell on a treadmill, broom, mop, bathe the dog, pull weeds for 15 minutes. Then spend the other 45 on whassapp or facebook and when time is up...get back to it.:stir::D

patriciaguapa.JPG

I was going to put this question out there in the Health and Lifestyle area of this forum, but then I wasn't sure. On June 1st, it will be two years since I started dieting. I was 240 when I first started then. On March 28th of last year, just ten months into the diet, I dropped to my lowest weight which was 150, a 90 pound loss in another words. I will admit that I have gained back half of my lost weight since then due to my going back some to what I stayed away from for so long. I have also taken a break here and there from being on the treadmill. 30 minutes a day for five days a week is how often I'm on it, but because of how consistent I have been with that part of the diet, I want to know if that part will eventually catch up with me to where it may not help anymore, but instead only make it harder for me to drop the weight that I have gained back. I know that healthy food is what needs to be eaten again, but after two years of exercise, should I continue to do that still? Any advice will be so very much appreciated.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
Mix it up. Do the tread mill three days a week and something else on the other...like jump roping. I say jump rope like I do it but that currently takes more grace than I have. Also, there is this exercise called planks that is supposed to be the be all. I have been studying it for the last couple of months and someday I may actually get around to doing it.

I go out to a small track in the mornings. I started doing intervals because bulls have horns and I should be prepared. I do it really early so that I am not competing for space except for the homeless guy in the wheelchair that I'm going to end up clocking if he isn't careful because he keeps hiding in the dark turn. I think I might set a goal for a 5K run. There is one in September that I could do. That's my approach.

Walking, Biking, Swimming, and just meditating will do wonders for the body but what is the most important is diet!

Also 150 lbs might be too skinny for you if you are tall and you need to look at your bone mass, height and other factors and focus on a healthy weight and maintaining it...
I am five feet and six inches with my shoes on.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

I am five feet and six inches with my shoes on.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Then 150 is just right...

Sadly even when I was down there at 150, my belly still had not gone anywhere.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

I was going to put this question out there in the Health and Lifestyle area of this forum, but then I wasn't sure. On June 1st, it will be two years since I started dieting. I was 240 when I first started then. On March 28th of last year, just ten months into the diet, I dropped to my lowest weight which was 150, a 90 pound loss in another words. I will admit that I have gained back half of my lost weight since then due to my going back some to what I stayed away from for so long. I have also taken a break here and there from being on the treadmill. 30 minutes a day for five days a week is how often I'm on it, but because of how consistent I have been with that part of the diet, I want to know if that part will eventually catch up with me to where it may not help anymore, but instead only make it harder for me to drop the weight that I have gained back. I know that healthy food is what needs to be eaten again, but after two years of exercise, should I continue to do that still? Any advice will be so very much appreciated.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
The heart only beats so many times and then it stops. Why make your heart beat faster. You are only wearing it out.

^^^ After a three week break which was partly due to getting sick at one point, I have started again, but what I am afraid of is that it will be nothing but a waste of time due to how much I have done already. Because I've done so much over the last two years, even after a few weeks away, it may not take long for my body to once again become adjusted to the exercising routine to where it no longer makes any kind of positive difference.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
Hi Jo; every day is a NEW ONE...that means yesterday's loss or gain doesn't matter. I have had similar success and fail.....but each day is a new one. Don't overthink it; just do it!! And if you miss a beat, well, do it NOW.

Greg

Forum List

Back