Senator To Introduce Legislation To Revoke Nfl's Tax Breaks Over Washington Football Team Name

Honestly... after seeing who is defending the name on this thread... I'm starting to wonder if I'm siding with the wrong people...

You should be wondering...

I've spent my entire life being proud of the Redskins moniker. It's the least degrading word I can think of. If I were in an argument with someone and I wanted to shout an obscenity at them there is absolutely ZERO chance I'd call them a Redskin. Because it's not an insult.

I wish I was part Native American so that I could defend it.

I'm Taino. Does that count? Or is that not North American enough?

In a free country we fight for the right to name and say as we please. I am sorry you're a fascist Lakota.

Money talks, sparky. It's called capitalism. Isn't that what you NaziCons love?
Remember what you posted the next time you feel the need to bitch about the Koch talking with their money sparky. Or do you only support capitalism and freedom of speech when it's used for things you agree with?

Please show even ONE post where I've bitched about Koch's talking with their money. Just ONE. The Kochsuckers are assholes - but they have a right to spend as they legally wish - just as we have a right to boycott their shit.
I don't keep records of everyone's post for the record boycotting someone simply because you don't like their personal politics is a form of bitching.

Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.) announced on Tuesday that she plans to introduce legislation that would revoke the NFL’s tax-exempt status unless the league’s owners put pressure on the Washington football team to change the team's name.

According to The Washington Post, Cantwell was joined by Native American chiefs for the announcement, part of a larger campaign to get the Washington football team to change its name, which many consider offensive.

“The NFL needs to join the rest of Americans in the 21st century,” Cantwell said on Tuesday. “It is about right and wrong.”

Washington football team owner Dan Snyder has refused to change the team's name and has argued that it is a term of honor and respect.

In May, Cantwell was one of 50 senators who sent a letter to Snyder urging him to change the team’s name. In an unusual move in June, the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board cancelled six of the team’s trademark registrations because its name was offensive. Snyder is appealing that ruling.

Senator To Introduce Legislation To Revoke NFL's Tax Breaks Over Washington Football Team Name

It's just a matter of time...
You must be the only fake indian in the country without a Redskin's sticker in the rear window of your ride. All the real indians have one I thought you would follow their lead.

yawn.......

Yawn is right.

The team has been called the Redskins for decades and now all of a sudden someone's offended?

Bullshit. I'm part Native American and the name doesn't bother me at all.

Good God. One would think if offense were taken it would be over something worth taking offense over.

Its all bullshit of the highest degree.

The real solution to this problem is to do away with welfare, then people wouldn't have time to sit around and think about this stuff. Starting with all of lakota's benefits.

How does a money making organization like gigantic sports enterprises keep a tax exempt status?

The league is Tax Exempt, the teams are not. All The league consists of is the offices for the league, the administration, and the people that handle the league wide accounts, TV, Radio, Cable, Etc.

The income goes to the Teams, which are companies, and pay corporate taxes like everyone else.

Removing the leagues tax exempt status would result in double dip taxing of the income at worst, and more than likely rejiggering of the league to make sure the taxes are only paid once.

Wait a second: "revoke the NFL’s tax-exempt status" Why in the hell would the NFL be tax exempt in the first place? I don't care on what level the NFL should not be tax exempt.

The real solution to this problem is to do away with welfare, then people wouldn't have time to sit around and think about this stuff. Starting with all of lakota's benefits.

I find that the use of a Native America tribe name on an INTERNET discussion board very offensive. Or at least I find their posts offensive to logic.

In a free country we fight for the right to name and say as we please. I am sorry you're a fascist Lakota.

Money talks, sparky. It's called capitalism. Isn't that what you NaziCons love?

government trying to pressure private businesses through taxation is the exact opposite of the free market. It's no more capitalism than Obama is chinese

I find that the use of a Native America tribe name on an INTERNET discussion board very offensive. Or at least I find their posts offensive to logic.
That's why they should take their welfare benefits. Then they wouldn't have the time to be offended and I wouldn't need to waste my time on it. It would also save the tax payers money. A win for everyone.

it seriously annoys me that the world is on fire and we have representatives wasting their time with the name of a freaking football team. Let me guess she isn't up for reelection for four more years?

this is acting on your states interest? What interest does her state have in the name of a football team from the other side of the country????

“The NFL needs to join the rest of Americans in the 21st century,” Cantwell said on Tuesday. “It is about right and wrong.”

Well if they did that, they definitely wouldn't be for a name change since the vast majority of Americans are okay with the name.

I guess the green bay packers will be next. Should ruffle the feathers of all the queers.
Patriots should be next, liberals cannot stand them.

LOL

Maybe next will be Steelers. (we would expect it not to be spelled correctly.)

Forum List

Back