Restaurants Charging Fees for using your Credit Cards.

First of all, let me say that Credit card companies’ fees are already being paid by customers because they are part of a merchant’s overhead expenses.
I also know that the restaurant industry has been devastated by our governments imposed regulations, and SHUT-DOWNS , and I for one have been VERY Sympathetic about that from day one.
However, over the last few weeks I have notices after gtting my bill from some restaurants a Credit Card Fee for using my card.
Now I dine out several times weekly with my wife and have notices a Fee added on the bill for using a credit card, ranging from 2 percent to 4 percent. Being told about it in advancer, or having it listed on the Menu is not the Issue, not at all.
As we all know very well the cost of eating out has skyrocketed with food and also the drink prices! And mostly all of the restaurants have raised their prices. I know that, and I’m not complaining about that. But now adding a Credit Card Fee on top is what I think TO MUCH.
I believe that without a doubt it will reduce the number of times people go out to a restaurant. That is a Given.
And as a customer who frequently dines in restaurants, I know will impact my going out for dinner as often as I have been..

First of all, I feel that if the restaurant is raising their prices then they should not be charging this ridiculous fee for the use of someone using their Card As a practical matter, since more than 80, and maybe 90 percent of bills at full-service restaurants are paid by credit cards, such fees should be built into the prices, as they most probably were already. .
I think the prices they are charging now is getting to be too much already, then you include the tip, the gas to get there, the Valet for parking, and now a credit card fee?. They are going to be pricing themselves out of existence.
All prices already went up. I’m VERY Sorry for all those that suffered last year. But my fixed income didn’t go up, and I’,m sure that most of their other customers haven't either. So everyone is in the same predicament. We all feel the squeeze.
I got that beat.

Well, I never use debt in any way (I think that's very foolish) but I have learned this year not to use a debit Visa card, because stores or magazines get you on automatic renewal! They don't ask, or they pretend you said it was okay and just keep charging forever. AND the biggest cheat going now is the box you supposedly checked, as if, that the charity or politician group can take the amount contributed out of your account every month. I was caught TWICE by that and my husband once. We got free of them all, but we both lost money on all three of these thefts. In both cases, I at least will never contribute there again. And I pay for any subscription by check so they can't put me illicitly on automatic renewal. And contribute to any charity by check or PayPal or Amazon Pay ---- some way that can't be jiggered by these thieves.

BJs Warehouse is trying to force automatic renewal on all its members now --- we are just not going to renew at all, after having with great difficulty and literally hours on the phone and website gotten out of that, we hope. These are very crooked schemes and another problem with paying by plastic card of any kind is that they datamine you up one side and down the other. I don't accept that.

If we ever decide to rejoin BJS (which now has less and less and less of what we go for, because of the shortages --- they are worse affected by the shortages than any store in the county! --- I'll offer to renew with cash and not give them any card number. If they won't take cash, because they want so badly to cheat us, the heck with it.

Just do what zi do, call your Credit Card company and DISPUTE IT.

Businesspeople really appreciate and prefer cash money.

I haven't seen what you've described around here when I choose to have Mexican cuisine or fried chicken at Taco Bell and KFC. However, the message has been given, if you want the convenience of using credit, you will have to pay.
My whole point is, ( and I don’t think thst you get it) but why pisses me off is ghat these same restaurants have ALREADY raised their prices, and now because they csn, they want to charge you a Surcharge to use your credit card.

With all due respect, RR...you've ALWAYS paid to use your credit card...the fee was built into the menu price! What those restaurants are doing now is fighting back against the credit card service providers..

EXACTLY, thats why I get pissed now that they went to BOTH RAISING PRICES, AND CHARGING A. SUR-CHARGE!
Hold on...they're raising prices because inflation is making the price of things they use every day like eggs and lemons skyrocket. The credit card service providers are also raising their rates which is why you're starting to see surcharges. Restaurants are just trying to survive this Administration. So many of them didn't make it through the Pandemic and now they have to deal with Biden and his gang of idiots! They're not gouging you. I think you know that from your own trips to the supermarket.

They should just raise the prices of their food a bit to cover the cost so they don’t come off as petty dicks.

My whole point is, ( and I don’t think thst you get it) but why pisses me off is ghat these same restaurants have ALREADY raised their prices, and now because they csn, they want to charge you a Surcharge to use your credit card.
You challenging the charge through the credit card provider simply means the restaurant owner doesn't get paid. You really think you deserve a free meal? If you're not paying a surcharge on your credit card then you're paying a surcharge built into the bill. Does it make you happier to do that?

First of all, let me say that Credit card companies’ fees are already being paid by customers because they are part of a merchant’s overhead expenses.
I also know that the restaurant industry has been devastated by our governments imposed regulations, and SHUT-DOWNS , and I for one have been VERY Sympathetic about that from day one.
However, over the last few weeks I have notices after gtting my bill from some restaurants a Credit Card Fee for using my card.
Now I dine out several times weekly with my wife and have notices a Fee added on the bill for using a credit card, ranging from 2 percent to 4 percent. Being told about it in advancer, or having it listed on the Menu is not the Issue, not at all.
As we all know very well the cost of eating out has skyrocketed with food and also the drink prices! And mostly all of the restaurants have raised their prices. I know that, and I’m not complaining about that. But now adding a Credit Card Fee on top is what I think TO MUCH.
I believe that without a doubt it will reduce the number of times people go out to a restaurant. That is a Given.
And as a customer who frequently dines in restaurants, I know will impact my going out for dinner as often as I have been..

First of all, I feel that if the restaurant is raising their prices then they should not be charging this ridiculous fee for the use of someone using their Card As a practical matter, since more than 80, and maybe 90 percent of bills at full-service restaurants are paid by credit cards, such fees should be built into the prices, as they most probably were already. .
I think the prices they are charging now is getting to be too much already, then you include the tip, the gas to get there, the Valet for parking, and now a credit card fee?. They are going to be pricing themselves out of existence.
All prices already went up. I’m VERY Sorry for all those that suffered last year. But my fixed income didn’t go up, and I’,m sure that most of their other customers haven't either. So everyone is in the same predicament. We all feel the squeeze.
As a B2B business we add fees to credit card payments as well, as we have to pay the CC company that 2% - 3% and someone like Authnet on top of that.
BUT - we are not a retail company, a retail company gets at least 90% of it's payments by consumer cards - so yes, it should be within the price.
- BTW - we try as much as we can to bring cash for tips however. That way the wait staff don't have to pay taxes on it.
And many restaurants also make the server pay 2%-3% to them to cover the charge for their portion.

They should just raise the prices of their food a bit to cover the cost so they don’t come off as petty dicks.
Are you willing to have the cost of redoing menus and spending hours redoing POS systems added to your bill as well? Here's the thing, Kiddies! Restaurants work on a small margin. They aren't being "dicks" when they pass along what they're being charged...they're simply trying to stay in business! Why don't you ask your credit card provider why they think they deserve 5% of the gross of a restaurant simply for processing a card...something that takes seconds!

Are you willing to have the cost of redoing menus and spending hours redoing POS systems added to your bill as well? Here's the thing, Kiddies! Restaurants work on a small margin. They aren't being "dicks" when they pass along what they're being charged...they're simply trying to stay in business! Why don't you ask your credit card provider why they think they deserve 5% of the gross of a restaurant simply for processing a card...something that takes seconds!
Or pay cash if it bothers you. Geez people . Stop bitching

This trend started several years ago when AMEX jacked up their merchant fees so high that places either stopped taking them or added a fee on top of the price if you used one. Since then, I have sporadically seen merchants do it with all credit cards (but not debits) but it doesn't seem to be a widespread practice in our area. I don't recall paying fees ever for using plastic at a point of sale, but I have had to pay additional fees when using it for foreign purchases or donations for the currency exchange part of the transaction, mostly with the UK.

This seems to be everywhere now.

We are putting plantation shutters in our new house and the place where we got them has "3% discount" if you pay with check vice a card.

just booked movers, they have a fee if you pay with a card vice cash/check.

This seems to be everywhere now.

We are putting plantation shutters in our new house and the place where we got them has "3% discount" if you pay with check vice a card.

just booked movers, they have a fee if you pay with a card vice cash/check.
Id tell them where to go.

Id tell them where to go.

Then you would not get things done.

Every mover I talked to has the same either fee for using the card or discount for not using it, which is the same thing of course.

But I do have a sign in the yard, does not bother me in the least since I do not even live there yet.

Every mover I talked to has the same either fee for using the card or discount for not using it, which is the same thing of course.

That’s VERY FUNNY, because I just Moved out of NYC to Florida, and NONE OF MY ESTIMATED PRICES WERE LIKE THAT!

Forum List

Back