Riddles

It’s not.
Well,I had the mathematical solution

(RandomPoster : dont make it so hard in yourself! Just start with only one teaspoon of liquid in each glass. ;) )

BUT

You moved a teaspoon of liquid from the first glass. Then, you only moved a teaspoon from the second glass. Not a teaspoon of liquid. Just the spoon itself.

So, an alternative, correct answer would be that the water glass has more apple juice than the apple juice has water.

Hey, don't blame me. Blame all the people posting semantics riddles. ;)

Which came first, the supermarket, the truck, the farm, the chicken or the egg the chicken hatched from.
Well, that depends. In what year did the chicken hatch?

I don't think posing riddles is a strong suit for you. Maybe you should just stop for now and try to tackle one of the riddles that has already been posted.
You have a glass of apple juice and a glass of water. You take a teaspoon of the apple juice and mix it into the water. Then you take a teaspoon from the water glass and mix it into the apple juice glass.

Which has more of the other liquid in it? Does the apple juice glass have more water in it or does the water glass have more apple juice in it?

Ignore the fact that the apple juice contains water for this thought experiment.

I believe they would both have the same.

Let's say they were large glasses with 100 teaspoons in each. At the end, the apple juice would contain 99 + 1/101 teaspoons of apple juice and 100/101 teaspoons of water. The glass of water would contain 99 + 1/101 teaspoons of water and 100/101 teaspoons of apple juice.
That is correct. Well done.

That’s a very nice material balance.

What if the glasses did not contain the same starting volumes? What would the answer be then?

I believe the same. I am running the numbers to verify, except is looking that way for now.

Last edited:
Which came first, the supermarket, the truck, the farm, the chicken or the egg the chicken hatched from.
Well, that depends. In what year did the chicken hatch?

I don't think posing riddles is a strong suit for you. Maybe you should just stop for now and try to tackle one of the riddles that has already been posted.
You have a glass of apple juice and a glass of water. You take a teaspoon of the apple juice and mix it into the water. Then you take a teaspoon from the water glass and mix it into the apple juice glass.

Which has more of the other liquid in it? Does the apple juice glass have more water in it or does the water glass have more apple juice in it?

Ignore the fact that the apple juice contains water for this thought experiment.

I believe they would both have the same.

Let's say they were large glasses with 100 teaspoons in each. At the end, the apple juice would contain 99 + 1/101 teaspoons of apple juice and 100/101 teaspoons of water. The glass of water would contain 99 + 1/101 teaspoons of water and 100/101 teaspoons of apple juice.
That is correct. Well done.

That’s a very nice material balance.

What if the glasses did not contain the same starting volumes? What would the answer be then?

I believe the same. I am running the numbers to verify, except is looking that why for now.
Ok, I’ll wait for your final answer before commenting.

It’s not.
Well,I had the mathematical solution

(RandomPoster : dont make it so hard in yourself! Just start with only one teaspoon of liquid in each glass. ;) )

BUT

You moved a teaspoon of liquid from the first glass. Then, you only moved a teaspoon from the second glass. Not a teaspoon of liquid. Just the spoon itself.

So, an alternative, correct answer would be that the water glass has more apple juice than the apple juice has water.

Hey, don't blame me. Blame all the people posting semantics riddles. ;)

I started with 0 and 1, then 1 and 2, then 2 and 3, etc. to see if it holds. It appears to. I wrote a quick function and ran variations of it.

No, that is incorrect. There are, in fact, four permutations of two children and two genders, not three. There are three combinations. But four permutations.

BB
BG
GB
GG

...all equally likely. As you can see, the probability of having one girl and one boy is 50%, if you have two children. But, given we have at least one girl, our sample space has been reduced to three permutations.

BG
GB
GG

...all equally likely. Now that we know at least one is a girl, the probability that there is one girl and one boy is 2/3.

1/3 is correct.

But you are correct that the "turned the card to your left" messes with the answer and makes it 50%, in scenarios 3 and 4 . But, this is for a slightly different (yet also similar) reason than the answers to 1 and 2 being 50%.

I should have said, "I tell you at least one card is red". Then, the odds both are red are 1/3. This would have made scenarios 3 and 4 analogous to rhe sibling riddle, which was my original intent.

But you are correct that the "you meet a girl" messes with the answer and makes it 50%.

Glad to clear up your confusion.

When good people think of her they give her money. People in California, New York, Ohio, Missouri, even Canada, England, Germany, France. People all over the world will give her money, yet she always seems to be needy,.... and yet giving her more always seems to be a good idea!

Whats her name?

When good people think of her they give her money. People in California, New York, Ohio, Missouri, even Canada, England, Germany, France. People all over the world will give her money, yet she always seems to be needy,.... and yet giving her more always seems to be a good idea!

Whats her name?
Hmmm

But you are correct that the "turned the card to your left" messes with the answer and makes it 50%, in scenarios 3 and 4 . But, this is for a slightly different (yet also similar) reason than the answers to 1 and 2 being 50%.

I should have said, "I tell you at least one card is red". Then, the odds both are red are 1/3. This would have made scenarios 3 and 4 analogous to rhe sibling riddle, which was my original intent.

But you are correct that the "you meet a girl" messes with the answer and makes it 50%.

Glad to clear up your confusion.
I agree. Fort Fun is assuming all permutations have the same probability.

He solved the following problem: If at least one sibling is a girl, what is the probability the other is a girl.
Ans. The BB combination probability is zero, the other three are equal. Therefore the answer is 1/3.

However, the riddle: "You meet a girl ..." is a different riddle. Both the BB and BG probabilities are zero because he gave prior knowledge that a specific one, the one you meet is a girl. Therefore the two remaining equal possibilities give 1/2 as the answer.

I agree. Fort Fun is assuming all permutations have the same probability.

He solved the following problem: If at least one sibling is a girl, what is the probability the other is a girl.
Ans. The BB combination probability is zero, the other three are equal. Therefore the answer is 1/3.

However, the riddle: "You meet a girl ..." is a different riddle. Both the BB and BG probabilities are zero because he gave prior knowledge that a specific one, the one you meet is a girl. Therefore the two remaining equal possibilities give 1/2 as the answer.

There aren't four possible combinations.

There aren't four possible combinations.
You are absolutely right. I was presenting the problem the way Fort Fun did. If he starts by listing all four permutations, he might have considered the probabilities. But I agree that generality isn't necessary for the problem he presented.

The main problem is that he didn't use his own premise, that the first person was G, and all first persons that were B should have been discarded.

Forum List

Back