Zone1 Russian EMP capabilities......why aren't we taking this seriously?

I did. I see this as unfounded fear mongering over something that isn't proven to be a threat.

Oh it's a threat alright. Just because it hasn't been used yet doesn't mean it isn't a threat.

I just heard about this from a relative who was watching a podcast called "Valuetainment." The host interviewed the author of this paper............why aren't we taking this seriously, and do you think that the current administration would be willing to launch nuclear weapons in retaliation for an HEMP strike?

HEMP—The Ultimate Cyberweapon
Any nuclear weapon detonated in outer space, 30 kilometers or higher, will generate a high-altitude electromagnetic pulse (HEMP). No blast, thermal, fallout or effects other than HEMP are experienced in the atmosphere and on the ground. A nuclear detonation at 30 kilometers altitude will generate a HEMP field with a radius on the ground of 600 kilometers, damaging all kinds of electronics, blacking-out electric grids and collapsing other life-sustaining critical infrastructures.

Detonated at 400 kilometers altitude, the radius of the HEMP field will be about 2,200 kilometers, large enough to cover most of North America.11

Russia has what they term “Super-EMP” weapons, nuclear warheads specialized for HEMP attack. Super-EMP warheads have very low explosive yield (10 kilotons or less) but very high gamma yield, which is what generates HEMP. According to Russian military and technical sources, Super-EMP weapons can generate HEMP fields of 100,000 volts/meter or higher, greatly exceeding the U.S. military hardening standard for HEMP (50,000 volts/meter).12
Russian military doctrine, because HEMP attacks electronics, categorizes nuclear HEMP attack as a dimension of Information Warfare, Electronic Warfare and Cyber Warfare, which are modes of warfare operating within the electromagnetic spectrum.13

------------

Russian and Chinese military doctrine also advocates a revolutionary new way of warfare rendering obsolete traditional military power by relying on cyber-attacks, sabotage, and EMP to
collapse adversary electric grids and life-sustaining critical infrastructures, thereby achieving victory.53
Russian cyber-attacks against U.S. and allied electric grids are the “edge of the wedge” for this new way of warfare that could culminate in unleashing of a VOSTOK-18 for real—or make VOSTOK-18 unnecessary for global conquest.
As noted earlier, in July 2018, two months before VOSTOK-18, the Department of Homeland Security revealed Russian cyber-weapons Dragonfly and Energetic Bear penetrated hundreds of U.S. electric utilities and could cause a nationwide blackout.54
---------

Non-Nuclear EMP Weapons (NNEMP)

Russia probably remains the world’s leader in Non-Nuclear EMP (NNEMP) weapons, more commonly called Radio-Frequency Weapons (RFWs), which have been the focus of “intense effort aimed at the development of high-power microwave and millimeter-wave sources for radio frequency weapons” since the Cold War, to the continuing alarm of the Department of Defense.62
Russia apparently has developed and deployed NNEMP weapons significantly more powerful and with longer range than any other nation. Russian military and technical sources often describe their NNEMP weapons as having ranges of 10-20 kilometers or more, while Western NNEMP weapons rarely have a range exceeding 1 kilometer in radius.63
For example, according to a Sputnik article “Russia’s Electromagnetic Weapons Could Be ‘More Efficient Than Nuclear Weapons’”:
--“Russia is developing radio-electronic weapons, which use powerful UHF impulse capable of destroying all electronic equipment miles away and even changing the course of a war.”
--“The unique radio-electronic weapons based on new physical principles, which were successfully tested in Russia last fall, use mobile electromagnetic emitters to disable missile warheads and onboard aircraft electronics miles away.”
-----------

Relatively small numbers of NNEMP cruise missiles or drones—perhaps only one capable of protracted flight—could inflict a long nationwide blackout. Reportedly, according to a classified study by the U.S. Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, disabling just 9 of 2,000 U.S. EHV transformer substations could cause cascading failures that would crash the North American power grid.67

Imagine an attack on the first day of winter here in the U.S.......cold, starvation, lack of water would destroy us....right?
As long as Walmart is open...all good. There wont be crowds. Most of Merrika will succumb to suicide due to loss of Farcebook,Netfukk and inability to make them thar bird noises TWEET.
Fentanyl will be plentiful. Mexicanz can handle no vehicles and no electric. No hay problemas mae.

If it weren't for the situations that Joe Biden and his son Hunter were dabbling in together while Hunter was in the Ukraine (otherwise Hunter being the pivot man it appears), then I would definitely be cheering Ukraine on against Russia's aggressive action's, wherefore I'm guessing that these are action's that were brought about in order to bring Ukraine back into the fold of Russia's sphere of influence within the region again, but I'm only guessing.

You see for me I'm an humanitarian, otherwise that is worried about the war taking Innocent live's by the hundred's of thousands's on either side of course, and this is me being over the politics of it all (i.e.the focusing on the who is right and the who is wrong at the government level's), and so I'm thinking more about the negotiations of peace instead of the sending of more bullet's into the situation, and therefore causing escalation to get way out of control, and without regards of it getting way out of control.

The building up of the character now known as Zelensky, may have put us into a position with him that encourages war instead of working to try and end the war through peaceful means now. But who knows the correct answers anymore?? I don't.

We best hope this thing isn't metastasising into something that engulfs the entire world because of our screwed up situation or thinking on it here..
I mean who would have ever thought that our leader would be Joe Biden who had big trouble in Ukraine, and yet is now residing over the horrendous situation there, and worse with some very shady character's in play on top of that ??

Character's that are putting our national security at great risk by going up against a (once upon a time, and not so long ago), "asleep" Nuclear armed powerful nation that is now learning as it speeds towards escalation, and for what ? Joe Biden and his crew ??

Let's hope we are wrong about it all, and that Joe Biden might actually be right about the direction he has taken us into.

Let's hope for our sake, and for Ukraines innocent citizen's sake that we know what we are doing.

Let's hope and pray. 🙏
Stop being a tankie.

You people do not seem to understand that that the use of any nukes, whether for EMP or not, and would cause us to respond with an all-out nuclear attack on Russia. That means they would respond. You won't have to worry about not having heat, electricity or any other convenience after you are already incinerated in the Russian response or trying to survive the radiation and nuclear winter which will likely happen.
Ok, so we should keep sending weapon's to kill Russian's who are in a beef with their former Soviet state partner "Ukraine" on it's border, otherwise a former Soviet state that is just across the border from Russia ??

Didn't we get highly upset when we found that Russian missiles were brought into Cuba, therefore causing a nuclear show down ?? So what should Russia think about NATO being in the region, and now helping to fuel the war effort in Ukraine against it ??

At what point does it escalate out of control ?

You see here's the deal, when ever weapon's were supplied or used to help another country at any given time in history, more than likely that country was in a neutral zone far away from the land borders of those who were lending their help.

In these long distances a country could be helped without for example Russia ever being provoked into wanting to kill Americans just for helping another or vice-versa (Vietnam for example).

American's and the soviets had interest in that region, but the American war machine proved itself in that war as a combat fighting force who was winning against Russian supplied weapon's to the Vietcong.

We then lost the war for various reason's, but it wasn't on the fields of battle where we lost it. It was in the smoke filled rooms of the elite's.

Escalation doesn't happen because neither feel directly threatened when it's far away from each other's border's. It happens when one's borders are directly threatened.

Ukraine is a special situation it seems, otherwise so special that it's got the entire world doing things that it hasn't done since world war two.

In summary - Get to close to each other's border's, and the situation gets real peculiar and highly contentious.

Hope the world knows what it's doing.

The main problem is it blows out the relays ......which are not easily replaced in the time it would take to run out of food and heat, in the winter.......the expert was on a podcast Valuetainment and explained that a powerful Russian General was pushing putin to use the EMP weapons in their arsenal against Ukraine, and then NATO countries.....since it doesn't acctually kill....not directly, but shutting off the power that would kill anyone reliant on electricity in hospitals or for the things you need in the middle of winter......that it wouldn't allow NATO or the U.S. to use Nukes in retaliation.........

I think this is the podcast my family member watched.........don't watch it if you don't want to get irritated or depressed.....

It's an interesting subject, no doubt. I'm listening to that video now.

The thing is though, the nuclear version of that, detonating a bomb very high up, might still cause a nuclear response.

Also, doing something like that above Ukraine would likely affect parts of Russia as well. And parts of Ukraine don't have electricity at the moment anyway.

The non-nuclear version is more likely to be used at one point.

I'm thinking this type of thing will be commonly used in warfare in the future, not necessarily very near future, but at some point.

It's an interesting subject, no doubt. I'm listening to that video now.

The thing is though, the nuclear version of that, detonating a bomb very high up, might still cause a nuclear response.

Also, doing something like that above Ukraine would likely affect parts of Russia as well. And parts of Ukraine don't have electricity at the moment anyway.

The non-nuclear version is more likely to be used at one point.

I'm thinking this type of thing will be commonly used in warfare in the future, not necessarily very near future, but at some point.
The question remains... is an empire willing to leverage a domestic destructive event; on. Account of a regional "traggedey"?

Yes it does, and just as it has proven in the situation, wherefore it will not challenge Russia's invasion head on in order to stop it, but why ?? It's because it doesn't want to get into a nuclear exchange with a nation that is ready to martyr itself for a cause that has become so important to it now. Push a rabid coon into a corner while it still has it's teeth and claws, then one best be ready for anything to come as a result of doing that. It ain't rocket science, oh wait maybe it will be if the world isn't careful. 🤔

Not sure what the answers are at this point. Let's hope that we have greater mind's in control, and not lying pandering corrupt knucklehead's making the calls from behind the podium. That alone is another bad situation that could easily cause escalation, otherwise if another has basically no respect for a leadership that is making rattling noises from what is supposed to be a position of respect and righteous judgement, otherwise when making calls from the position given him, then God help us all.

The main error here is the assumption we hav to respond to nuclear threats with our own nukes. that is a false premise, we have passed the stage where our options are that limited. Just because Putin runs his mouth doesn't mean anything, despite all the hand wringing and bed wetting. And nobody is going to side with that psycho, so the 'WW III' hysteria is also just dumb.

The question remains... is an empire willing to leverage a domestic destructive event; on. Account of a regional "traggedey"?
No comprendo. If you could be more specific, it might make more sense, even despite the non-standard spelling and punctuation.

Relatively small numbers of NNEMP cruise missiles or drones—perhaps only one capable of protracted flight—could inflict a long nationwide blackout.

Actually, not. EMP weapons have a very small footprint. The inverse square law causes the propagation of the EMP pulse to degrade quickly from the point of detonation.

EMP weapons that aren't nuclear are large and not easily adapted to drones.

Those that are nuclear well ... let's just say that if one does go off in your neighborhood, losing your electricity won't be on the top of your problem list.

The main error here is the assumption we hav to respond to nuclear threats with our own nukes. that is a false premise, we have passed the stage where our options are that limited. Just because Putin runs his mouth doesn't mean anything, despite all the hand wringing and bed wetting. And nobody is going to side with that psycho, so the 'WW III' hysteria is also just dumb.
Let's hope you are right.

Actually, not. EMP weapons have a very small footprint. The inverse square law causes the propagation of the EMP pulse to degrade quickly from the point of detonation.

EMP weapons that aren't nuclear are large and not easily adapted to drones.

Those that are nuclear well ... let's just say that if one does go off in your neighborhood, losing your electricity won't be on the top of your problem list.

Lasers work at the speed of light in atmosphere. EMP is quickly becoming too old school, and besides, its relatively easy to shield against..

Lasers work at the speed of light in atmosphere.

Slightly slower than the speed of light. Focault discovered that lightspeed is slowed in air, water and glass back in 1850. Speed of light is only C in a vacuum.

As for EMP, electromagnetic waves (of which laser light is a type) also travel at the speed of light in a vacuum.

Unfortunately you are correct... We haven't seen success in war since world war one and world war two.
Are those the wars America came in late and believe they won it for all the allies? Has America ever won a war? Even 1776 was down to the French.

As for Russia, they're probably escalate it's weapons if countries physically join Ukraine.

Forum List

Back