SCOTUS Upholds Law Requiring Ultrasounds For Abortions

Women's vaginas are penetrated every time they get a gyno exam. By a freezing cold device far more invasive than an ultrasound wand.

That's a question I'd never considered. Has the scotus approved any state scheme that does not allow for post first trimester abortions if likely death or serious injury will result to the "mother."?

The ban on Intact dilation and retraction method had no exemption and was upheld.
But late term abortions of non-viable fetuses or when the life of the mother is implicated can be done with a different procedure.

What procedure would that be?
I'm not a doctor, but from what I read, if the woman's life is in real danger, the docs can chemically stop the fetus's heart prior to extracting it.

Why would you do that? We are speaking late term. Why not simply extract the baby?

You are talking about a procedure that is extremely rare and only performed in extreme conditions. It's simply not a factor.

Make those women
And that's what this is really about: controlling women. Your honesty, though accidental, is refreshing.
It's not about controlling women. It's about saving the lives of the unborn.

Try again.

How does an ultrasound do that? The women know they are pregnant. What does the ultrasound do?
It makes them feel like ungrateful to be pregnant SLUTS for wanting an abortion! But it is not an "undue restriction" of a woman's right to choose even when the fetus is not yet viable. It seems strange, doesn't it?

I don't see how shoving a wand up someone's hooha is going to change their mind about wanting an abortion.
Oh, I do. The real point is to make the less educated/socially supported women wait until they have no choice left. It is coercion masquerading as health regulation.

The ban on Intact dilation and retraction method had no exemption and was upheld.
But late term abortions of non-viable fetuses or when the life of the mother is implicated can be done with a different procedure.

I'm not a doctor, but from what I read, if the woman's life is in real danger, the docs can chemically stop the fetus's heart prior to extracting it.

Why would you do that? We are speaking late term. Why not simply extract the baby?
It is considered less humane by medical ethicists

Removing a viable fetus is less humane than killing it? You are now just making crap up.

You are talking about a procedure that is extremely rare and only performed in extreme conditions. It's simply not a factor.

It is rare but that does not make something a non factor. Robbing banks is rare but yet we address it.

ultrasound+wand.jpg

That is much larger than any doctor's finger...

Make those women
And that's what this is really about: controlling women. Your honesty, though accidental, is refreshing.
It's not about controlling women. It's about saving the lives of the unborn.

Try again.

How does an ultrasound do that? The women know they are pregnant. What does the ultrasound do?

Absolutely nothing. In the present context, it functions only a a tool for big-government-sponsored psychological manipulation.

It is rare but that does not make something a non factor. Robbing banks is rare but yet we address it.

It's more rare than bank robberies. Barely over 1% of abortions are performed after 21 weeks.

Removing a viable fetus is less humane than killing it? You are now just making crap up.

Late term abortions are done on non viable fetuses. Although a little of that depends on what you mean by non-viable.

It's more rare than bank robberies. Barely over 1% of abortions are performed after 21 weeks.

Whether something is rare or not does not determine if it should be OK or not.

Late term abortions are done on non viable fetuses. Although a little of that depends on what you mean by non-viable.

It's true now that the law was passed.

Of course the "okayness" is situational.

Dana Weinstein was 31 weeks into her second pregnancy, preparing to welcome a daughter, when she and her husband were given horrible news: A critical piece of the brain had not developed properly.

"[We were told] that our baby would have seizures 70% of the time — that was a best-case scenario; that when we delivered her, that we'd need to have a resuscitation order in place because she would most likely seize to death," Weinstein said.

Almost a decade later, Weinstein and her husband are the parents of three active children — a boy and two girls. She's 48, living in the suburbs of Washington, D.C., and working for a nonprofit.

She still tears up when she talks about that diagnosis and the difficult decisions that surrounded it. Fearing a short and painful life for their baby, Weinstein and her husband chose to travel to Boulder, Colo., to end the pregnancy, at one of the few clinics in the country that offer third-trimester abortions.
Abortion In The Third Trimester: A Rare Decision Now In The Political Spotlight

Of course the "okayness" is situational.

Dana Weinstein was 31 weeks into her second pregnancy, preparing to welcome a daughter, when she and her husband were given horrible news: A critical piece of the brain had not developed properly.

"[We were told] that our baby would have seizures 70% of the time — that was a best-case scenario; that when we delivered her, that we'd need to have a resuscitation order in place because she would most likely seize to death," Weinstein said.

Almost a decade later, Weinstein and her husband are the parents of three active children — a boy and two girls. She's 48, living in the suburbs of Washington, D.C., and working for a nonprofit.

She still tears up when she talks about that diagnosis and the difficult decisions that surrounded it. Fearing a short and painful life for their baby, Weinstein and her husband chose to travel to Boulder, Colo., to end the pregnancy, at one of the few clinics in the country that offer third-trimester abortions.
Abortion In The Third Trimester: A Rare Decision Now In The Political Spotlight

The doctors told her that there was no way to have caught the malformation sooner, even being so severe, as fetal brain abnormalities are often only detectable around the third trimester.

This is not true. When one reads something so obviously not true one can not take any of the story as factual.

https://www.omicsonline.org/open-access/cns-abnormalities-at-1114-weeks-2572-4983-1000141-96490.html

You do realize the options are to allow the woman to deliver a dead fetus, and the means to perform a late term abortion now involved painlessly stopped the fetal heartbeat before any abortion, or to force the woman to suffer death or injury? And there is no pain involved with chemically stopping a heartbeat, which we do now for the terminally ill anyway.

I know a woman who had an abortion. But because she knows now she regrets killing her baby she now owns a woman’s clinic with a name that pretty much implies abortions are done here. She offers a free ultrasound to get things started.

Over 80% of the women will decide to keep the baby after seeing it. She has saved thousands of lives so far. She offers services and connections to get the new moms thru their difficulties.

This new law will save many children. Now other States can move forward and emulate it.

Forum List

Back