S.F. is spending $1.7 million on one public toilet

Drop Dead Fred

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2020
San Francisco is spending $1.7 million on one public toilet. It will be built by union labor, and won't be finished until 2025. But the workers' benefits are very, very, very good!

October 19, 2022

The toilet is projected to cost $1.7 million...

And it won’t be ready for use until 2025....

The bathroom will be built by unions whose workers will “earn a living wage and benefits, including paid sick time, leave and training.”

“While this isn’t the cheapest way to build, it reflects San Francisco’s values,” the statement read.

I really like this part from the article:
“It’s important to note that public projects and their overall cost estimates don’t just reflect the price of erecting structures,” the statement said. “They include planning, drawing, permits, reviews and public outreach.”

For a toilet? Apparently so.

An architect will draw plans for the bathroom that the city will share with the community for feedback. It will also head to the Arts Commission’s Civic Design Review committee comprised of two architects, a landscape architect and two other design professionals who, under city charter, “conduct a multi-phase review” of all city projects on public land — ranging from buildings to bathrooms to historic plaques, fences and lamps.

The web-page describing that process states the point is to ensure “that each project’s design is appropriate to its context in the urban environment, and that structures of the highest design quality reflect their civic stature.”
WTF is "public outreach" for a toilet?

Do they have to train citizens of SF on how to not shit on the sidewalk?

I guess payoffs in graft, political contributions and embezzlement are the biggest line items here.

After all, according to the article linked, the plumbing is already completed here for this facility. When I contracted to get a new bathroom in my home years ago, the cost of installing the plumbing was the lion's part of the bill.

The craziest thing about this, is that right after this facility is finally open in 2028- 3 years late and $4 million over budget - within 48 hours after its opened up someone will clog the toilet and it will be closed for 6 months for repairs.

“It’s important to note that public projects and their overall cost estimates don’t just reflect the price of erecting structures,” the statement said. “They include planning, drawing, permits, reviews and public outreach.”

An architect will draw plans for the bathroom that the city will share with the community for feedback. It will also head to the Arts Commission’s Civic Design Review committee comprised of two architects, a landscape architect and two other design professionals who, under city charter, “conduct a multi-phase review” of all city projects on public land — ranging from buildings to bathrooms to historic plaques, fences and lamps.

The web-page describing that process states the point is to ensure “that each project’s design is appropriate to its context in the urban environment, and that structures of the highest design quality reflect their civic stature.”
Put a porta potty on the sidewalk and call it a day. Jeez. How hard can it be?

WOW !! THE ARTS COMMISSION got involved. I'm impressed. Maybe that exquisite design and ornamentation will draw attention from the vagrants still peeing and poouing ins the streets and sidewalks. After all -- the same inept juvenile city leaders ended up hiring "poo patrol" janitors at $180,000 per year. What a cost savings huh?

The price comes in JUST below the toilets on the Space Station and JUST ABOVE the cost of toilets on C130s. GREAT JOB SanFran. Glad I'm not there anymore.

San Francisco is spending $1.7 million on one public toilet. It will be built by union labor, and won't be finished until 2025. But the workers' benefits are very, very, very good!

October 19, 2022

The toilet is projected to cost $1.7 million...

And it won’t be ready for use until 2025....

The bathroom will be built by unions whose workers will “earn a living wage and benefits, including paid sick time, leave and training.”

“While this isn’t the cheapest way to build, it reflects San Francisco’s values,” the statement read.
An outhouse can be built in a couple of hours ... people are already crapping on the sidewalks in SF. An outhouse would be a step up. Just saying...

Forum List

Back