Ronald Reagan's Birthday and the Myth of Reagan

The left will forever be butthurt over Reagan's popularity, and frustrated that most Americans fondly remember Reagan.

Reagan is no myth. Reagan is legend and the standard by which all modern presidents are judged. Rightfully so.

Reagans place in history has started to drop as his legend has unraveled and the lasting impacts of his policies have been realized

Well, I don't think he was going to remain top 3, but that's neither here nor there. He did break with those who thought the Soviet economy was even marginally functional. The common wisdom is the CIA failed to see how bad the Soviets were economically, but that's not totally true. We knew it was bad, but ... how bad? Reagan went all out for "really bad," and he was right. He ushered in the new day of "We win, they lose."

His and Thatcher's economic view has run it's course. Supply side ain't working. He blew up the deficit, and the middle class slowly bled till today when it's a hemorrhage. The total world wealth is hugely increased. But, not so much for the benefit of mankind.

I thought then, and still think, he was a great leader. We thought Vietnam was something to be ashamed for. We failed, but it was a idealist effort to stem communism, which no one should have been ashamed of. He reminded us of what JFK said that we didn't need a wall to keep people in, and we still are a shining hill.

I couldn't vote for him though. I knew the budget wasn't balancing with the tax cuts and spending.

Reagan is no myth. Reagan is legend and the standard by which all modern presidents are judged. Rightfully so.

Reagans place in history has started to drop as his legend has unraveled and the lasting impacts of his policies have been realized

Well, I don't think he was going to remain top 3, but that's neither here nor there. He did break with those who thought the Soviet economy was even marginally functional. The common wisdom is the CIA failed to see how bad the Soviets were economically, but that's not totally true. We knew it was bad, but ... how bad? Reagan went all out for "really bad," and he was right. He ushered in the new day of "We win, they lose."

His and Thatcher's economic view has run it's course. Supply side ain't working. He blew up the deficit, and the middle class slowly bled till today when it's a hemorrhage. The total world wealth is hugely increased. But, not so much for the benefit of mankind.

I thought then, and still think, he was a great leader. We thought Vietnam was something to be ashamed for. We failed, but it was a idealist effort to stem communism, which no one should have been ashamed of. He reminded us of what JFK said that we didn't need a wall to keep people in, and we still are a shining hill.

I couldn't vote for him though. I knew the budget wasn't balancing with the tax cuts and spending.

I voted for Reagan twice and still respect the man. He revitalized a nation that was starting to doubt itself and reminded us that we were a great nation

I think he played his role in the fall of the Soviet empire exactly as it should have been played giving Gorby support and not exploiting the situation

I think the impacts of his supply side/trickle down policies are starting to be felt as they have destroyed the middle class and exploded our national debt

I voted for Reagan twice and still respect the man. He revitalized a nation that was starting to doubt itself and reminded us that we were a great nation

I think he played his role in the fall of the Soviet empire exactly as it should have been played giving Gorby support and not exploiting the situation

I think the impacts of his supply side/trickle down policies are starting to be felt as they have destroyed the middle class and exploded our national debt
yeah. I voted for BushI THREE times, and Anderson. I sat out 84. I sorta wish I could say I did vote for him.

I give him a pass on the crushing of the middle class. It wasn't really apparent until after his terms. And he didn't support gutting education just to gut it and give the 1% a break. He generally said he didn't worry about the rich too much, because they were doing fine without him. He was against giving people something for nothing and having the federal govt hand out stuff for free.

Grover Norquist is FOS. Reagan didn't hate govt. He was two time governor and head of a labor union. His economic view of neoliberalism is not that the govt has no role in markets. It's that govts' role to make sure markets are free and transparent.

Those people who engage in the warrior myth don't do his legacy any favors. And neither do those who coopted his econ and social beliefs to push their own corruption. One thing that can always be said about Reagan is that he was never corrupt.

FFS, Reagan left office 27 years ago. The Bushes, Clinton and especially Obama are far more responsible today's economic problems.

Without Reagan, we would still be fighting the Soviets. If you could go back in time, would you take on chance on ANY other president who may or may not have taken the hard steps to weaken the Soviet Union to the point of collapse? That is all that matters.

More reason to implement a US holiday honoring President Yeltzin than Reagan. Look it up if ya don't get it, I'm not being paid to educate YOU. :)

Yeltsin came to power only as a consequence of the pressure Reagan applied.
Too funny.

By comparison the neatest thing Reagan ever did was mention aliens in a speech. :)

Reagan forced the Soviets to commit too many resources to their military and nukes which was what bankrupted them and caused the internal transformation.

That had happened long before Reagan took office

Might as well thank Ike

Of course, collapse doesn't happen in only 8 years, but the critical part is at the end.
lol

FFS, Reagan left office 27 years ago. The Bushes, Clinton and especially Obama are far more responsible today's economic problems.

We are talking about Reagan and have had the time to understand the real impact of his policies

It was Reagan who totally revamped our tax structure and it is for the most part the tax structure we have today. His promises of trickle down did not pan out and created a redistribution of wealth that we still bear today

Nah, can't let that go. Since Reagan it's economic heresy to suggest taxing for social benefit. The deficits are structural because of his policies. "Starve the beast." The beast don't starve cause people like soc sec and ..... Reagan raised taxes .. over and over. It's just that supply side emphasized supply over demand/wages.

The reason the middle class is nearly toast is that we taxed the more wealthy and didn't have high tuition and student loans. The real price of stuff was higher, but wages were higher too. We reward high profits and cheap labor, where before it was the opposite.

Without Reagan, we would still be fighting the Soviets. If you could go back in time, would you take on chance on ANY other president who may or may not have taken the hard steps to weaken the Soviet Union to the point of collapse? That is all that matters.

More reason to implement a US holiday honoring President Yeltzin than Reagan. Look it up if ya don't get it, I'm not being paid to educate YOU. :)

Yeltsin came to power only as a consequence of the pressure Reagan applied.
Too funny.

You can look at it that way. :)

We are talking about Reagan and have had the time to understand the real impact of his policies

It was Reagan who totally revamped our tax structure and it is for the most part the tax structure we have today. His promises of trickle down did not pan out and created a redistribution of wealth that we still bear today
So what? 27 years is a long time, most of which we've had Democratic rule. Reagan left an economy of almost uninterrupted economic growth for 2 decades. It's way too late to point fingers at Reagan.

So what? 27 years is a long time, most of which we've had Democratic rule. Reagan left an economy of almost uninterrupted economic growth for 2 decades. It's way too late to point fingers at Reagan.

Actually, the Reagan economy was build on a mountain of debt. Worked as long as you were willing to pump money into it

AFDA6AF8A426D69C75605D63717EEC34.gif

Try "a brief history of neoliberalism" by a dude named Harvey.

Butthurt is no laughing matter, we get it. Still it's funny!

It seems the folks are discounting the fact that Reagan worked with a Democratic Congress, who share the accolades and failures of the Reagan Administration.
"27 years is a long time, most of which we've had Democratic rule." That'd be true if we didn't have separate branches of government. All totaled it's a wash. 15 years of Democratic presidents, 12 years of GOP presidents. Congress, we have had 15 years of the GOP and 12 years of Democrats.

Actually, the Reagan economy was build on a mountain of debt. Worked as long as you were willing to pump money into it

AFDA6AF8A426D69C75605D63717EEC34.gif

Nice link. And that's the thing. Reagan gave license for deficits. Before Reagan, they were politically verboten. LBJ got more criticism for his deficit that he got for the policies of the great society and Vietnam. And worse, beginning with W, deficits were no longer punished by the fed reserve with high interest rates based on fears of inflation.

Cheney "deficits don't matter, Reagan taught us that."

Butthurt is no laughing matter, we get it. Still it's funny!
I accept the fact that you're proud of your ignorance.

It seems the folks are discounting the fact that Reagan worked with a Democratic Congress, who share the accolades and failures of the Reagan Administration.
"27 years is a long time, most of which we've had Democratic rule." That'd be true if we didn't have separate branches of government. All totaled it's a wash. 15 years of Democratic presidents, 12 years of GOP presidents. Congress, we have had 15 years of the GOP and 12 years of Democrats.
No, we've had 18 years of Dem control of the Senate and 12 in the House, plus 15 in the White House since Reagan left. Don't tell me there wasn't the opportunity for Democrats to save the middle class, please!

Forum List

Back