Restaurateur Defied Maine Gov To Open His Business, State Agents Are Moving To Shut Him Down

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
“You can’t [extend the emergency order] three days before it [expires]. It doesn’t work,” Savage said. “We had food ordered. We were making chowders and chilis and all that stuff. And we’re like, ‘No, we’re opening.’ We’re clean, we can give people social distancing, we can do it right.”

Business owners and others are expected to protest against Mills’ order in Augusta on Saturday.

And that's one of the big problems facing small businesses all across the country in the face of so many politicians' indecisiveness. Our governor's initial shut down order was set to expire at midnight on May 1st and he waited until April 30th to say he was extending it to May 15th. He got a lot of criticism for that, even by the media, surprisingly, because people don't know what to expect and can't make any plans.

In Maine's case, I can't see Janet Mills' scientific justification for extending her order another month when there have only been 55 deaths in her state and it is largely rural. It doesn't make any sense and she's making these decisions all on her own without any input from the state assembly or the business community. That is not how our government is meant to function. We don't elect monarchs. We have separation of powers for a reason. It takes a lot of courage to do what Savage is doing and I hope other businesses follow suit and open up around the state as well. Too many mayors and governors are consolidating power they arguably don't have and need to be reminded who they work for.

Since when did governors become the final arbiter of who is allowed to open and who gets prosecuted for not obeying their god like orders?

Since the people of their states allowed them to out of fear. That's the problem. They will get away with as much as they think they can as long as they can.

“You can’t [extend the emergency order] three days before it [expires]. It doesn’t work,” Savage said. “We had food ordered. We were making chowders and chilis and all that stuff. And we’re like, ‘No, we’re opening.’ We’re clean, we can give people social distancing, we can do it right.”

Business owners and others are expected to protest against Mills’ order in Augusta on Saturday.

And that's one of the big problems facing small businesses all across the country in the face of so many politicians' indecisiveness. Our governor's initial shut down order was set to expire at midnight on May 1st and he waited until April 30th to say he was extending it to May 15th. He got a lot of criticism for that, even by the media, surprisingly, because people don't know what to expect and can't make any plans.

In Maine's case, I can't see Janet Mills' scientific justification for extending her order another month when there have only been 55 deaths in her state and it is largely rural. It doesn't make any sense and she's making these decisions all on her own without any input from the state assembly or the business community. That is not how our government is meant to function. We don't elect monarchs. We have separation of powers for a reason. It takes a lot of courage to do what Savage is doing and I hope other businesses follow suit and open up around the state as well. Too many mayors and governors are consolidating power they arguably don't have and need to be reminded who they work for.

There is nothing unconstitutional about it. There are no separation of powers issues. The Governor has the power to do this in a emergency.

There is nothing unconstitutional about it. There are no separation of powers issues. The Governor has the power to do this in a emergency.
VirusBootlicck.png

I'm not familiar with the Maine state constitution and I doubt you are either, hence the reason I specifically said "power they arguably don't have." Nonetheless, an emergency does not give them unlimited power to do what ever it is they want. There are limits.

I'm not familiar with the Maine state constitution and I doubt you are either, hence the reason I specifically said "power they arguably don't have." Nonetheless, an emergency does not give them unlimited power to do what ever it is they want. There are limits.
Not according to that Michigan Court. That judge seems to think any "emergency" give government unlimited power with no level of scrutiny whatsoever.

You're not familiar with laws of Maine, but that doesn't stop you from propagating your opinion.

Not according to that Michigan Court. That judge seems to think any "emergency" give government unlimited power with no level of scrutiny whatsoever.

The Michigan court ruled that the Governor was working within the law. How To Think About Government Emergency Powers

Since when did governors become the final arbiter of who is allowed to open and who gets prosecuted for not obeying their god like orders?

Since the people of their states allowed them to out of fear. That's the problem. They will get away with as much as they think they can as long as they can.
I am hearing rumors that Attorney General Barr may get involved with this.

This is clearly a deprivation of constitutional rights. The Maine governor does not have scientific grounds to continue the lock down.

Ultimately, the people need to raise the stakes and stop this authoritarianism. The people have the power but they're gonna have to use it or these little tin pot authoritarian governors, mayors, local officials are gonna keep pushing that boot deeper into the neck.
When south Texas floods the government should say.....you're on your own?

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
Ultimately, the people need to raise the stakes and stop this authoritarianism. The people have the power but they're gonna have to use it or these little tin pot authoritarian governors, mayors, local officials are gonna keep pushing that boot deeper into the neck.
When south Texas floods the government should say.....you're on your own?

How is that related to people exerting their power?

I am hearing rumors that Attorney General Barr may get involved with this.

This is clearly a deprivation of constitutional rights. The Maine governor does not have scientific grounds to continue the lock down.
Barr can do what he wants. He really should be investigating why your skidmark acted slower than the four bipartisan MOC's.

Forum List

Back