Science for Use in Science Fiction

Another subjective ranking list admittedly. I've seen about half of these but the lurbs on the rest leave me thinking there could be some trade outs. Anyway, FWIW ...

The 31 greatest sci-fi movies​

From Arrival to Akira, these are the greatest sci-fi movies ever made

When it comes to science fiction, there's no shortage of thrills and chills on the big screen. But how do you narrow down your picks of the greatest sci-fi movies? Well, we've attempted to do just that. Spanning decades, we've gone back to the '60s and worked our way through to the present day, looking to Hollywood and beyond.

You'll find plenty of classics in this directed by the greats, from Stanley Kubrick to Steven Spielberg and Ridley Scott to the Wachowski sisters, but we've also looked further afield to releases that may have slipped under your radar. From alien invasions to space travel and time-hopping, it's all here in our guide to the greatest sci-fi movies to grace our screens.

Because we use those measurements in our frame of reference. We are people, not photons.
A light year is just a simple way of measuring distance in the universe . 1 light year is approximately 5.8 trillion miles so instead of writing the nearest galaxy is 146,000,000,000,000,000 miles, it's a lot easier to write 25,000 light years.

When we use our new amazing telescopes to see images of objects which are 200 million light years away, we are seeing those objects as they appeared 200 million years ago.

Light takes that long from that distance to get here.

If we could get our actual human bodies not space craft capable of theoretical faster than light speed (despite the problems of all that mass), it would take us a bit more than 200 million years to get there.

That’s why sci fi authors try to extrapolate such concepts as “warp” fields and “quantum” travel. But unless we can do something like that at some point, we are going to have to rely on generational space craft. And that’s about of generations.

Oh, and the fuel and propellants are also of some concern.

When we use our new amazing telescopes to see images of objects which are 200 million light years away, we are seeing those objects as they appeared 200 million years ago.

If we could get our actual human bodies not space craft capable of theoretical faster than light speed (despite the problems of all that mass), it would take us a bit more than 200 million years to get there.

That’s why sci fi authors try to extrapolate such concepts as “warp” fields and “quantum” travel. But unless we can do something like that at some point, we are going to have to rely on generational space craft. And that’s about of generations.

I think we will be relying on science fiction to travel to galaxies for a long, long time. I also think generational ships will remain pure science fiction. The idea that our best and most capable people are going to give up everything to take their families and their families on a trip to nowhere with only the hope that some time in the distance future their descendants might land on a planet that most probably will not be better than the earth.

I think we will be relying on science fiction to travel to galaxies for a long, long time. I also think generational ships will remain pure science fiction. The idea that our best and most capable people are going to give up everything to take their families and their families on a trip to nowhere with only the hope that some time in the distance future their descendants might land on a planet that most probably will not be better than the earth.
The notion has lots of problems.

I agree.

The notion has lots of problems.

I agree.
I think it is possible that someday the earth will go so far downhill, environmentally, socially, and economically that large numbers of people will want to leave believing that the alternative to earth has got to be better.

Fairly short article explaining it;

Why Is Our Solar System Flat?​

It started as a big old ball of dust, so how did it end up like a giant pancake? Our resident physicist tells the true story using fake forces.

Generation spaceships/starships will likely evolve out of large colony habitats orbiting Earth. Such have been contemplated as more economical way to support large scale construction projects such as a ring of orbital solar power satellites in geosynchronous orbit. Working along with colonies on the Moon where most of the mining and manufacture might be.

If used for interstellar travel, such as the nearly five LY trip to Alpha Centari (closes star -trinary system), large asteroids might be the nucleus for such. sections hollowed out inside for habitat, etc, and the mass of the asteroid used for propellant.

Space habitat - Wikipedia

O'Neill cylinder - Wikipedia

iu

iu

Images for orbital colonies and habitats in space

Forum List

Back