Science for Use in Science Fiction

Earthbound solar storm could cause 'internet apocalypse'​

'Internet apocalypse': How NASA's solar-storm studies could help save the web​

Is the "internet apocalypse" coming?​

Above show another take on EMP.

I can't imagine suddenly being thrust back to a time before smart phones. Or cell phones. Imagine no internet or cell phones.

I can't imagine suddenly being thrust back to a time before smart phones. Or cell phones. Imagine no internet or cell phones.
Until about 30~40 years ago that was the world for we older ones. And back then is when it was just starting to filter out to the masses. The internet that is, and first. Cell phones like now came later.

Astronomers find zombie planet that ‘shouldn’t exist’​

Black Hole Discovery Creates 'Chicken-or-Egg' Problem for Astrophysicists​

Distortions in space-time could put Einstein's theory of relativity to the ultimate test​

OTD in Space – June 29: Cosmonauts Found Dead After Returning
On June 29, 1971, a Soviet space mission ended in tragedy when three Russian cosmonauts were found dead inside their spacecraft after returning to Earth. [‘On This Day in Space’ Video Series on Space.com] Inside the Soyuz 11 space capsule were cosmonauts Vladislav Nikolayevich, Viktor Ivanovich Patsayev, and Georgi Timofeyevich Dobrovolskiy. They were the only crew to ever board the world's first space station, Salyut 1. They launched on June 6, 1971 and spent 23 days doing science experiments aboard the space station before heading back to Earth. The reentry seemed to be going according to plan until the recovery team opened the capsule. Investigators believe the crew had become asphyxiated when a ventilation valve rattled open, causing the cabin to depressurize.

Ocean of gravitational waves that Einstein predicted is discovered in our galaxy

Scientists discover that universe is awash in gravitational waves​

Neutrino map of the galaxy is 1st view of the Milky Way in 'anything other than light'​

Last edited:

Scientists Are Getting Kinda Anxious About a Pothole in Space​

• The Earth’s magnetic field protects us, and our orbiting tech, from the worst effects of the Sun’s energetic rays.
  • In a region called the South Atlantic Anomaly, however, the magnetic field is significantly weaker than over the rest of the planet.
  • NASA is tracking the anomaly, and researchers believe it may have popped up in our sky before.
Earth’s magnetic field is incredibly important to life on our planet. Beyond allowing for compass navigation and displaying the Aurora Borealis way up north, it is responsible for shielding us from the worst effects of the Sun’s rays. A little bit of Sun, we need—a lot would have some serious negative impacts.

Thankfully, we do have a magnetic field. But there’s a bit of a problem: Our magnetic field has a dent in it—what ScienceAlert calls a “pothole in space.”

It’s called the South Atlantic Anomaly (SAA), and it’s not a physical dent. It’s a region in the skies between South America and Africa where our magnetic field is weaker than it is around the rest of the planet. This weakness isn’t life-threatening—it would have to be way more significant to threaten the planet’s surface—but it is an issue for the craft we’ve launched into orbit.

Until about 30~40 years ago that was the world for we older ones. And back then is when it was just starting to filter out to the masses. The internet that is, and first. Cell phones like now came later.
June 2007: The first generation iPhone hits the U.S. market.

Things were a lot different 16 years ago.

And a whole lot more different 46 years ago.
I was 6. Already in 2nd grade. Color tv. No video games yet. No microwaves. No cable. At least not in my house. I remember my uncle up north was the first person I saw with cable.

The worst was not having a cell phone. That was a huge advancement. Pagers sucked. You still had to pull over and call them back. And if they left you missed them. And unless you were home, you couldn’t be reached. Or maybe you could be tracked down. He’s going to Larry’s? What’s Larry’s number? Lol

Having the internet on the phone is almost magic compared to 46 years ago. They wouldn’t believe it. My dad to this day can’t believe it. Got frustrated with the smart phone and returned it for a flip phone. He’s still living in 2006.

I was 6. Already in 2nd grade. Color tv. No video games yet. No microwaves. No cable. At least not in my house. I remember my uncle up north was the first person I saw with cable.

The worst was not having a cell phone. That was a huge advancement. Pagers sucked. You still had to pull over and call them back. And if they left you missed them. And unless you were home, you couldn’t be reached. Or maybe you could be tracked down. He’s going to Larry’s? What’s Larry’s number? Lol

Having the internet on the phone is almost magic compared to 46 years ago. They wouldn’t believe it. My dad to this day can’t believe it. Got frustrated with the smart phone and returned it for a flip phone. He’s still living in 2006.
46 years ago was 1977 and I was 27. There was color TV, cable, and microwaves here in most parts of the PNW. Video games were around the corner and at the time were arcade games in bars and bowling alleys, etc. Satellite phones were starting to show up but were the size of a breadbox/walkie-talkie and very expensive to purchase, or use. Back around 1971-74 when I was learning COBOL and RPG, etc. we used punch card to load our programs. Personal computers were still a few years in the future.

The past century plus has been one of increasing pace of technology advancement. My grandparents were born long before 1900, when most people went about in horse and buggy, yet they lived long enough to see men on the Moon.

Part of learning history is trying to envision what those in the past had to live with and experience.

46 years ago was 1977 and I was 27. There was color TV, cable, and microwaves here in most parts of the PNW. Video games were around the corner and at the time were arcade games in bars and bowling alleys, etc. Satellite phones were starting to show up but were the size of a breadbox/walkie-talkie and very expensive to purchase, or use. Back around 1971-74 when I was learning COBOL and RPG, etc. we used punch card to load our programs. Personal computers were still a few years in the future.

The past century plus has been one of increasing pace of technology advancement. My grandparents were born long before 1900, when most people went about in horse and buggy, yet they lived long enough to see men on the Moon.

Part of learning history is trying to envision what those in the past had to live with and experience.

By 1986, only 25% of households in the U.S. owned a microwave oven

I drove a limo in in the late 80's and early 90's. I remember my boss gave me a cell phone it was huge. Just to make 1 quick call cost around $5 she said. She said "don't use it unless of an emergency". I had to use it. I called someone. Lucky I didn't get fired. In the early 90's no one had cell phones. We were still using beepers.

In 1983, the DynaTAC 8000x was the first commercially available handheld mobile phone.

And I went off to college in 1988. I remember it was the first year computers were used. We would have to save every paragraph because the computers were constantly turning off for no reason and everything you typed was GONE if you didn't save it.

My point is. My recollection is that it was the 80's and 90's when these things became popular for the masses.

I also remember in 1999 I went to Greece and this woman was text messaging her friends. We didn't have that technology back home. But soon we had it. I was surprised that Europeans had something before we did. I always thought we got everything first.

By 1986, only 25% of households in the U.S. owned a microwave oven

I drove a limo in in the late 80's and early 90's. I remember my boss gave me a cell phone it was huge. Just to make 1 quick call cost around $5 she said. She said "don't use it unless of an emergency". I had to use it. I called someone. Lucky I didn't get fired. In the early 90's no one had cell phones. We were still using beepers.

In 1983, the DynaTAC 8000x was the first commercially available handheld mobile phone.

And I went off to college in 1988. I remember it was the first year computers were used. We would have to save every paragraph because the computers were constantly turning off for no reason and everything you typed was GONE if you didn't save it.

My point is. My recollection is that it was the 80's and 90's when these things became popular for the masses.

I also remember in 1999 I went to Greece and this woman was text messaging her friends. We didn't have that technology back home. But soon we had it. I was surprised that Europeans had something before we did. I always thought we got everything first.
My best friend had one of these about 1986-87 and I recall spending quite a few weekends with him doing the early PC games, mostly wargames with the computer "AI" a fairly capable opponent.
Amiga is a family of personal computers introduced by Commodore in 1985. The original model is one of a number of mid-1980s computers with 16- or 16/32-bit processors, 256 KB or more of RAM, mouse-based GUIs, and significantly improved graphics and audio compared to previous 8-bit systems. These systems include the Atari ST—released earlier the same year—as well as the Macintosh and Acorn Archimedes. Based on the Motorola 68000 microprocessor, the Amiga differs from its contemporaries through the inclusion of custom hardware to accelerate graphics and sound, including sprites and a blitter, and a pre-emptive multitasking operating system called AmigaOS.

The Amiga 1000 was released in July 1985, but production problems kept it from becoming widely available until early 1986. The best-selling model, the Amiga 500, was introduced in 1987 along with the more expandable Amiga 2000. The Amiga 3000 was introduced in 1990, followed by the Amiga 500 Plus, and Amiga 600 in March 1992. Finally, the Amiga 1200 and Amiga 4000 were released in late 1992. The Amiga line sold an estimated 4.85 million units.

Although early advertisements cast the computer as an all-purpose business machine,[2][3][4][5][6][7] especially when outfitted with the Sidecar IBM PC compatibility add-on, the Amiga was most commercially successful as a home computer, with a wide range of games and creative software. The Video Toaster hardware and software suite helped Amiga find a prominent role in desktop video and video production. The Amiga's audio hardware made it a popular platform for music tracker software. The processor and memory capacity enabled 3D rendering packages, including LightWave 3D, Imagine, and Traces, a predecessor to Blender.

Poor marketing and the failure of later models to repeat the technological advances of the first systems resulted in Commodore quickly losing market share to the rapidly dropping prices of IBM PC compatibles, which gained 256 color graphics in 1987,[8] as well as the fourth generation of video game consoles.

Commodore ultimately went bankrupt in April 1994 after a version of the Amiga packaged as a game console, the Amiga CD32, failed in the marketplace. Since the demise of Commodore, various groups have marketed successors to the original Amiga line, including Genesi, Eyetech, ACube Systems Srl and A-EON Technology. AmigaOS has influenced replacements, clones, and compatible systems such as MorphOS and AROS. Currently Belgian company Hyperion Entertainment maintains and develops AmigaOS 4, which is an official and direct descendant of AmigaOS 3.1 – the last system made by Commodore for the original Amiga Computers.

My best friend had one of these about 1986-87 and I recall spending quite a few weekends with him doing the early PC games, mostly wargames with the computer "AI" a fairly capable opponent.
Amiga is a family of personal computers introduced by Commodore in 1985. The original model is one of a number of mid-1980s computers with 16- or 16/32-bit processors, 256 KB or more of RAM, mouse-based GUIs, and significantly improved graphics and audio compared to previous 8-bit systems. These systems include the Atari ST—released earlier the same year—as well as the Macintosh and Acorn Archimedes. Based on the Motorola 68000 microprocessor, the Amiga differs from its contemporaries through the inclusion of custom hardware to accelerate graphics and sound, including sprites and a blitter, and a pre-emptive multitasking operating system called AmigaOS.

The Amiga 1000 was released in July 1985, but production problems kept it from becoming widely available until early 1986. The best-selling model, the Amiga 500, was introduced in 1987 along with the more expandable Amiga 2000. The Amiga 3000 was introduced in 1990, followed by the Amiga 500 Plus, and Amiga 600 in March 1992. Finally, the Amiga 1200 and Amiga 4000 were released in late 1992. The Amiga line sold an estimated 4.85 million units.

Although early advertisements cast the computer as an all-purpose business machine,[2][3][4][5][6][7] especially when outfitted with the Sidecar IBM PC compatibility add-on, the Amiga was most commercially successful as a home computer, with a wide range of games and creative software. The Video Toaster hardware and software suite helped Amiga find a prominent role in desktop video and video production. The Amiga's audio hardware made it a popular platform for music tracker software. The processor and memory capacity enabled 3D rendering packages, including LightWave 3D, Imagine, and Traces, a predecessor to Blender.

Poor marketing and the failure of later models to repeat the technological advances of the first systems resulted in Commodore quickly losing market share to the rapidly dropping prices of IBM PC compatibles, which gained 256 color graphics in 1987,[8] as well as the fourth generation of video game consoles.

Commodore ultimately went bankrupt in April 1994 after a version of the Amiga packaged as a game console, the Amiga CD32, failed in the marketplace. Since the demise of Commodore, various groups have marketed successors to the original Amiga line, including Genesi, Eyetech, ACube Systems Srl and A-EON Technology. AmigaOS has influenced replacements, clones, and compatible systems such as MorphOS and AROS. Currently Belgian company Hyperion Entertainment maintains and develops AmigaOS 4, which is an official and direct descendant of AmigaOS 3.1 – the last system made by Commodore for the original Amiga Computers.
These things really took off in the 80's and 90's. I don't recall computers or cell phones in 1979. Or 1981. It was late 80's and early 90's when I started seeing these things.

MTV (originally an initialism of Music Television) is an American cable channel officially launched on August 1, 1981.

Forum List

Back