Richest states/Poorest states

mike.redd1266

Jul 17, 2013
Interesting to read about which states have the highest median salary, lowest unemployment, etc.

I was shocked to see that Maryland came out on top. I would of expected New York, Virginia or Massachusetts to come out on top as the richest state. For the Poorest state I am not surprised that it is Mississippi. Mississippi has been known as one of the poorest states for a while now. The south seems to not be having the best of luck. the bottom 5 poorest states are all in the south. Check out the graph below.

poorest-and-richest-states.jpg

Source: Rare.us | Richest states/Poorest states

Interesting to read about which states have the highest median salary, lowest unemployment, etc.

I was shocked to see that Maryland came out on top. I would of expected New York, Virginia or Massachusetts to come out on top as the richest state. For the Poorest state I am not surprised that it is Mississippi. Mississippi has been known as one of the poorest states for a while now. The south seems to not be having the best of luck. the bottom 5 poorest states are all in the south. Check out the graph below.

poorest-and-richest-states.jpg

Source: Rare.us | Richest states/Poorest states
Now, when I looked at it again I found that DC, Maryland and Virginia are in the top five.

Can you say tax money?! Certainly not industrious, wealth-producing states.

For Mississippi in particular and the Deep South in general, being on the bottom in economic development is intentional. Resisting economic development to maintain the social order was explicit state government policy into the sixties, and while lip service has been paid to attracting industry, these efforts have never addressed the issues high wage industries are interested in.

Well, let's have a look and see if they are really richer, or if they just FEEL like they're richer.

We'll take the top and the bottom, Maryland and Mississippi.

A Marylander's mean income - $72,419

A Mississippian's mean income - $38,718

On the face of it...that looks pretty bad, doesn't it...

But, let's dig a little deeper.

An average home in Maryland costs $319,000.

An average home in Mississippi costs $99,000.

Check out an amortization chart over thirty years and see how much that costs ya.

I'll give you a hint, the Mississippian is paying $500 a month, the Marylander...$1606.

The payment and interest over 30 years?

Maryland -
$581,877.41 Total of 360 Payments

$262,877.41 Total Interest Paid

Mississippi -
180,582.64 Total of 360 Payments

$81,582.64 Total Interest Paid

Groceries cost an average of 18% less in Mississippi than they do in Maryland.

Gasoline is 25 cents more per gallon in Maryland than it is in Mississippi.

Mississippi has lower taxes, and as taxes are paid on a percentage...the more you make, to more you pay, so the saving both at the state and federal levals are significant.

Example...at the federal level, the tax on $39,000 is $3,300.

That same guy in Maryland must pay $10,500 on his $72,000.

Cars are cheaper, insurance is cheaper...

When all is said and done, the Mississippian may actually be living better, and have more disposable income than the "rich" Marylander.

So, just because some low information poster finds a "Richer/Poorer" chart in his inbox via labeled "L@@K at this!"...don't be fooled.

It ain't how much ya make, it's how much ya keep that counts.

Last edited:
In the Wonderful World of Conservatopia, the less you make, the better off you are.

"Prosperity Through Lower Wages!"

In the Wonderful World of Conservatopia, the less you make, the better off you are.

"Prosperity Through Lower Wages!"
Yup. And the poor guy with that $300K house. Only worth about $600K when finishes paying for it. So that whole $300K in equity is maybe, what, four times what the guy buying the home in Miss. will have. But hell, groceries are higher.

Well, let's have a look and see if they are really richer, or if they just FEEL like they're richer.

Based on 35 years living in Mississippi, I can assure you it is that bad. If Mississippi is such a low cost mecca, you should move there. Your numbers games ignore that Mississippi is consistently on the bottom in every measure of well being from public health to education.

Based on 35 years living in Mississippi, I can assure you it is that bad. If Mississippi is such a low cost mecca, you should move there. Your numbers games ignore that Mississippi is consistently on the bottom in every measure of well being from public health to education.

I go to Mississippi all the time, wouldn't bother me a bit to live there.

I was born and raised in Maryland...the threat of death would probably get me to move back there...but I'd have to think about it first.

I just identified $20,500 a year that the Marylander is paying that the Mississippian is not.

The Marylander is down to $51,000 right out of the gate, and we haven't even figured state income tax, flush tax, property tax, rain tax, increased grocery costs, increased automobile costs, hours of lost time sitting in traffic.

It took me 45 minutes to go 5 miles to school in my own car in 1987...I can only imagine how bad it is today.

By the time all that is figured in, the Marylander comes out far poorer than the Mississippian.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back