San Francisco's downtown just entered a new phase of its crisis as the city's most prominent shopping mall goes bust

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Got a clue for you San Francisco. Move the fucking junkies out of your city, and end the policies and programs that have attracted them there!! Once you've cleaned the shit up, people will eventually start showing up, and your office and business vacancy will begin to turn around. This isn't hard you dumbshits!!

• The Westfield mall used to be the beating retail heart of downtown San Francisco.
  • Westfield stopped paying the mortgage on the shopping mall, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.
  • Foot traffic has plunged, and the city is so expensive that some can't afford to live there anymore.

Great things are still happening in San Francisco, however. Generative AI startups are sprouting up. The hottest startup in the world, OpenAI, is headquartered there. There's a new post-COVID energy in some parts of the city. But that's at the high-end. For an urban area to truly thrive, it needs people from all walks of life to embrace the location — which has become hard for teachers, nurses, and other workers in San Francisco in recent years.

Malls are passe all around the country. I would venture to say that most cities have nearby malls that were fairly recently bustling hubs of activities but are now barely hanging on. In fact, one of the biggest real estate challenges in the country is figuring out a way to re-purpose these large buildings that still have a lot of potential years of productive use. I've heard of Community Colleges looking into using them for classrooms and labs.

San Francisco is having its problems, but the failure of a prominent mall is symptomatic of a national rejection of the mall paradigm for retailing.

Malls are passe all around the country. I would venture to say that most cities have nearby malls that were fairly recently bustling hubs of activities but are now barely hanging on. In fact, one of the biggest real estate challenges in the country is figuring out a way to re-purpose these large buildings that still have a lot of potential years of productive use. I've heard of Community Colleges looking into using them for classrooms and labs.

San Francisco is having its problems, but the failure of a prominent mall is symptomatic of a national rejection of the mall paradigm for retailing.

That is true, the indoor malls have been getting replaced by smaller outdoor strip malls for some time now.

The mall didn't just go bust. Westfield did what Hilton Hotels in San Francisco did, they announced they were walking away. They were no longer paying on the mortgage. These are loans of an incredible amount of money. Not to mention the taxes these properties generated.

Shopping habits change. "Downtown" department stores used to be where the middle-class loved to shop. Sears and Monkey-Wards used to be titans, now defunct.

Amazon was a total failure. It was created to compete with Barnes & Noble - a bookstore without bricks and mortar. Failed miserably, and shifted to becoming a clearing house for people selling their own stuff. Now it sells everything - more than anyone else. Unimaginable customer service.

SF started electing chained makup wearing homeO in the late 70s' it mushroomed to Castro parades in assless chaps to letting illegal killers go free after shooting girl in daylight on a tourist pier. Army st. To Ceaser chaves overnight in 77?

Malls are truly failing all over. The fact that down town San Fransisco is a cesspool simply exacerbated their problems.

Babylon Bee.-

San Francisco Announces That Due To Crime, It’s Moving To Texas

SAN FRANCISCO, CA — The crime surge in the Bay Area continues to lead to mass migration out of California, as skyrocketing crime rates have led the entire city of San Francisco to announce it is relocating to Texas.

"It's just not realistic to stay here," said the city itself as it broke the news. "I'm scared to walk down my own streets these days. Did you hear they're not even arresting or prosecuting people thieves anymore? I mean, come on, how ridiculous is that? I'm getting out of here and moving to Texas with the rest of the sane people"

n63U7Ur.jpg

Forum List

Back