Sexual Harassment Video: What Does It Say About Us?

Saying hi is a terrible approach?
You see, this is not about a woman being approached by what they are saying but who is saying it. This woman (let us assume for just one moment she is not a man hating lesbian) was approached by Brad Pitt and he said "hi" to her, she would be flattered. She would probably faint if he asked for her number. What this video actually shows is her prejudices not the men being pigs.

Many women go through a lot of trouble to look great. In many ways, women are flattered if you let them know that whatever they are doing is working.

Why do liberals fight against all laws of nature when it comes to human behavior? Yes we still have k9 teeth for a reason.
Why do you feel the need to take one remark out of the video, and pretend like that was what the essence of my entire post was about, and proceed to make an entirely long winded post in refutation to that particular point that you simply pulled out of whole cloth from me?

What a waste of time.

I think it has more to do with the editing of the video. Many of the comments were neutral; others were a bit rough. To say it was about sexual harassment is a bit too far imo. I didn't see any of that. A creep yes; the odd tryhard, but really this type of thing belittles sexual harassment as it really exists in a harmful way. I spoke to a couple of female friends who both worked in a Bank. Promotions past a certain point were "casting couched" in both their cases, so they left. THAT is sexual harassment. It is a serious issue and I don't think walking maybe in a "hood" is a good move for any person not of the same ethnicity. I would need a lot more context to call it "sexual harassment".

Greg

Road to honest to goodness sexual harassment begins with inappropriate remarks. If we okay comments, it escalates to the next stage.

What? So every time a check-out-chick says "have a nice day" she's sizing me up?? Mate: I'm really UGLY!! What you are saying is a nonsense. Sure: inappropriate is one thing...so how many of those comments were inappropriate? Most seemed quite neutral. Some I didn't "get" of course. But saying that "comments" escalate to "inappropriate remarks" is just ridiculous. How many friendly comments escalate? And what in your mind constitutes a "comment"? I would have no hesitation saying "what a lovely day" to a stranger; or "it's hot" as I pass anyone who looks a bit hot (from the sun) but to suggest I want to fvck them is pathetic!!

Greg
Dude, relax. Delta has issues. Not a second of the day goes by he isn't obsessing over sex. He's bi, into all sorts of stuff it's against board rules even to mention. Just addressing him over this issue is probably giving him jack off material. . . So, you have to understand his frame of reference.
http://www.usmessageboard.com/threads/repository-of-delta4s-creepy-threads.380251/

I gathered that he was either a troll or a jerk. Thanks for the heads up!

PS: Oh: you mean he's one of the "pocket billiards" brigade??

Greg

I think the same video could have been made in the 1980's.

maybe even the 70's.

but it's a terrible approach to women. most of these lames are either virgins or theyre picking from the bottom of the barrell.

You see, this is not about a woman being approached by what they are saying but who is saying it. This woman (let us assume for just one moment she is not a man hating lesbian) was approached by Brad Pitt and he said "hi" to her, she would be flattered. She would probably faint if he asked for her number. What this video actually shows is her prejudices not the men being pigs.

Many women go through a lot of trouble to look great. In many ways, women are flattered if you let them know that whatever they are doing is working.

Why do liberals fight against all laws of nature when it comes to human behavior? Yes we still have k9 teeth for a reason.
Why do you feel the need to take one remark out of the video, and pretend like that was what the essence of my entire post was about, and proceed to make an entirely long winded post in refutation to that particular point that you simply pulled out of whole cloth from me?

What a waste of time.

I think it has more to do with the editing of the video. Many of the comments were neutral; others were a bit rough. To say it was about sexual harassment is a bit too far imo. I didn't see any of that. A creep yes; the odd tryhard, but really this type of thing belittles sexual harassment as it really exists in a harmful way. I spoke to a couple of female friends who both worked in a Bank. Promotions past a certain point were "casting couched" in both their cases, so they left. THAT is sexual harassment. It is a serious issue and I don't think walking maybe in a "hood" is a good move for any person not of the same ethnicity. I would need a lot more context to call it "sexual harassment".

Greg

Road to honest to goodness sexual harassment begins with inappropriate remarks. If we okay comments, it escalates to the next stage.

In some cases, yes. In the overvast majority not at all. How you corral "It's hot" with "I want to bed you" is beyond me. Get a bloody life!!

Greg
For delta, the road to sexual harassment starts by reading USMB. . . . .

Forgive me, but it seemed like almost all of the cases of harassment were fairly benign. The group that made this video is trying to claim that a woman can't walk through Manhattan without being harassed by men. Seemed to me the girl looked good and most of the comments were the product of a lack of manners, or just desperate attempts at pickups.

You judge for yourself and post any comments please.

Men's responses are what they're going on about. We say it's nothing and benign, but to the women it might mean a great deal. Shouldn't be whistling or lobbing sexist remarks at strangers on the street. It's inappropriate and rude. To the people who think it's benign, yes, one occasion's benign. But women who get it many times every day probably get tired of it. It's as good as an offer for cheap meaningless sex, and when it happens frequently it begins to settle in a person's mind and that's all they're good for - sex. Too much of a good thing then and precisely why you shouldn't do it.

What? Crikey!! Seriously, if someone took me saying "Hi" or "G'day" as an offer then that is very wrong indeed. Why would it be interpreted as that's all that they're good for? Methinks one is over-analysing. Sure": there are jerks "out there" but there is a lot of quite innocent friendly stuff as well. One should not paint all comments with the same brush.

Greg

If the world weren't plagued currently with a rape pandemic, if women weren't sexualized and demeaned everywhere, then a polite observation might be more acceptable. But as it stands, the world is royally fucked up when it comes to women and instead of adding to it we should attempt to do whatever women would like us to do, especially when it doesn't involve anything more than not being rude or inappropriate to them.

Women don't exist to pleasure men. If you don't compliment men on their appearence, don't do it to women.

This^^

If it would not be done to a man, it should not be done to a woman.

Another example:

Watch TV/movies/real life. You often see men putting a hand on a woman, an arm around her shoulders, basically benign in one context but at work?

Would a woman or a man do that to another man?

And yes, rape is pandemic.

What a waste of time.

Greg

What? So every time a check-out-chick says "have a nice day" she's sizing me up?? Mate: I'm really UGLY!! What you are saying is a nonsense. Sure: inappropriate is one thing...so how many of those comments were inappropriate? Most seemed quite neutral. Some I didn't "get" of course. But saying that "comments" escalate to "inappropriate remarks" is just ridiculous. How many friendly comments escalate? And what in your mind constitutes a "comment"? I would have no hesitation saying "what a lovely day" to a stranger; or "it's hot" as I pass anyone who looks a bit hot (from the sun) but to suggest I want to fvck them is pathetic!!

Greg

You're part of the problem thinking it's ok. It's not ok. More you claim it is, more you stand out as the problem child who needs correction.

I don't see any problems here except for the one man who followed her. There is nothing wrong with giving a person a compliment on her or his appearance and trying to strike up a conversation. If she doesn't want or thinks she is too good (why I don't know, she really isn't very good-looking - lol) for people to speak to her, then she should just tell them, "look, I'm a stuck-up bitch and would appreciate you not speaking to me." She could have also told the guy who was following her to screw off, but she didn't.

Maybe wearing a Burka would settle the issue.

Greg

Greg

You're part of the problem thinking it's ok. It's not ok. More you claim it is, more you stand out as the problem child who needs correction.

I don't see any problems here except for the one man who followed her. There is nothing wrong with giving a person a compliment on her or his appearance and trying to strike up a conversation. If she doesn't want or thinks she is too good (why I don't know, she really isn't very good-looking - lol) for people to speak to her, then she should just tell them, "look, I'm a stuck-up bitch and would appreciate you not speaking to me." She could have also told the guy who was following her to screw off, but she didn't.

Maybe wearing a Burka would settle the issue.
That seems to be the road the feministas want to take us down.

I remember one time I was walking down the street, and there were a couple of guys standing outside a store I was going to, and they started making comments to me, not realizing I was going to walk right to them. Lol! So needless to say, they started to look quite uncomfortable as I approached them, so just to rub it in, I said, "excuse me? Did you say something to me?" :lol: They were like, "er, well . . . " Speechless! That was hilarious. Lol.

That might have worked on me years ago, but now my response would have been polite but complimentary.

Years ago I would have remained silent and maybe given you a long look, but I figure most women don't want to be bothered.

Course I have been whistled at by girls half my age when I was a gym-rat. Today I would ask them if they needed an eye-examination.

Forgive me, but it seemed like almost all of the cases of harassment were fairly benign. The group that made this video is trying to claim that a woman can't walk through Manhattan without being harassed by men. Seemed to me the girl looked good and most of the comments were the product of a lack of manners, or just desperate attempts at pickups.

Men's responses are what they're going on about. We say it's nothing and benign, but to the women it might mean a great deal. Shouldn't be whistling or lobbing sexist remarks at strangers on the street. It's inappropriate and rude. To the people who think it's benign, yes, one occasion's benign. But women who get it many times every day probably get tired of it. It's as good as an offer for cheap meaningless sex, and when it happens frequently it begins to settle in a person's mind and that's all they're good for - sex. Too much of a good thing then and precisely why you shouldn't do it.

What? Crikey!! Seriously, if someone took me saying "Hi" or "G'day" as an offer then that is very wrong indeed. Why would it be interpreted as that's all that they're good for? Methinks one is over-analysing. Sure": there are jerks "out there" but there is a lot of quite innocent friendly stuff as well. One should not paint all comments with the same brush.

Greg

If the world weren't plagued currently with a rape pandemic, if women weren't sexualized and demeaned everywhere, then a polite observation might be more acceptable. But as it stands, the world is royally fucked up when it comes to women and instead of adding to it we should attempt to do whatever women would like us to do, especially when it doesn't involve anything more than not being rude or inappropriate to them.

Women don't exist to pleasure men. If you don't compliment men on their appearence, don't do it to women.

This^^

Another example:

Watch TV/movies/real life. You often see men putting a hand on a woman, an arm around her shoulders, basically benign in one context but at work?

WHAT are you talking about? What should not be done? Speaking to people you see on the street that you find attractive? That's crazy. What kind of society are we where we take offense at being called good-looking? :cuckoo: Personally, I like it when people compliment me on my appearance. I work hard at looking my best and when someone notices that, I consider it a compliment.

Do you really think that people saying, "hey beautiful" means they have rape on their minds? Goodness. This is just out of control liberal PC crapola. That woman in the video obviously has issues and should be grateful for any compliments she gets because she really doesn't look very good anyhow. :D

I remember one time I was walking down the street, and there were a couple of guys standing outside a store I was going to, and they started making comments to me, not realizing I was going to walk right to them. Lol! So needless to say, they started to look quite uncomfortable as I approached them, so just to rub it in, I said, "excuse me? Did you say something to me?" :lol: They were like, "er, well . . . " Speechless! That was hilarious. Lol.

That might have worked on me years ago, but now my response would have been polite but complimentary.

Years ago I would have remained silent and maybe given you a long look, but I figure most women don't want to be bothered.

Course I have been whistled at by girls half my age when I was a gym-rat. Today I would ask them if they needed an eye-examination.

Yes, well these were men who were probably in their mid 20s. Lol. It was priceless though. They were certainly not expecting me to walk right up to them and say something. :D

What a waste of time.

Greg

Greg
Dude, relax. Delta has issues. Not a second of the day goes by he isn't obsessing over sex. He's bi, into all sorts of stuff it's against board rules even to mention. Just addressing him over this issue is probably giving him jack off material. . . So, you have to understand his frame of reference.
http://www.usmessageboard.com/threads/repository-of-delta4s-creepy-threads.380251/

Actually, its not Delta who has the issues.

Its those posters who believe sexuality to be scary and dirty who have the issues.

If you believe he violates rules, report him.

There is nothing quite like a pair of dudes bringing out the immaturity in each other.

Greg

Greg

This^^

Another example:

Where? Stats please!! As for appropriate touching? Dunno. I'm not one for tactile communication/feelings/ in touch with one's feminine side sort of stuff. I know I don't but there are those who are quite innocent who do. There's touching appropriately and then there's groping. One should understand the difference.

Greg

I could understand it if she had rude comments made. I've had some rude comments made before, such as (when walking with my stepson when he was small before), "hey mother, want another?" Okay, things like that are rude and uncalled for and very juvenile. Usually, it is juveniles who would make such comments too. Boys and not men. The men in this video did not say any such things. Except for the one who followed her, I didn't see anyone disrespect her in such a manner. Just saying "hello, wow, you look beautiful!" is NOT sexual harassment. That is ridiculous IMO.

Greg

This^^

Another example:

WHAT are you talking about? What should not be done? Speaking to people you see on the street that you find attractive? That's crazy. What kind of society are we where we take offense at being called good-looking? :cuckoo: Personally, I like it when people compliment me on my appearance. I work hard at looking my best and when someone notices that, I consider it a compliment.

Do you really think that people saying, "hey beautiful" means they have rape on their minds? Goodness. This is just out of control liberal PC crapola. That woman in the video obviously has issues and should be grateful for any compliments she gets because she really doesn't look very good anyhow. :D

I was pretty clear but here it is again -

If its inappropriate to do to a man, then its not any more appropriate to do to a woman.

I talk to people. I strike up conversations with strangers. But, I don't do it to make people uncomfortable which is exactly what these kinds of comments are designed to do.

I don't consider conversaiont to be "out of control PC crapola". I consider it to be respectful and friendly.

YMMV

Yes, well these were men who were probably in their mid 20s. Lol. It was priceless though. They were certainly not expecting me to walk right up to them and say something. :D

Must have tested their resolve.

My approach has always been to leave them alone. I was raised to be respectful to women. Open doors and the like.

Once when I was in H.S. a girl chewed my ass out for opening a door for her. I'm ashamed to say I was too immature to handle that correctly. Today I'd just say "I'm sure you'll get it for me the next time". Instead I walked through the door and shut it in her face.

I'll say a few Our Fathers for that sin.

Greg

This^^

Another example:

If its inappropriate to do to a man, then its not any more appropriate to do to a woman.

I talk to people. I strike up conversations with strangers. But, I don't do it to make people uncomfortable which is exactly what these kinds of comments are designed to do.

I don't consider conversaiont to be "out of control PC crapola". I consider it to be respectful and friendly.

YMMV

What would you find inappropriate to say to a man? If I was to say to you, "my luddly, you are a very handsome man!" Would that offend you? Would you think I was sexually harassing you?

What a waste of time.

Greg

Greg

Actually, its not Delta who has the issues.

Its those posters who believe sexuality to be scary and dirty who have the issues.

If you believe he violates rules, report him.

For being a wanker? Gee: we'd lose half the people who post here.

Greg

Greg

This^^

Another example:

YMMV

What would you find inappropriate to say to a man? If I was to say to you, "my luddly, you are a very handsome man!" Would that offend you? Would you think I was sexually harassing you?

Difference lies in familiarity. If you know the person it can be playful banter. If it's coming on the street from a stranger it's totally inappropriate.

Must have tested their resolve.

My approach has always been to leave them alone. I was raised to be respectful to women. Open doors and the like.

Once when I was in H.S. a girl chewed my ass out for opening a door for her. I'm ashamed to say I was too immature to handle that correctly. Today I'd just say "I'm sure you'll get it for me the next time". Instead I walked through the door and shut it in her face.

I'll say a few Our Fathers for that sin.

lol. Similar thing happened to me at Uni. A femo (I found out later) gave me a real serve for doing that. I let go the door and it slammed shut...brand new spring loaded. It broke her nose. I didn't find out about it for a few days. I was quite disconcerted at the time. I avoided her after that.

Greg

This^^

Another example:

YMMV

Difference lies in familiarity. If you know the person it can be playful banter. If it's coming on the street from a stranger it's totally inappropriate.

Just, just shut up.

This^^

Another example:

YMMV

I disagree. Without friendly banter, we would never meet other people. Goodness, that's so unfriendly. How about saying "why thank you, how kind." The whole thing is rather silly if you ask me, and there really is no problem. Also, this video was obviously edited. This is supposed to be 10 hours of footage, so she really didn't get that many comments, and it probably depended on what section of the city she was in. There are street vendors (many illegal of course) who WILL approach women (and men) on the streets in such a manner, to capture their attention.

Forum List

Back