Zone1 San Francisco Removed Algebra From Middle School In the Name Of Equity. Guess What Happened?

I have yet to read all the letters and post cards from kids in 6th and 7th grade, pining away, looking forward to taking Algebra I in eighth grade. I am positive my daughter did not. The twins probably did not and still managed to plow through math and science coursed in college. Personally, I was more the type, my parents looked over what I was signing up for and said, "Oh, heck no, boy! You're taking tough math and science courses all 4 years of high school. You can goof off on your own after age 18 if you have time".
since when did it become about you??

Topic aroused my curiosity and I found this interesting.

1701196422374.png

since when did it become about you??
Maybe you didn't explain the magnitude of the problem correctly. Was there some problem, some course you didn't get to take in your Freshman College year because you only got as far as trig and calculus in high school? I expect those students are the real minority. The problem sounds highly overblown, to me. I admit, I never really enjoyed, myself, just taking all I had to, either by parental insistence, or for required for the college degree.

Maybe you didn't explain the magnitude of the problem correctly. Was there some problem, some course you didn't get to take in your Freshman College year because you only got as far as trig and calculus in high school? I expect those students are the real minority. The problem sounds highly overblown, to me. I admit, I never really enjoyed, myself, just taking all I had to, either by parental insistence, or for required for the college degree.
still trying to make it about you I see,,

you know I have never recieved a letter from any kid that wnted to take any class let alone algebra,,

might as well close all the schools

still trying to make it about you I see,,

you know I have never recieved a letter from any kid that wnted to take any class let alone algebra,,

might as well close all the schools
They must be writing somebody, if it is that important to them. Where are the reports of students speaking out? Lord knows they speak out about everything else, even if clueless.

They must be writing somebody, if it is that important to them. Where are the reports of students speaking out? Lord knows they speak out about everything else, even if clueless.
I have no idea what youre talking about,, students dont wrie letters asking what classes they want to take,,

the question should be why now are they considering removing algebra and what did they do the 100 yrs prior to today??

could it be the educators failed to educate and its easier to drop the class than to up the level of education so we dont end up with more ignorant students,,

It's actually extremely important to the left that their supporters be dumb and incurious, so that they will believe the lies the party feeds them, such as "vaccinated people can't get covid", and "men can get pregnant". Dumb people are easier to control.
Trolls will troll.
Can you do Algebra?
That is an interesting point. I'm working on 70 and I don't think I took Algebra I until a freshman in high school either.
My school didn't offer Algebra until HS in the 1970's, but that same school NOW offers Algebra to MS students in both 7th and 8th grade, and Geometry to 8th Graders.

These 7th and 8th Graders did extremely well.
They had to test into the class through their State Test.

I have no idea what youre talking about,, students dont wrie letters asking what classes they want to take,,

the question should be why now are they considering removing algebra and what did they do the 100 yrs prior to today??

could it be the educators failed to educate and its easier to drop the class than to up the level of education so we dont end up with more ignorant students,,
Maybe somebody should have asked it. I kind of doubt it was on the 8th grade curriculum a hundred years ago, there. It definitely was not on it here.

Forum List

Back