Sen Cotton: Slavery a “Necessary Evil”

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have to study the history of slavery and its role and impact on the development of our country because otherwise we can't understand our country. As the Founding Fathers said, it was the necessary evil upon which the union was built, but the union was built in a way, as Lincoln said, to put slavery on the course to its ultimate extinction."

We adopted slavery because the Southern States refused to join without it. Slavery was not on a path to extinction. In fact, after eighty years, it was expanding as breeding slaves was big business. Even after the 13 th Anendment, Southern States enacted strict Jim Crow laws to ensure blacks were second class citizens

bill o'really claimed that slavery wasn't all that bad. after all, they were “well fed and had decent lodgings provided by the government.”

how can that kinda mental deficiency be defended? but (R)s do.

they always do.

We have to study the history of slavery and its role and impact on the development of our country because otherwise we can't understand our country. As the Founding Fathers said, it was the necessary evil upon which the union was built, but the union was built in a way, as Lincoln said, to put slavery on the course to its ultimate extinction."

We adopted slavery because the Southern States refused to join without it. Slavery was not on a path to extinction. In fact, after eighty years, it was expanding as breeding slaves was big business. Even after the 13 th Anendment, Southern States enacted strict Jim Crow laws to ensure blacks were second class citizens

are you calling lincoln a liar?

bill o'really claimed that slavery wasn't all that bad. after all, they were “well fed and had decent lodgings provided by the government.”

they always do.
It is all part of the Lost Cause rhetoric that Republicans embrace.

Blacks were better off as slaves and they were well treated and actually enjoyed it.

History showed he was wrong. The South wanted to maintain slavery so badly that they created the Confederacy to ensure it would exist forever

they always do.

I wonder at the mental status of any person who listens to Bill O'Reilly

they always do.

Blacks were better off as slaves and they were well treated and actually enjoyed it.

i've actually never heard anyone make that argument. i've heard plenty of lefties claim that other people make that argument, but i've never run into it.

they always do.

i've actually never heard anyone make that argument. i've heard plenty of lefties claim that other people make that argument, but i've never run into it.

I did-----as a kid in WASPVILLE -----the suburban town of my childhood. Blacks are SO LUCKY---they were SAVED from pagan religions and ---lucky them---they got christianity I heard if from my little playmates-------mom did not agree. it was long ago---I is old

/----/ So Cotton is the sole voice of the Republican party, but bad democRATS never reflect the views of their party? Slavery was evil but not necessary. There was a labor shortage in the new world. They resorted to forced labor. Nothing stopped the plantations owners, who were desperate for labor, to actually pay people to work. And there were those who freed their slaves and paid them.

History showed he was wrong. The South wanted to maintain slavery so badly that they created the Confederacy to ensure it would exist forever

The more people talk about something lasting "forever" the more you know that it is shaky.

you hear anyone talking about how they will make sure we have a "national debt" forever? or they will fight to make sure that, the "national park system" lasts for a thousand years?

All thanks to Democrats, the Party of Slavery.

Kind of like how today Dems say that abortion is “necessary” and a “right”.

/----/ So Cotton is the sole voice of the Republican party, but bad democRATS never reflect the views of their party? Slavery was evil but not necessary. There was a labor shortage in the new world. They resorted to forced labor. Nothing stopped the plantations owners, who were desperate for labor, to actually pay people to work. And there were those who freed their slaves and paid them.
The OP is a lie, he wasn’t “defending” slavery or calling it a necessary evil, he was paraphrasing how the Founding Fathers viewed it. They had to accept it in order to become independent. They knew it would have to be dealt with sooner or later down the road.

they always do.

I did-----as a kid in WASPVILLE -----the suburban town of my childhood. Blacks are SO LUCKY---they were SAVED from pagan religions and ---lucky them---they got christianity I heard if from my little playmates-------mom did not agree. it was long ago---I is old

i've heard that, people looking at the positive results, down the line. Christians see getting Christianity as a plus.

some patriotic americans have pointed out that it is better to be born here, then in any african nation.

The OP is a lie, he wasn’t “defending” slavery or calling it a necessary evil, he was paraphrasing how the Founding Fathers viewed it. They had to accept it in order to become independent. They knew it would have to be dealt with sooner or later down the road.

the lib lied? what a shock.

/-----/ OOOOPS, there goes another democRAT talking point up in smoke.

the union was built in a way, as Lincoln said, to put slavery on the course to its ultimate extinction."

Slavery was not on a path to extinction.

Wrong. And now there is no slavery, save for the conformity of thought imposed by the Democrats..

Even after the 13 th Anendment, Southern States (re: Democrats) enacted strict Jim Crow laws to ensure blacks were second class citizens

Enhancement mine.

The 1619 Project is a crock of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back