Riddles

Well, if G2 already met me,
Sorry, you dont have that much info, either. As has been explained. You are stuck on the same error since square one.

Sorry Todd, all the information you need to learn that you are wrong is already in the thread. You will have to just live with being wrong. I'm not going to respond further to you regardiing the first riddle.

Try out the dice riddle. See if you can arrive at the correct answer.

Try out the dice riddle. See if you can arrive at the correct answer.

If I roll two dice in a cup and look at them and tell you at least one is a 6 (thus "giving" you the information that one die shows 6), what are the odds the dice total 7? You have to count permutations.

The odds are 11:2. Do you know why?

I roll two dice in a cup. I pull one out, it is a 6.
What are the odds the other is a 6?

Anyone else?

upload_2019-12-14_15-31-50.png

One other sibling. Two possibilities.

I kind of like this one.

A woman who is sitting on a red couch has an adopted sibling who is sitting on a green couch. What are the odds the sibling is a female? 1 out of 2
A woman who is sitting on a red couch has an adopted sibling who is sitting on a red couch. What are the odds the sibling is a female? 1 out of 3

I kind of like this one.

A woman who is sitting on a red couch has an adopted sibling who is sitting on a green couch. What are the odds the sibling is a female? 1 out of 2
A woman who is sitting on a red couch has an adopted sibling who is sitting on a red couch. What are the odds the sibling is a female? 1 out of 3
Ha! What you are demonstrating is actually very important. There are many different ways that the sibling choice can become "ordered". Age, which door was opened first, the color of the couch, for example. All have the same effect.

I kind of like this one.

Ha! What you are demonstrating is actually very important. There are many different ways that the sibling choice can become "ordered". Age, which door was opened first, the color of the couch, for example. All have the same effect.

Of course you have to be careful not to specify anything that could affect the likelihood of gender, such as height, weight, hair color (girls tend to have lighter hair), getting braces, losing an eye in a childhood accident (on account of boys being more likely to engage in dangerous behavior) etc.

Last edited:
Actually, the odds of the original question are 33.858 percent when you factor in the likelihood of adoption when calculating the likelihood of the sibling being an identical twin. .8 percent of births are identical twins
I kind of like this one.

Of course you have to be careful not to specify anything that could affect the likelihood of gender, such as height, weight, hair color (girls tend to have lighter hair), getting braces, losing an eye in a childhood accident (on account of boys being more likely to engage in dangerous behavior) etc.
Right, but it is assumed that the probability of getting a girl or boy at each birth or adoption event is 50% each. I felt it extraneous to state this, but i clarified later. Similarly, I have occassionally included "infinite deck" in the card problems.

Actually, the odds of the original question are 33.858 percent when you factor in the likelihood of adoption when calculating the likelihood of the sibling being an identical twin. .8 percent of births are identical twins
I kind of like this one.

Right, but it is assumed that the probability of getting a girl or boy at each birth or adoption event is 50% each. I felt it extraneous to state this, but i clarified later. Similarly, I have occassionally included "infinite deck" in the card problems.

I believe you are correct about the adoption not affecting things unless you factor in the microscopic likelihood of a child having an identical twin who died and was replaced by an adopted sibling possibly lowering the percentage chance of the child having a living sibling who is an identical twin from .8% to slightly less, which would require at a minimum knowing the child's age and nationality among any number of other factors.

Assume all dogs are either white, brown, or black, with equal probability of each at each birth, regardless of the color of the parents.

The odds of all 3 puppies in a litter being white are 27:1.

Someone hands you a white puppy. You are asked what the odds are that his two littermates are also both white.

Answer: 19:1

This time, instead, you go into a pet store and see three occupied cages with dogs hiding under blankets. You pick one at random, and out from under the blanket comes a white puppy. What are the odds that the other two puppies are both also white?

9:1

Last edited:
you need to take a class in probability, kid.
Actually, i helped teach them....kid. And,unlike the other classes I helped teach or took myself, these subjects were the only ones wherein students would continue to insist they were correct, despite being shown and told they were wrong by both the textbooks and the professors and the assistant professors. I did not see this phenomenon in the other math subjects, at least to the same degree or with the same fervor.

I remember one poor kid in my office threatening to take his case to the faculty council. I offered to buy him lunch and drive him there. It was over a similar counting problem that caused him to get a poor test grade. His fundamental error was similar to the one being made by those who are getting the wrong answer to the riddle.

So the intransigence we see in this thread is not new or special.
Glad to meet you, "professor".

I am a nuclear physicist by day and a Chippendales dancer by night, myself.

the fact remains that there is a roughly 50/50 chance of either sex with all bi

I won't confuse you by mentioning there are actually 1.08 boys born for every girl since you are playing make believe and all.

Assume all dogs are either white, brown, or black, with equal probability of each at each birth, regardless of the color of the parents.

Someone hands you a white puppy. You are asked what the odds are that his two littermates are also both white.

This time, instead, you go into a pet store and see three occupied cages with dogs hiding under blankets. You pick one at random, and out from under the blanket comes a white puppy. What are the odds that the other two puppies are both also white?

In a couple of years when you are a bit older, you should ask the teacher to explain dominant and recessive genes.

the fact remains that there is a roughly 50/50 chance of either sex
...at birth. Yes, thank you, that is one of the assumptions before the riddle even begins. Welcome to square one. We dont need you to clarify the starting conditions. That has already been done. But an honest attempt by you to understand why you are ass backwards wrong about the answer to the riddle would be appreciated.

In a couple of years when you are a bit older, you should ask the teacher to explain dominant and recessive genes.
Yes, often students will try to distract or cut jokes, when asked to answer a question. This is always a sure sign they do not understand the material.

Yes, often students will try to distract or cut jokes, when asked to answer a question. This is always a sure sign they do not understand the material.
I doubt that you are fooling too many people here.

the fact remains that when one flips a coin, there is a 50 % chance it will come up heads. If you happen to flip tails, the chance that the next one will be heads is still 50%.

Forum List

Back