Rope (1948) - Hitchcock

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
No one has ever, or perhaps ever will, be able to make a movie so cheaply - but yet still very good as Alfred Hitchcock.
Again, only a small handful of characters, again the entire movie in one location... almost in one room.
But still a solid movie.
The one thing that is very true however - they had no idea how to make trailers back then!!

No one has ever, or perhaps ever will, be able to make a movie so cheaply - but yet still very good as Alfred Hitchcock.
Again, only a small handful of characters, again the entire movie in one location... almost in one room.
But still a solid movie.
The one thing that is very true however - they had no idea how to make trailers back then!!

They knew quite well how to make trailers. The problem was as you pointed the story takes place almost entirely in one room. There was some drama but not much action nor romance which are key elements in making trailers that grab the public's attention. The movie is based on the Leopold And Loeb case, "The Crime of Century" in which a 14 year old boy was murdered in 1924

Since it's been 50 years since I saw the movie I don't remember it that well. It was not one of my favorite Hitchcock movies.

They knew quite well how to make trailers. The problem was as you pointed the story takes place almost entirely in one room. There was some drama but not much action nor romance which are key elements in making trailers that grab the public's attention. The movie is based on the Leopold And Loeb case, "The Crime of Century" in which a 14 year old boy was murdered in 1924

Since it's been 50 years since I saw the movie I don't remember it that well. It was not one of my favorite Hitchcock movies.
Oh it is clearly not his best, but Hitchcock's mediocre is better than the best of some others.

Oh it is clearly not his best, but Hitchcock's mediocre is better than the best of some others.
I agree. Saw a documentary about how Hitchcock directs his movies. The shocking thing about the man is he does not direct movies in a manner you would expect. Hitch claim's "My job is to say action and cut. I rarely stop the action. I never coach my actors. They know exactly how I want every scene played."

It's been said that Hitchcock spend half as much time shooting as other directors but spends twice as much time planning each scene.

But still a solid movie.

I actually just watched that movie tonight. I love all Hitchcock's films.

I actually just watched that movie tonight. I love all Hitchcock's films.
Although not a favorite it was a good Hitchcock movie. There are many good Hitch films made in the 40's. I liked Spellbound the best but also Suspicion, and Foreign Correspondent.

Rope was a groundbreaking film experiment in innovative recording techniques, including stitching together long takes to make it appear as four long shots in real time. The film was shot in mainly seven-to-ten-minute continuous takes, which was the physical limit of film stock at the time. It had the appearance of a one act play. Hitchcock also used Technicolor for the first time and used it to denote the change in time of day from sunset to darkness, which was important to the story. It also is notable because this is first collaboration between Hitchcock and Jimmy Stewart who became one his favorite actors in his films.

Although not a favorite it was a good Hitchcock movie. There are many good Hitch films made in the 40's. I liked Spellbound the best but also Suspicion, and Foreign Correspondent.

Rope was a groundbreaking film experiment in innovative recording techniques, including stitching together long takes to make it appear as four long shots in real time. The film was shot in mainly seven-to-ten-minute continuous takes, which was the physical limit of film stock at the time. It had the appearance of a one act play. Hitchcock also used Technicolor for the first time and used it to denote the change in time of day from sunset to darkness, which was important to the story. It also is notable because this is first collaboration between Hitchcock and Jimmy Stewart who became one his favorite actors in his films.
If you also notice, between different scenes the clouds would move to the right. In other words, the background might have 3 clouds, as the scene went when it would switch back to the camera, the clouds would all move to the right, but they were stationary no matter how long a shot was static

If you also notice, between different scenes the clouds would move to the right. In other words, the background might have 3 clouds, as the scene went when it would switch back to the camera, the clouds would all move to the right, but they were stationary no matter how long a shot was static
That's interesting. I'll have to look at it.

Forum List

Back