Sh(t or get off the pot time for the GOP on Obamacare

They have the better part of two years to do the doo doo.

We'll see what happens. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised.
I don't see it. Senator Bennett of Utah got primaried for actually saying the right thing. End the tax expenditure for employer sponsored, raise taxes like Obamacare did, and "give" every American a tax credit. The gop said they wanted competition amongst both insurance companies and healthcare provides to get customers. there it was.

Obamacare sucked. But it's not like our side put up anything ... real. And even now the gop can't get votes. But we'll see.

As if competition has anything or ever had anything to do with our healthcare system.

Okay. I'll bite.

Insofar as you imply that competition hasn't ever "had anything to do with our healthcare system," what is the economic market structure in which you think healthcare services and products (including insurance products) are bought and sold?
  • Perfect competition
  • Monopoly
  • Oligopoly
  • Monopolistic competition
  • Monopsony
I'd go for D. Although what we have is pretty much a monopoly, or near monopoly, of insurance companies in any given state. And the healthcare providers must negotiate with the insurance company what they get paid for individual services. And those fees are loosely set by adopting what Medicare pays ... and Medicare is a govt run monopoly. So, maybe D fits that.

Overall, it is "D," although the reason why is much simpler than what you explained. The term simply means that the seller has a monopoly in the good it sells. For example, Brooks Brothers has a monopoly in Brooks Brothers shirts. Whenever the "product" sold is branded and there is many sellers of it, the market structure is that of monopolistic competition. That's it; it's truly just that straightforward.

In the healthcare industry, there's a debate argument that one might be able to soundly make in limited situations. The easiest one to illustrate is geographically driven. For example:
  • Physician's treatment/care -- In a small town, it's conceivable that there is only one OB/Gyn. In that town, the doctor has a monopoly in OB/Gyn services.. He has no competitors in his town.
  • Treatment procedures/devices -- In D.C., as far as I know, the only hospital that has doctors and equipment to deliver the "cyberknife" cancer treatment is Georgetown Univ. Hospital. They thus have a monopoly on that type of care/treatment. There is nobody who competes with them. There are other modes of cancer treatment, however, so they don't have a monopoly in cancer treatment.
Other segments of the healthcare and health insurance industry can be evaluated in a similar fashion. As goes insurance, which is the scope of what O-care addresses, the market structure is definitely monopolistic competition because even though not all insurers who offer health insurance do so via O-care's exchanges, they nonetheless do offer health insurance in the state in question.

Remember, O-care requires everyone have health insurance; it does not stipulate how one obtains it or from whom. Economically speaking, the O-care exchanges are little more than stores for insurance. Just as there are department stores and single brand boutiques in various localities, so too is it that some states have multiple brands of insurance offered in their O-care health insurance "store"/exchange.

You mentioned Medicare. Medicare is not a monopoly. Medicare doesn't provide anything that no other supplier provides. Medicare is different in that it's not a discretionary purchase; everyone who works pays for it via payroll taxes. What's discretionary (for most people) is whether they avail themselves of it by signing up to receive their Medicare benefit when they become eligible to do so. One'd be stupid not to sign up and one is strongly encouraged to do so, but one isn't required to do so. The encouragement is the penalty for not doing so in a timely manner. (AFAIK, one can avoid the penalty by never signing up. If one's insurance doesn't have a Medicare enrollment requirement attached to it, one need not ever sign up to receive Medicare benefits.)

One thing to always keep in mind is that "freedom to act" and "acting without adverse consequence" (one might call that "acting for free") are not the same things, not in law and not in economics.

I don't see it. Senator Bennett of Utah got primaried for actually saying the right thing. End the tax expenditure for employer sponsored, raise taxes like Obamacare did, and "give" every American a tax credit. The gop said they wanted competition amongst both insurance companies and healthcare provides to get customers. there it was.

Obamacare sucked. But it's not like our side put up anything ... real. And even now the gop can't get votes. But we'll see.

As if competition has anything or ever had anything to do with our healthcare system.

Okay. I'll bite.

Insofar as you imply that competition hasn't ever "had anything to do with our healthcare system," what is the economic market structure in which you think healthcare services and products (including insurance products) are bought and sold?
  • Perfect competition
  • Monopoly
  • Oligopoly
  • Monopsony

I don't think label and/or bumper sticker slogan solutions are really working for america. I don't think they ever have.

Okay...are you going to answer the question I asked in response to your earlier comment? Are you retracting that earlier comment?

I guess I don't accept your two options.

I presented the only five options there are as goes the market structure under which healthcare (related) goods and services are offered for sale. Pick the one you think it is You're the one who said that competition has nothing to do with our healthcare system. I've merely asked you to identify the market structure in which you think the U.S. healthcare system operates such that competition never had anything to do with it.

It's your statement; I'm merely asking you to back it up by sharing what economic market structure makes it possible. If there were a sixth choice, I'd have presented it to you.

When it comes to economics argy-bargy, I'm not given to gambling. Thus, frankly, were I you, I'd have retracted my earlier statement and presented a new one, one that's accurate instead of emotional/inflammatory in its stead. I wouldn't bother trying to defend or clarify my own hastily made statement I know is indefensible from any rational standpoint. Everyone makes such remarks; the key, in Kenny Rogers' words, is to "know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em, when to walk away and when to run." LOL

Okay. I'll bite.

• Perfect competition
  • Monopoly
  • Oligopoly
  • Monopsony

I don't think label and/or bumper sticker slogan solutions are really working for america. I don't think they ever have.

Okay...are you going to answer the question I asked in response to your earlier comment? Are you retracting that earlier comment?

You're posting to Fentom, I think. If not please let me know.

You are correct. Those two questions and the earlier one were specifically asked of him, although I don't mind others answering or jumping into the conversation in response to them.

Forum List

Back