S&W Model 60-14 "Ladysmith" in .357 Magnum

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
S&W "Ladysmith" 60-14 .357......It's one of those "yeah you can, but should you?" type of guns.

60 002 (2).JPG

60 005 (2).JPG

What makes it an "ladysmith" is the dainty combat stocks it comes with....Yeah they might be sized for a woman but they suck ass for shooting even .38 Special +P, much less .357. They would be more at home on an old J-frame using regular .38 Special fodder for the ladies.

Lucky for me I had a set of the excellent Craig Spegel designed rubber combat grips and that tamed it right down, even with .357. Still stings a bit though.

OK, then there was a holster issue.....The 60-14 has a slightly longer/wider frame (it's called the J-Magnum frame) and an 1/8" longer barrel than the old "Chief's special" and does not quite fit a J-Frame holster so I went with an open-top holster designed for a Colt Detective Special.....Perfect fit!

Unloaded the 60-14 weighs the same as a Detective Special. In fact it points a lot like a Colt DS which is a huge plus to me.

60 008 (2).JPG

more....

S&W "Ladysmith" 60-14 .357......It's one of those "yeah you can, but should you?" type of guns.

View attachment 952083

View attachment 952084

What makes it an "ladysmith" is the dainty combat stocks it comes with....Yeah they might be sized for a woman but they suck ass for shooting even .38 Special +P, much less .357. They would be more at home on an old J-frame using regular .38 Special fodder for the ladies.

Lucky for me I had a set of the excellent Craig Spegel designed rubber combat grips and that tamed it right down, even with .357. Still stings a bit though.

OK, then there was a holster issue.....The 60-14 has a slightly longer/wider frame (it's called the J-Magnum frame) and an 1/8" longer barrel than the old "Chief's special" and does not quite fit a J-Frame holster so I went with an open-top holster designed for a Colt Detective Special.....Perfect fit!

Unloaded the 60-14 weighs the same as a Detective Special. In fact it points a lot like a Colt DS which is a huge plus to me.

View attachment 952085

more....

That's right, bub. That is no ladies gun or even man's gun in 2024. I'm old and 357 snub hurts my wrist and the recoil! PLUS in 2024 dems fucked up revolvers as a tool for defense with their systemic criminal base running rampant. Summer of Love 2020 should of convinced you wheel gunners to move on.

Go with black plastic...hi cap 9mm with Underwood high penetration ammo...solid copper, fluted and platinum high tech coating. But test it out, does not work in all guns. I use 68 grain, very high velocity and penetration.

9mm-luger-p-90-grain-xtreme-defender-platinum-edition-sku-876__68990.1661973535.jpg

hellcat (1).jpg

hellcat (2).jpg

14 rounds vs 5 rounds. Less recoil and more power. Revolvers are less powerful, pound for pound than autos due to gas loss around the cylinder gap / barrel. Not a massive difference, but still measurable.

schwab time.jpg

car fwy 1.65.gif

Last edited:
Nice little gun (Lady Smith). Makes me want to set up some breakable targets (beer bottles) :) at 25+ yards and start practicing. 👍
I've never understood the whole .38 Special ladies gun thing.
They're some nasty, loud little bastards that blow fire through the sides of the cylinder. But that's why I like them.
I've never shot a Glock 17. Need to rent one one of these days.

Last edited:
That's right, bub. That is no ladies gun or even man's gun in 2024. I'm old and 357 snub hurts my wrist and the recoil! PLUS in 2024 dems fucked up revolvers as a tool for defense with their systemic criminal base running rampant. Summer of Love 2020 should of convinced you wheel gunners to move on.

Go with black plastic...hi cap 9mm with Underwood high penetration ammo...solid copper, fluted and platinum high tech coating. But test it out, does not work in all guns. I use 68 grain, very high velocity and penetration.

9mm-luger-p-90-grain-xtreme-defender-platinum-edition-sku-876__68990.1661973535.jpg

View attachment 952104

View attachment 952105

14 rounds vs 5 rounds. Less recoil and more power. Revolvers are less powerful, pound for pound than autos due to gas loss around the cylinder gap / barrel. Not a massive difference, but still measurable.

View attachment 952106

View attachment 952107
LOL....You are all up on your high horse with a fuckin' top-heavy SA.....Bitch please. :laughing0301:

If I want to go "fantastic plastic" I have a couple of G-19s for that but I prefer an steel CZ-75.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back