Restaurant surcharge for Charlotte. NC event cries of racism

Both of my children waited tables through college, one still does.
My daughter was a waitress for seven years, both have made the comment numerous times...sadly true, black people tip poorly and sometimes not at all.
Black women are the worst of all, not only the worst tippers, loud and crude to staff - but can be appallingly nasty. Blowing their noses into cloth napkins, spitting out food in their plates, leaving shopping trash on the table, etc.

My daughter was a waitress for seven years, both have made the comment numerous times...sadly true, black people tip poorly and sometimes not at all.
Black women are the worst of all, not only the worst tippers, loud and crude to staff - but can be appallingly nasty. Blowing their noses into cloth napkins, spitting out food in their plates, leaving shopping trash on the table, etc.
you got to really feel sorry for the waiters who have to get that one table with four black patrons, and often one of them is in the 250-350 pound range and the waiter is already "mentally crying" before he/she approaches the table.

Almost all restaurants do this for tables of 6 or more or during special events drawing large crowds.
and we all know what kind of patrons will eat half of an expensive steak meal, then half way thru eating it, one of them will complain they dont like it, and demand a refund !!

Yes and I hate that. Im a weird eater. I eat all my sides first...then dig into that steak. Now..they make me cut into it upon arrival so I cant complain. Which I dont. I say buyer beware with food. If its edible. ..I eat it. If itd good I come back. If not I dont.

But assholes who eat half of it then say it wasnt cooked right...fuck them. They're the reason I have to cut open my steak first for the waitress to witness. Its so awkward. I dont blame the waitress thougj.

you got to really feel sorry for the waiters who have to get that one table with four black patrons, and often one of them is in the 250-350 pound range and the waiter is already "mentally crying" before he/she approaches the table.

I worked at a huge sports bar and NFL sundays were the worst. For unsaid reasons...anytime the Steelers or Raiders were on....horrible. They have many fans of...well...a certain type.

They'd scream and fight and spill beer. And WINGS...they'd order dozens and eat them and toss the bones all over the floor.

And when a big play happened and everyone jumped up cheering...a handful would pretend to run around celebrating and run RIGHT OUT...the door. Never come back and stiff the waitress on the bill.

Some of the most disgusting people ever were Steelers fans...in South Carolina. ..who probably never even been to Pittsburgh. Fucking animals.

Almost all restaurants do this for tables of 6 or more or during special events drawing large crowds.
and we all know what kind of patrons will eat half of an expensive steak meal, then half way thru eating it, one of them will complain they dont like it, and demand a refund !!

Yes and I hate that. Im a weird eater. I eat all my sides first...then dig into that steak. Now..they make me cut into it upon arrival so I cant complain. Which I dont. I say buyer beware with food. If its edible. ..I eat it. If itd good I come back. If not I dont.

But assholes who eat half of it then say it wasnt cooked right...fuck them. They're the reason I have to cut open my steak first for the waitress to witness. Its so awkward. I dont blame the waitress thougj.
and you got to love the ones who have a panty rage claiming that the burger isnt rare/medium/well done and demand another burger.

and you got to love the ones who have a panty rage claiming that the burger isnt rare/medium/well done and demand another burger.
If I don't like a place, I just eat what I can, pay the bill, tip, then leave. Then never go back.

If someone gave me terrible service, I would just pay the bill and not leave a tip, though that has fortunately never happened here.

god, how do you ask 4 black patrons if they want chocolate or vanilla(ice cream or treat) when it comes time for dessert?
'Would you like our regular or flavored ice cream?' If they ask what regular is then you say vanilla, if they ask flavored then you say chocolate. That way you you are calling them cultured or full of life, as opposed to drawing the risk of a social misunderstanding.

god, how do you ask 4 black patrons if they want chocolate or vanilla(ice cream or treat) when it comes time for dessert?
'Would you like our regular or flavored ice cream?' If they ask what regular is then you say vanilla, if they ask flavored then you say chocolate. That way you you are calling them cultured or full of life, as opposed to drawing the risk of a social misunderstanding.
i can just picture a new/naive waiter in that dilemma. " So like, do you guys want Chocolate ice-cream? I mean like, you look like you prefer chocolate being it matches your skin-tone."

If you don't surcharge me, 20%-30% tip. If you surcharge me, no tip.
That's usually how it works. The surcharge is in place in lieu of the tip going directly to the server.
It is used for large parties.
It is understood that if the diners rate the service as outstanding, they may offer more in gratuity above the 18%.
However the 18% ( the restaurant management is pooling the tips) to the server. Remember..if you are dining upscale, the 18% only covers the table service. If there is a hostess/host that seats the party, they are expected to tip the hostess/host. If there is a Sommelier, the party is also expected to tip them as well.
Once you get to fine dining, if you are counting tips and deciding how to split the check, you don't belong in that restaurant in the first place.
That's why I don't do fine dining. Its beyond my means and I to this day have no idea which is the salad fork and which is the other fork.....Not only that, I don't do "she she" food....
I digress.

and then you can always say, "well if you dont want ice cream tonight, we also offer a sharing bowl with 12 slices of watermelon and for an extra dollar, a 2 litre bottle of grape soda to go along with the watermelon".

Hmmm..If you like to eat your meals in a certain order, that's fine. But why would it bother you just to cut the steak and not eat it?
Cuz I prefer to eat in a certain way that others see as odd.
Then again, I tell people, if you don't like when I eat my veggie first then move on, don't eat with me. I don't care.....I do what I do. Mind your own business.....

a highly experienced waiter can spot a {whatever the term is} when he/she sees one. the patron who will find a reason to get out of paying for a meal. right?

I worked at a huge sports bar and NFL sundays were the worst. For unsaid reasons...anytime the Steelers or Raiders were on....horrible. They have many fans of...well...a certain type.

They'd scream and fight and spill beer. And WINGS...they'd order dozens and eat them and toss the bones all over the floor.

And when a big play happened and everyone jumped up cheering...a handful would pretend to run around celebrating and run RIGHT OUT...the door. Never come back and stiff the waitress on the bill.

Some of the most disgusting people ever were Steelers fans...in South Carolina. ..who probably never even been to Pittsburgh. Fucking animals.
I worked in a Steelers bar in Charlotte. Great people when the Steelers won. If they lost, they did not tip....Even the regulars. But, they spent a lot of money so we put up with it.
Funny thing though....Most of the Steelers fans here are from western PA. They are the real deal....
Our bar was listed on the label of Iron City and Iron City Light beer along with 11 other Steelers bars across the country.
We once had a reporter from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette come to the bar to do a story on the bar and the fans there.
Heck then coach of the Steelers, Bill Cowher who is from the area had heard of us. And we had former Steeler Jack Ham come to our bar one Sunday.
Of course we hooked him up and that day's special sandwich was the "Jack Ham"....Hot ham and cheese. Very few of the patrons recognized Mr Ham as he sat at the bar. Once the game was over and the customers were getting ready to leave, we moved Mr Ham over by the door that lead to the rear exit. Then we introduced him to the people.
He saida few words and got a huge applause and of course he shook as many hands and took pictures for a good half hour. He was a real sport about it..

Yer kidding? Getting offended over ice cream flavors?
I swear to God we are doomed.

in NC it is fortunately state law that beef cannot be served with any sign of pink. So rare or medium rare is not an option.
If the customer balks, they are asked to order something else from the menu. That's how we handled it..."Would you like another choice( always suggest entree/sandwich) ...? And move on from there. Got some odd looks but never had a walk out.
Actually we didn't care if someone got pissed and left. That wasn't the type of customer we wanted and to be honest our place was pretty darned popular. And we had a solid repeat customer base of about 75 to 100 people who came in at least once a week.
So if we had a pain in the ass who just could not get it together, it was nothing for my friend the manager to say "ok, get the fuck out of my bar"....

in NC it is fortunately state law that beef cannot be served with any sign of pink. So rare or medium rare is not an option.
If the customer balks, they are asked to order something else from the menu. That's how we handled it..."Would you like another choice( always suggest entree/sandwich) ...? And move on from there. Got some odd looks but never had a walk out.
Actually we didn't care if someone got pissed and left. That wasn't the type of customer we wanted and to be honest our place was pretty darned popular. And we had a solid repeat customer base of about 75 to 100 people who came in at least once a week.
So if we had a pain in the ass who just could not get it together, it was nothing for my friend the manager to say "ok, get the fuck out of my bar"....
i was in hospitality from late 1990,on and off thru 2008ish. Steak and Chicken were always a problem! maybe 1 in 5 was 100% happy with the quality, but anyone in the biz will probably have 100 stories and grueling dilemmas with those customers from hell that was never happy with their steak or chicken meal.

a highly experienced waiter can spot a {whatever the term is} when he/she sees one. the patron who will find a reason to get out of paying for a meal. right?
Never ran into that issue.
i can still remember long long ago, as a busser, seeing the female servers crying in the kitchen or station being they were dealing with the worse case customers,and needed me to take care of those tables.

Forum List

Back