Restaurant surcharge for Charlotte. NC event cries of racism

I have not worked food service since I was 15. I do go to restaurants a lot. Black diners are almost always very loud, start fights, and complain endlessly.
If you watched the news report in the link provided, there was one black waitress interviewed that said black customers can be very demanding.....
In settings where that is true, it is normally where the customer is not a regular but a first time only time or an occasional customer.
Now I have never worked in a nightclub, but I know people that have bartended and been security in 'urban' night clubs. The bartenders both state that black customers, especially men tip very little or not at all.
Another group that is typically poor tippers are native southerners. They seem to resent the concept altogether.
You generalize too much. Native southerners give bigger tips. I average 30 to 50%, sometimes on a small meal, I'll tip 100%. I do that because I can and I know what it is to work for peanuts. Servers around here get $2.13 per hour + tips and they love to see me walk in, they greet me with smiles, they serve me well...because I tip them well. I am definitely a native southern gentleman.

Last edited:
I find it hard to tip in nightclubs, unless I am able to pay at the end. As after a few orders of drinks I run out of $1 notes or coins.
Solution is to order drinks that total $18.00 and say, "Keep the change!"

I do not frequent places that want to hold your plastic while you run a tab. Either trust me or don't. If they demand payment by the drink, I have one and leave.

we surcharge 25% for parties of 6 or more. ALWAYS.

Why because tables of 6 or more generally require more than one wait staff. And people sometimes suck at tipping. Yes blacks are worse than any other race as a race, but we're in a tourist town and so most people are pretty good about tipping.

And we pay our wait staff the same $10 an hour as the kitchen help gets as well.

Oh, and for the guy who commented, we run tabs you can pay at the end of the evening or you can pay per drink. We're a fine dining establishment though , don't get many dash and dines. Especially now that we are a private club and have everyone's name and address when they come to eat or drink with us. My sister in law runs the place, and she wouldn't hesitate to show up at someone's house at 3 am to collect a tab LOL

we surcharge 25% for parties of 6 or more. ALWAYS.

Why because tables of 6 or more generally require more than one wait staff. And people sometimes suck at tipping. Yes blacks are worse than any other race as a race, but we're in a tourist town and so most people are pretty good about tipping.

And we pay our wait staff the same $10 an hour as the kitchen help gets as well.

Oh, and for the guy who commented, we run tabs you can pay at the end of the evening or you can pay per drink. We're a fine dining establishment though , don't get many dash and dines. Especially now that we are a private club and have everyone's name and address when they come to eat or drink with us. My sister in law runs the place, and she wouldn't hesitate to show up at someone's house at 3 am to collect a tab LOL
Wherever there's an automatic gratuity on the tab...that's all they get from me. It's generally less than I would have tipped on my own. Even your 25% is less than my usual minimum.

I have a general rule for tipping..
I never leave nothing. If the service is bad because the server is lousy - if you leave no tip, he/she thinks your an asshole, but if you leave $2 or something it sends a message to the server - you suck.
If service is bad because they are overwhelmed I tip the same as if I was served well.
If service was good I usually tip between $7-$10 depending on price, if in a great restaurant and the meal for the two of us is $60-$70 then I usually tip $15.
BUT - if service was awesome. Your server is really pleasant, on top of everything,, HONEST about the food - made good suggestions etc. I think everyone here knows what I mean...you "connect" with them. They are simply awesome at their job...I will tip sinfully high. Particularly if they are a student.

Almost all restaurants do this for tables of 6 or more or during special events drawing large crowds.
and we all know what kind of patrons will eat half of an expensive steak meal, then half way thru eating it, one of them will complain they dont like it, and demand a refund !!

Yes and I hate that. Im a weird eater. I eat all my sides first...then dig into that steak. Now..they make me cut into it upon arrival so I cant complain. Which I dont. I say buyer beware with food. If its edible. ..I eat it. If itd good I come back. If not I dont.

But assholes who eat half of it then say it wasnt cooked right...fuck them. They're the reason I have to cut open my steak first for the waitress to witness. Its so awkward. I dont blame the waitress thougj.
and you got to love the ones who have a panty rage claiming that the burger isnt rare/medium/well done and demand another burger.
If I don't like a place, I just eat what I can, pay the bill, tip, then leave. Then never go back.

If someone gave me terrible service, I would just pay the bill and not leave a tip, though that has fortunately never happened here.

Same here...though I will tell them if something was wrong with the food. (If the cook is drunk/incompetent/stoned/senile, they need to know before he poisons someone.) I only left without a tip once...my wife and I arrived, were seated, the waitress brought drinks (IIRC, water and iced tea respectively). Almost half an hour later, we hadn't seen a sign of her. We waited another 5 minutes, then left in disgust.

I have not worked food service since I was 15. I do go to restaurants a lot. Black diners are almost always very loud, start fights, and complain endlessly.
If you watched the news report in the link provided, there was one black waitress interviewed that said black customers can be very demanding.....
In settings where that is true, it is normally where the customer is not a regular but a first time only time or an occasional customer.
Now I have never worked in a nightclub, but I know people that have bartended and been security in 'urban' night clubs. The bartenders both state that black customers, especially men tip very little or not at all.
Another group that is typically poor tippers are native southerners. They seem to resent the concept altogether.
You generalize too much. Native southerners give bigger tips. I average 30 to 50%, sometimes on a small meal, I'll tip 100%. I do that because I can and I know what it is to work for peanuts. Servers around here get $2.13 per hour + tips and they love to see me walk in, they greet me with smiles, they serve me well...because I tip them well. I am definitely a native southern gentleman.
Not in my experience. I dealt with them for 5 years. Now if you wish to dispute that by offering up a small sampling of examples vs my 5 years in the business, have at it.
It is clear that my observations based on experience trumps your anecdotal evidence.

I find it hard to tip in nightclubs, unless I am able to pay at the end. As after a few orders of drinks I run out of $1 notes or coins.
Solution is to order drinks that total $18.00 and say, "Keep the change!"

I do not frequent places that want to hold your plastic while you run a tab. Either trust me or don't. If they demand payment by the drink, I have one and leave.
I would say there are few if any night clubs that allow tabs without a credit card and some actually require a driver's license to accompany card.
My friends ex wife used to bar tend at a popular night spot. They had issues with customers handing over credit cards on closed accounts, stolen cards, etc....Scams of all types.
So they would take the card and the license. Once the sale was to be entered and the card swiped, and sale approved, they would hand the customer their license and card along with the ticket.

I never leave nothing. If the service is bad because the server is lousy - if you leave no tip, he/she thinks your an asshole, but if you leave $2 or something it sends a message to the server - you suck.
If service is bad because they are overwhelmed I tip the same as if I was served well.
If service was good I usually tip between $7-$10 depending on price, if in a great restaurant and the meal for the two of us is $60-$70 then I usually tip $15.
BUT - if service was awesome. Your server is really pleasant, on top of everything,, HONEST about the food - made good suggestions etc. I think everyone here knows what I mean...you "connect" with them. They are simply awesome at their job...I will tip sinfully high. Particularly if they are a student.
I'm pretty much the same way. One thing I always do in chain restaurants is ask if the tips are pooled.
I think that is a shitty practice. Because it rewards the slackers at the expense of the outstanding.
If tips are pooled, I let the server ( if they are outstanding)know I am going to leave them something extra. I put the regular tip in the credit card holder and palm the extra underneath when I hand it back to the server.

I'm pretty much the same way. One thing I always do in chain restaurants is ask if the tips are pooled.
I think that is a shitty practice. Because it rewards the slackers at the expense of the outstanding.
If tips are pooled, I let the server ( if they are outstanding)know I am going to leave them something extra. I put the regular tip in the credit card holder and palm the extra underneath when I hand it back to the server.

Most places pool credit card tips. I always tip cash.

I also believe in karma. I always tip well. If the server was bad...they may be having an awful day. Have any of us been cheerful EVERY day at work? As long as they arent rude and I get my food...I tip.

Not in my experience. I dealt with them for 5 years. Now if you wish to dispute that by offering up a small sampling of examples vs my 5 years in the business, have at it.
It is clear that my observations based on experience trumps your anecdotal evidence.
As I was blessed, so were most of my friends. We tipped heavy because we had money to share...and we were (with the exception of a sprinkling of Yankee transplants) ALL native southerners.

When you factor in the poverty level of the deep south, I suppose our tipping habits were higher than the norm.

Forum List

Back