Revamping the Forum Categories

All we need in the computer area is "why Debian is GREAT(MDGA) and everything else sux.
That's all I got right now...finishing this install of Parrot os rolling...slowing this internet a lot
wp170202-amazon-rainforest-wallpaper.jpg

There's also an extremely loose collective definition of what qualifies as worthy "breaking news".

I agree.

I'd like to see the Breaking News forum reserved for earth shaking breaking news...like Fukashima, national disaster, mass shootings...

You know, like "we interrupt our programming to bring you this breaking news...now back to your regularly scheduled broadcast".

(Do they even do that anymore?)

If it's not important enough to preempt American Idol, it shouldn't be in Breaking News.

But how to accomplish that on a messageboard without leaving it to the absolute discretion of the moderators (ie... only a moderator could move a post there) I don't know.

Probably not worth the trouble.

I think my main point is that "breaking news" is redundant. If ít's news, then by definition it's breaking. There's no such thing as "non-breaking news".

There's also an extremely loose collective definition of what qualifies as worthy "breaking news".

I agree.

I'd like to see the Breaking News forum reserved for earth shaking breaking news...like Fukashima, national disaster, mass shootings...

You know, like "we interrupt our programming to bring you this breaking news...now back to your regularly scheduled broadcast".

If it's not important enough to preempt American Idol, it shouldn't be in Breaking News.

But how to accomplish that on a messageboard without leaving it to the absolute discretion of the moderators (ie... only a moderator could move a post there) I don't know.

I think my main point is that "breaking news" is redundant. If ít's news, then by definition it's breaking. There's no such thing as "non-breaking news".
Would it help you if they created a hair-splitting forum or a "how many Angels can dance on the head of a pin?" forum

I say that, assuming that the new grammar Nazi forum is a forgone conclusion.

I agree.

Would it help you if they created a hair-splitting forum or a "how many Angels can dance on the head of a pin?" forum

I say that, assuming that the new grammar Nazi forum is a forgone conclusion.

Redundancy is not "grammar". The OP asks for suggestions on trimming down superfluous forums. The case you're making is for trimming down superfluous posters. Feel free to self-trim.

Something that slipped my mind previously was the religion/ethics sub-forum.

There's a lot of griping about atheists peeing on christian threads.

Well, the other thing is that nobody ever complains about when people argue over whose religion is bigger than the other guy's. They're equally as guilty as the atheists in that regard.

I dunno how that get's moderated but it should be remembered collectively that America is a nation of all religions. Not just a couple of popular ones waving their peckers at each other. Nobody wants to read that. It's not even stimulating. It's like High School.

People's religions should be respected and not attacked just to attack and poke fun. Of course, varying doctrine is interesting discussion if it can be kept civil.

I had thought about inviting an old Calvinist peer over to debate. But then I was like, naaaw...I can't do it to em. He's hardcore, too, he'd pee all over everybody's Cheerios. That's why I didn't do it. Plus someone else old me don't even think about bringing him over here. lol.

I agree.

Ya know? It's hard to believe, there was a time, when, "The Daily Show," was actually funny and not propaganda.

"When News Breaks. . . We Fix IT!" :auiqs.jpg:

I've been thinking for a few days now that maybe we should come up with a new format for the layout of the forum with some different thread categories. Maybe we eliminate some old ones (like the Election 2016 forum), perhaps merge a few, change the names of some so their purpose is more clear, and maybe add a category or two (like Second Amendment). We have a lot of different thread groups out there and some are hardly used, some are outdated, and some could be named better. I'm just looking for some better organization.

I started a conversation with the other moderators earlier today, but thought I would also solicit the board to see everyone's thoughts in general for suggestions of what some of you may want to see added or changed. I'm looking for constructive comments, please. Thanks

My thought is a miscellaneous bodily complaint forum. You know like, "Geez, my hemorrhoids are killing me!"

Or....."Oh my God, I think Aaronleland gave me genital warts."

Trust me, it'll be a hit. :thup:

I've been thinking for a few days now that maybe we should come up with a new format for the layout of the forum with some different thread categories. Maybe we eliminate some old ones (like the Election 2016 forum), perhaps merge a few, change the names of some so their purpose is more clear, and maybe add a category or two (like Second Amendment). We have a lot of different thread groups out there and some are hardly used, some are outdated, and some could be named better. I'm just looking for some better organization.

I started a conversation with the other moderators earlier today, but thought I would also solicit the board to see everyone's thoughts in general for suggestions of what some of you may want to see added or changed. I'm looking for constructive comments, please. Thanks

My thought is a miscellaneous bodily complaint forum. You like, "Geez, my hemorrhoids are killing me!"

Or....."Oh my God, I think Aaronleland gave me genital warts."

Trust me, it'll be a hit. :thup:
You have seized upon the real reason Pogo is demanding I trim.

"Dogmaphobe, PLEASE, I can't handle the chaffing!":

Suggestions:

Merge Breaking News with Current News

Merge Congress and Politics and Tea Party

Merge Science and Technology, Environment, Energy

Merge Sick Market with Economics

Merge U.S. Constitution with Law and Justice system

Merge Healthcare/Insurance/government healthcare with Obamacare

Merge Health and lifestyle with Race relations/Racism with Philosophy

Merge History with Military

Merge Conspiracy theories with Wikileaks with Paranormal

Merge General Global Topics with General discussion with Garage

Merge Debate now with The bull ring

Merge USMB lounge with Humor with Reviews

Merge Arts and Crafts with Gardening and Landscaping

Merge Music with TV forum, with Writing with Photography and imaging

Merge USMB badlands with The rubber room

Merge Computers with Xbox/Playstation/Nintendo Wii with USMB Mafia zone

Some of the merged groups could use a new forum name?

Suggest that all ZONE level one forums be under a single Category

Suggest that all ZONE level two forums be under a different single Category.

Suggest that all ZONE level three forums be under a different single Category

Then place the merged forums under the appropriate Zone based Category.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Suggestions:

Merge Computers with Xbox/Playstation/Nintendo Wii

Cheers!

Agree with a lot of that, good suggestions. Disagree with mainly these:

"Health/Lifestyle" has little if anything to do with Race OR Philosophy.
I've posted profusely in History and almost none of it has had anything to do with "Military". It's just not relevant. OTOH I've never posted anything at all in Military. Just not interested.

I can remember when Gardening/Landscaping (it's really gardening, or gardening/growikng) was created, there was a need for it. But it isn't anything to do with Arts and Crafts, it's horticulture.

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT toss as noble an art as Music in with the utter trash of TV. They have zero in common. Photography if it must be merged might better blend with Computers.

Suggestions:

Merge Computers with Xbox/Playstation/Nintendo Wii

Cheers!

Agree with a lot of that, good suggestions. Disagree with mainly these:

"Health/Lifestyle" has little if anything to do with Race OR Philosophy.
I've posted profusely in History and almost none of it has had anything to do with "Military". It's just not relevant. OTOH I've never posted anything at all in Military. Just not interested.

I can remember when Gardening/Landscaping (it's really gardening, or gardening/growikng) was created, there was a need for it. But it isn't anything to do with Arts and Crafts, it's horticulture.

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT toss as noble an art as Music in with the utter trash of TV. They have zero in common. Photography if it must be merged might better blend with Computers.

Please make suggestion on what you disagree on, your own proposed groupings, the main focus for me is to greatly shorten the main board.

Computers with Xbox/Playstation/Nintendo Wii forum makes sense since they ALL are based on computers.

Music with TV forum, with Writing with Photography and imaging are all loosely based entertainment activities.

Health and lifestyle with Race relations/Racism with Philosophy are about how people live and think as individuals

Gardening and Landscaping with Arts and Crafts all generally considered Hobby activities.

I will yield on your Military with History objection

Last edited:

Have one forum called “ movies “

Merge badlands and rubber to the flame zone
Have a Israel/ Jewish forum
Have a forum called “ movies “

Thought Badlands with rubber room was better....

Israel/Palestine with Middle East - general

Movies with Music with TV forum, with Writing with Photography and imaging....?

Last edited:

Thought Badlands with rubber room was better....

Israel/Palestine with Middle East - general

Movies with Music with TV forum, with Writing with Photography and imaging....?
We have zero forum that even says movies !!

Forum List

Back