Science, And What Science Isn't

10. There are several reasons for so many falling all over themselves to extol, to praise.....dare I say 'worship' the 'science' of SWAG....'scientific wild ass guess' kind of science....such as these:

The Mulitiverse Theory
String theory
The Higgs boson
The universe created out of nothing.

a. There are more working 'scientists' today than ever before...and they all need to put food on the table. Scientists they may be, but they are a variety of entrepreneur....they need employment, grants, stipends, etc. You get same by publishing 'research,' by thinking up avenues to investigate that haven't been investigated to death.
The irony is that many claim to be anti-capitalism.

Probability or even possibility of the investigation is secondary.

b. Then there are lots of folks who claim to recognize the genius behind those fake/absurd endeavors. The further from reality and experience, the better. They need the claim to impress others, to appear informed, deeply knowledgeable...au fait.

There's that word for it:
"sci·o·lism A pretentious attitude of scholarship; superficial knowledgeability."
sciolism - definition of sciolism by The Free Dictionary

c. And one more motivation....the least reputable one: the need to find a way to explain the creation of the universe, and how it works, without reference to a Creator. The scientists in this group are largely atheist and, if not redundant, Marxist, a political view requiring atheism.

1. Astrophysicist Fred Hoyle advanced the following after studying the resonances of carbon during nucleosynthesis. “The universe,” he concluded, “looks like a put-up job.” An atheist, Hoyle did not care to consider who might have put the job up, and when pressed, he took refuge in the hypothesis that aliens were the cause. In this master stroke he was joined later by DNA-discoverer, Francis Crick. When aliens are dropped from the argument, there remains a very intriguing question: Why do the constants and parameters of theoretical physics obey such tight constraints?

1. Physicist Leonard Susskind wrote “If, for some unforeseen reason, the landscape turns out to be inconsistent — maybe for mathematical reasons, or because it disagrees with observation — I am pretty sure that physicists will go on searching for natural explanations of the world. But I have to say that if that happens, as things stand now we will be in a very awkward position. Without any explanation of nature’s fine-tunings we will be hard pressed to answer the ID [intelligent design] critics. One might argue that the hope that a mathematically unique solution will emerge is as faith-based as ID.”
As I stated earlier.

1. And some will let the 'cat out of the bag,' admitting that any craziness will do, no matter how preposterous,......
“We take the side of science in spite of the patent absurdity of some of its constructs,” the geneticist Richard Lewontin remarked equably in The New York Review of Books, “in spite of its failure to fulfill many of its extravagant promises of health and life, in spite of the tolerance of the scientific community for unsubstantiated just-so stories.” We are to put up with science’s unsubstantiated just-so stories because, Lewontin explains, “we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door!”

His words, not mine.

Here's hoping that some day, in the near future, science will re-discover science.
Unfortunately for you and those like you, Harun Yahya is not discovering science.

Couldn't hack it in the polticial arena so trying your luck in the scientific realm?
Well. You're here too.
Another example would be the Oort Cloud. We have these things called comets, which by the empirical evidence, suggest they wouldn't last much more than a few hundred thousand years. Yet they are still here.

That makes the "universe is billions of years old" theory in trouble.

So they just made up the magical mythic, zero evidence, Oort Cloud. No one has seen it. No one has detected it. But it must exist, because the universe must be billions of years old, and something has to spawn these short lived comets.
There is a theory about where comets came from. In the Bible, it said that the fountains of the deep opened up at the start of the flood. The belief is that the water escaped at such speed, that it reached escape velocity. There are also extremely large underground reservoirs of fresh water in Siberia. This is likely a remnant of this vast underground reservoir.

4. In the West, many elevate science to the level of a god, which is their right, ...there are huge gaps in knowledge that, for the nonbeliever, require leaps of faith: and sure enough, scientists and their devotees, at times, invest in the same kinds of faith as religious people do.

Some scientists will admit that they see science, in some sense, as their religion:

“I believe a material explanation will be found, but that confidence comes from my faith that science is up to the task of explaining, in purely material or naturalistic terms, the whole history of life. My faith is well founded, but it is still faith.”
What neo-creationists get right - The Scientist - Magazine of the Life Sciences

But most are not so self-aware, and don’t realize the faith status of their own views. Which brings up back to the SWAG.....

The Mulitiverse Theory
String theory
The Higgs boson
The universe created out of nothing.[/QUO
Why is the Higgs boson particle on that list? You do know they found it, right? Just saying.

Couldn't hack it in the polticial arena so trying your luck in the scientific realm?
Well. You're here too.
Another example would be the Oort Cloud. We have these things called comets, which by the empirical evidence, suggest they wouldn't last much more than a few hundred thousand years. Yet they are still here.

So they just made up the magical mythic, zero evidence, Oort Cloud. No one has seen it. No one has detected it. But it must exist, because the universe must be billions of years old, and something has to spawn these short lived comets.
There is a theory about where comets came from. In the Bible, it said that the fountains of the deep opened up at the start of the flood. The belief is that the water escaped at such speed, that it reached escape velocity. There are also extremely large underground reservoirs of fresh water in Siberia. This is likely a remnant of this vast underground reservoir.
The various bibles have many fanciful tales and fables.

Water from "fountains of the deep" reaching escape velocity, huh?

You people are scary.

There is a tongue-in-cheek reference to what science is, and what it isn't.
The term used is "SWAG."

It means a 'scientific wild ass guess."
It's meant to poke fun at folks who believe 'scientific' facts that are based on a confident and unquestioning belief,...sometimes called 'faith.'

Here's some examples of SWAG....

The Mulitiverse Theory
String theory
The Higgs boson
The universe created out of nothing.

What do these have in common?
All of 'em are of the modern fashion called 'science.'

But none of 'em are scientific....yet they are drooled over, praised,...accepted by the many infected with sciolism,
"Sciolism: A pretentious attitude of scholarship; superficial knowledgeability." sciolism - definition of sciolism by The Free Dictionary

Another word that applies to those willing to accept the absurd and call it knowledge.....'sophomoric: intellectually pretentious and conceited but immature and ill-informed."

1. Such wasn't always the overlay in socieity.....On Wednesday, June 6, 1928 the Oxford English Dictionary was completed.

In The Meaning of Everything, a book about the creation of the OED,Simon Winchester discusses the English of the time as follows:

“The English establishment of the day might be rightly derided at this remove as having been class-ridden and imperialist, bombastic and blimpish, racist and insouciant- but it was marked undeniably also by a sweeping erudition and confidence, and it was peopled by men and women who felt they were able to know all, to understand much, and in consequence to radiate the wisdom of deep learning.”

Today we may have given up being racist and imperialist, and class-ridden....but much of our populace has also given up the sense that we are 'able to know all, to understand much, and in consequence to radiate the wisdom of deep learning.'

They accept the absurd and call themselves wise.
SWAG is now accepted as 'science' by the sophomoric, afflicted with sciolism.
I always expect the worst when you Harun Yahya groupies find a reason to lecture others on science.

4. In the West, many elevate science to the level of a god, which is their right, ...there are huge gaps in knowledge that, for the nonbeliever, require leaps of faith: and sure enough, scientists and their devotees, at times, invest in the same kinds of faith as religious people do.

Some scientists will admit that they see science, in some sense, as their religion:

“I believe a material explanation will be found, but that confidence comes from my faith that science is up to the task of explaining, in purely material or naturalistic terms, the whole history of life. My faith is well founded, but it is still faith.”

But most are not so self-aware, and don’t realize the faith status of their own views. Which brings up back to the SWAG.....

The Mulitiverse Theory
String theory
The Higgs boson
Why is the Higgs boson particle on that list? You do know they found it, right? Just saying.

Hardly.

Not when half of thy SWAG folks deny it has been found.

When the Large Hadron Collider at CERN Laboratory in Geneva closed down for upgrades in early 2013, its collisions had failed to yield any of dozens of particles that many theorists had included in their equations for more than 30 years. The grand flop suggests that researchers may have taken a wrong turn decades ago in their understanding of how to calculate the masses of particles.

Yet decades after their prediction, none of the supersymmetric particles have been found. “That’s what the Large Hadron Collider has been looking for, but it hasn’t seen anything,” saidSavas Dimopoulos, a professor of particle physics at Stanford University who helped develop the supersymmetry hypothesis in the early 1980s. “Somehow, the Higgs is not protected.”

....many physicists have grown increasingly convinced that the theory has failed. Just last month at the International Conference of High-Energy Physics in Valencia, Spain, researchers analyzing the largest data set yet from the LHC found no evidence of supersymmetric particles. (The data also strongly disfavors an alternative proposal called “technicolor.”) Radical New Theory Could Kill the Multiverse Hypothesis WIRED

People with no education in science, and who have demonstrated vast ignorance in science, do not get to decide what is or is not science.

I've asked it before and never gotten an answer, but PC, what is you scientific background?

Well. You're here too.

The various bibles have many fanciful tales and fables.

Water from "fountains of the deep" reaching escape velocity, huh?

You people are scary.[/QUOT

I didn't explain it very well, but it is an interesting theory. It's called the hydroplate theory. Why don't you Google it? It's pretty interesting, even if it isn't correct.

When the Large Hadron Collider at CERN Laboratory in Geneva closed down for upgrades in early 2013, its collisions had failed to yield any of dozens of particles that many theorists had included in their equations for more than 30 years.
The Higgs Boson was discovered on the 4th of July 2012

"When the Large Hadron Collider at CERN Laboratory in Geneva closed down for upgrades in early 2013, its collisions had failed to yield any of dozens of particles that many theorists had included in their equations for more than 30 years. The grand flop suggests that researchers may have taken a wrong turn decades ago in their understanding of how to calculate the masses of particles.

Yet decades after their prediction, none of the supersymmetric particles have been found. “That’s what the Large Hadron Collider has been looking for, but it hasn’t seen anything,” saidSavas Dimopoulos, a professor of particle physics at Stanford University who helped develop the supersymmetry hypothesis in the early 1980s. “Somehow, the Higgs is not protected.”

....many physicists have grown increasingly convinced that the theory has failed. Just last month at the International Conference of High-Energy Physics in Valencia, Spain, researchers analyzing the largest data set yet from the LHC found no evidence of supersymmetric particles. (The data also strongly disfavors an alternative proposal called “technicolor.”) "
Radical New Theory Could Kill the Multiverse Hypothesis WIRED

Rumor has it in the search for your brain, all they found was an IOU.

The Mulitiverse Theory
String theory
The Higgs boson
She doesnt "know" anything beyond ctrl+c and ctrl+v

The Mulitiverse Theory
String theory
The Higgs boson
She doesnt "know" anything beyond ctrl+c and ctrl+v

In that case, it's difficult to explain how I continue to roll you up and smoke you like a Cuban cigar.

This thread, case in point.

Forum List

Back