Scripps Institution of Oceanography & Global Warming

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street

A sign of global warming, scientists at Scripps Institution of Oceanography say the average surface temperature of the water at Scripps Pier in the California Current has increased by almost 3 degrees since 1950

More important, what is the significance of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography? Well, they and the Woods Hole Institution of Oceanography represent the two largest independent organizations studying the oceans of the world. So, what do they have to say about global warming?

:: SCRIPPS INSTITUTION OF OCEANOGRAPHY, UC SAN DIEGO : BUSINESS :::

Global Warming : Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution

These people have a bit of an interest in the oceans, also;

Navy Releases Roadmap for Global Climate Change

OMG!

Fuckin' PANIC!!!

If you understand the issue, then yes - you probably will.

If, on the other hand, your only interest here is political loyalty, then you are probably content to dismiss the science.

This article explains why you should be concerned:

Perhaps the ocean organism most vulnerable to temperature change is coral. There is evidence that reefs will bleach (eject their symbiotic algae) at even a slight persistent temperature rise. Bleaching slows coral growth, makes them susceptible to disease, and can lead to large-scale reef die-off.

Other organisms affected by temperature change include krill, an extremely important link at the base of the food chain. Research has shown that krill reproduce in significantly smaller numbers when ocean temperatures rise. This can have a cascading effect by disrupting the life cycle of krill eaters, such as penguins and seals—which in turn causes food shortages for higher predators.

Sea Temperature Rise -- National Geographic

OMG!

Fuckin' PANIC!!!

you being a right wing idiot we can see how you'd have a knee jerk reaction like that, but for most of the world, hysteria, alarm, and panic is not our first response to a warning.

:eusa_whistle:

weirdos of a feather flock together....

TakeAStepBack
Spoonman
Flatware
Member #24208

Thanked 1,339 Times in 919 Posts

New reputation!
Hi, you have received -505 reputation points from Spoonman.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:

Regards,
Spoonman

I thought it was "Climate Change" Does it make a fucking difference anymore?

In any event, that's local, that's not global

Frankie Still Unclear on Concepts = an USMB Oddball Dude 2
Blizzard to Bury New England at the End of the Week

Global Climate Warming Change Strikes Again!!!

poor Frankie, still unclear on concepts.. :laugh2:

usmbfrankshieldtranspar.png

Global Warming and Oddball Winter Weather :clap2:

Global warming is bringing a clear trend toward heavier precipitation events.

Many areas are seeing bigger and more intense snowstorms, especially in the upper Midwest and Northeast.

Global warming is shifting storm tracks northward. Areas from the Dakotas eastward to northern Michigan have seen a trend toward more heavy snowfall season.

I thought it was "Climate Change" Does it make a fucking difference anymore?

In any event, that's local, that's not global

You aren't the fastest brain on earth, are you Frank?

The term 'climate change' has been used for 25 years now.

And no, when global ocean teamperatures rise - it isn't local.

A sign of global warming, scientists at Scripps Institution of Oceanography say the average surface temperature of the water at Scripps Pier in the California Current has increased by almost 3 degrees since 1950

So? With the increased urbanisation I would expect it to get even warmer than that. I'm actually surprised it is so low.

So? With the increased urbanisation(sic) I would expect it to get even warmer than that. I'm actually surprised it is so low.

Increased "urbanisation"(sic) since 1950 is heating the oceans???......by 3 degrees????.....ROTFLMAO......oh walleyed, I do believe you've hit a new low in sheer idiocy.....LOLOLOLOLOLOL.......try looking into the amount of thermal energy it takes to raise the temperature of a cubic foot of seawater by one degree....then study convective heat transfer in agitated liquids (like the oceans)....then consider the size/volume of the Earth's oceans compared to the size of Earth's cities......and the fact that most of any heat the cities produce goes into the atmosphere......you poor delusional retard.....grasping at such flimsy imaginary straws in your desperation over the immanent demise of your cult......

I still don't get Scripps Pier... do they toss a thermometer off the pier and read it?

I'd wondered that, too...but apparently they use robots...

The report is the first global comparison of temperature between the historic voyage of HMS Challenger (1872-1876) and modern data obtained by ocean-probing robots now continuously reporting temperatures via the global Argo program. Scientists have previously determined that nearly 90 percent of the excess heat added to Earth's climate system since the 1960s has been stored in the oceans. The new study, published in the April 1 advance online edition of Nature Climate Change and coauthored by John Gould of the United Kingdom-based National Oceanography Centre and John Gilson of Scripps Oceanography, pushes the ocean warming trend back much earlier.

Launched in 2000, the Argo program collects more than 100,000 temperature-salinity profiles per year across the world's oceans. To date, more than 1,000 research papers have been published using Argo's data set.

:: SCRIPPS OCEANOGRAPHY NEWS : : New Comparison of Ocean Temperatures Reveals Rise over the Last Century ::

More important, what is the significance of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography? Well, they and the Woods Hole Institution of Oceanography represent the two largest independent organizations studying the oceans of the world. So, what do they have to say about global warming?

:: SCRIPPS INSTITUTION OF OCEANOGRAPHY, UC SAN DIEGO : BUSINESS :::

Global Warming : Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution

These people have a bit of an interest in the oceans, also;

Navy Releases Roadmap for Global Climate Change

Independent? Does that mean that they don't get grant money?...from anywhere?

Oops....never mind. Seems that they aren't so independent at all. Big chunks of thieir money comes from the same corrupt pile that is financing the rest of climate science...then there is the money donated by foundations and individuals who have prominent seats on the AGW bandwagon.

:: SCRIPPS OCEANOGRAPHY NEWS : : Grant to Scripps and Oregon State Supports Seagoing Research Technicians for Arctic Science Missions ::

That is a .33 degree increase...not 3.0. What is the margin of error in that claim by the way? More than the claimed change maybe?

Forum List

Back