Retired Marine/actor R. Lee Ermey laid to rest at Arlington 1/19

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
He died about nine months ago so I wonder why they decided to bury him in January. He was billed as the "old Gunny" which is Gunnery Sgt. (three up and two down) but listed as Staff Sgt at Arlington. Anyway his portrayal of Sgt. Hartman in "FMJ" was accurate as any former Marine who went through Boot Camp at Parris Is. in the 60's can attest. The barracks even look like the 3rd Bn. MCRD as I recall and personally I get flashback nightmares when I watch the movie. He was a decent actor who appeared in a lot of straight dramatic roles like the parent of a kid who was killed in the movie "Dead Man Walking". He will be missed.

Last edited:
Since he was cremated, I am guessing it took so long for the family to pick a date that worked for them. It can take 4 months just for a standard burial with honors and chapel though, so it isn't a quick process. The requests way outnumber the capacity to do them

I didn't know he was cremated. It makes the casket a little lighter. I had a distant relative who was a retired Admiral and when he died I was privileged to get a first hand view of a Navy burial at Arlington and it was impressive to say the least with the caisson and the riderless horse on a sunny spring day. I'll never forget it.

I didn't know he was cremated. It makes the casket a little lighter. I had a distant relative who was a retired Admiral and when he died I was privileged to get a first hand view of a Navy burial at Arlington and it was impressive to say the least with the caisson and the riderless horse on a sunny spring day. I'll never forget it.

From what I have been told, if you don't have the remains cremated, it costs a fortune to keep the body stored for the time it takes to get the Arlington thing done.

Forum List

Back