Zone1 Scriptures you find baffling

Well, you know what they say about jumping to conclusions about others...it is simply the point where you stop thinking. Perhaps read what I actually wrote...and for that matter what Jesus actually said. No one needs a degree of any kind for that.

He thinks he is God's gift to the world.

What astonished me is that he thinks the robber judge is a metaphor for God. And that God fears being struck.

where does it say in the Word that they were "robber judges"... whatever the hell that means? JESUS did NOT use that term!

you are trying to be too educated. Jesus never said: Be well educated and you will end up in Heaven!

There is that verse in the Bible about how people are always learning but never able to come to the knowledge of the Truth

The Truth in Christ is easy for a young person, even a child to understand (80% of the New T anyhow).

But you try to twist things to mean something other than what the clear words say...

you are trying to be too educated. Jesus never said: Be well educated and you will end up in Heaven!
Are you saying I should stop paying attention and forget every homily I ever heard? I am now trying to picture Jesus saying to all who heard the Sermon on the Mount, "Please forget everything I said. I don't want you to become too educated."

You said you were baffled by this scripure. I made the mistake of thinking you might actually be interested in hearing why it doesn't baffle others.

Are you saying I should stop paying attention and forget every homily I ever heard? I am now trying to picture Jesus saying to all who heard the Sermon on the Mount, "Please forget everything I said. I don't want you to become too educated."

You said you were baffled by this scripure. I made the mistake of thinking you might actually be interested in hearing why it doesn't baffle others.

Oh get lost

You need help

Jesus is talking to his disciples while Pharisees were present and listening. This ancillary audience is an unjust judge who rules not for the widow's benefit but for his own. He tired of her. He was obstinate but eventually gave in; he showed no deference to anyone, after all, let alone to God. He was an empire unto himself, essentially.

If God gives justice to His elect, then by turn, He condemns the unjust, i.e., the Pharisees. And He does this about a generation later; He did not delay long over His children. Like many parables, this one is eschatological.

Jesus is talking to his disciples while Pharisees were present and listening. This ancillary audience is an unjust judge who rules not for the widow's benefit but for his own. He tired of her. He was obstinate but eventually gave in; he showed no deference to anyone, after all, let alone to God. He was an empire unto himself, essentially.

If God gives justice to His elect, then by turn, He condemns the unjust, i.e., the Pharisees. And He does this about a generation later; He did not delay long over His children. Like many parables, this one is eschatological.
What is your main point here?

because I am not following you well. And also, I don't think it SAYS in that psg that all his disciples were there w/ him.. although it CAN be presumed... I'm just concerned w/ people taking liberties with the Word. I've noticed a lot of people do that.. They shouldn't. The Word can sometimes be difficult enough to understand w/o people taking wild liberties with the interpretation thereof

in any case, once again: what is your main point here?

What astonished me is that he thinks the robber judge is a metaphor for God. And that God fears being struck.
you lie

Oh, that's right.. I said I was done w/ you

C ya...

but seriously, it makes Catholics look bad when they lie..

Last edited:
What is your main point here?

because I am not following you well. And also, I don't think it SAYS in that psg that all his disciples were there w/ him.. although it CAN be presumed... I'm just concerned w/ people taking liberties with the Word. I've noticed a lot of people do that.. They shouldn't. The Word can sometimes be difficult enough to understand w/o people taking wild liberties with the interpretation thereof

in any case, once again: what is your main point here?
I didn't say all his disciples.

I told you the point: the end of the Jewish Age. The Lord would revenge the Jews and avenge his followers.

I didn't say all his disciples.

I told you the point: the end of the Jewish Age. The Lord would revenge the Jews and avenge his followers.
The Jews? Why would God do that, after Jesus was crucified?

The Jews? Why would God do that, after Jesus was crucified?
Do you know what happened a generation after the Olivet Discourse?

Hint: a tribulation of 3 and a half years (famine, pestilence, bloodshed), armies surrounding Jerusalem, Christians fleeing the city, a five-month siege in the city once the Romans breached the wall, the destruction of the temple.

History confirms this with the First Jewish-Roman War.

The Apocalypse is simply the Revelator's account of that war.

Jews were the target. Read the gospels and Jesus' warning to those hypocrites and broods of vipers. All the parables pertain to that end. And then read the Old Testament and of the unfaithfulness of the Jews.

Hint: a tribulation of 3 and a half years (famine, pestilence, bloodshed), armies surrounding Jerusalem, Christians fleeing the city, a five-month siege in the city once the Romans breached the wall, the destruction of the temple.

Jews were the target. Read the gospels and Jesus' warning to those hypocrites and broods of vipers. All the parables pertain to that end. And then read the Old Testament and of the unfaithfulness of the Jews.
oh, you are referring to the 70 years after Christ ascended.. the fall of Jerusalem.

I know about tht but not the Olivet Discourse.

He has no idea as to Prophecy, none. nomadic5 He isn't finished with the Jews.

oh, you are referring to the 70 years after Christ ascended.. the fall of Jerusalem.

I know about tht but not the Olivet Discourse.
40 years.

And it wasn't just the fall of Jerusalem. It was the end of a people.

The Olivet Discourse is fundamental to Jewish eschatology and Christian thought.

Last edited:
Ok, there's this scripture (the first baffling one that comes to my mind) about how we are to pray incessantly (those words are actually mentioned in Thessalonians, not this one I speak of first)

This psg is on where Jesus is telling this parable about the persistent widow. The widow wants some kind of vindication, we don't know what the problem was but she keeps pestering the judge and he, though he fears not God or man, gives in to what she wants, saying he will do so

"lest she strike me."

OK, the Judge is a metaphor for Christ and/or the Father.

So my question is: How can anyone "strike God"???!!

:45:

OK, here is the DR version where there is no mention of her striking the judge, but only the judge saying "lest she wear me out."

Luke 18
Douay-Rheims Bible
Parable of the Persistent Widow

1And he spoke also a parable to them, that we ought always to pray and not to faint, 2Saying: There was a judge in a certain city, who feared not God nor regarded man. 3And there was a certain widow in that city; and she came to him, saying: Avenge me of my adversary. 4And he would not for a long time. But afterwards he said within himself: Although I fear not God nor regard man, 5Yet because this widow is troublesome to me, I will avenge her, lest continually coming she weary me. 6And the Lord said: Hear what the unjust judge saith. 7And will not God revenge his elect who cry to him day and night? And will he have patience in their regard? 8I say to you that he will quickly revenge them. But yet the Son of man, when he cometh, shall he find, think you, faith on Earth?

I see you already answered your own question about the word 'strike' when you edited the OP.

If a scripture is puzzling, I think it's best to go the original language. The word that was translated as "strike" in the version you originally posted is translated as "wear me out" or "weary me" in most other translations.

And yeah, my takeaway from this parable has always been persistence in prayer. But now that I take a closer look at it, I think the important point is at the end of the parable, when Jesus basically says (I'm paraphrasing) "if an unjust earthly judge eventually answers with justice in the end, how much more will our loving and just God answer His children who cry out to Him?" So it's a very encouraging message.

Forum List

Back