Republicans aren't interested in helping veterans.

Confounding

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2016

Why did they block the bill proposed by Bernie in 2014? We can afford endless war and tax breaks for the wealthy, but seeing that veterans get the care they need is just too darn expensive. Can we stop pretending that helping our veterans is a bipartisan goal?

"I don't want to hear people telling me it's too expensive to take care of veterans; I don't accept that! If you can't afford to take care of veterans then don't send them to war!"
-Bernie Sanders

Last edited:
I honestly have no idea why the republicans would block this. The cost is hardly nothing compared to what republicans want to spend on our military/war.
After watching, I find it laughable that the people against it in the video bitch about the debt. These are the same morons who want to do things that raise the debt. Jesus christ.

I honestly have no idea why the republicans would block this. The cost is hardly nothing compared to what republicans want to spend on our military/war.
After watching, I find it laughable that the people against it in the video bitch about the debt. These are the same morons who want to do things that raise the debt. Jesus christ.

But yet they want to get us into the wars that cost 4-5 trillion and give massive trillion dollar tax breaks to the riches. The republican party is evil.

How many of us really understand how much $21B is? The Republicans were against this bill, not for what it could do, but for what it costs. If Sanders is the kind of president we need, he should have gone for a compromise. What programs have been in existence for decades that the need for it (them) have vanished? Get rid of duplicated programs...What changes could be palatable for both sides?

Sanders tried to go for the veterans but shouldn't have stopped with the first decline because of cost. If Sanders wasn't willing to alter the bill for more votes, then someone else should have gone down that path.

Veterans are important to both sides. It would have been a winning bill if it had been tweaked. Now it is nothing. Both D and R's are responsible for its failure.

How many of us really understand how much $21B is?

I understand that it's a fraction of the cost of the wars that created those veterans.

We push these men into wars that cost 40 times as much as this and this son of a bitch jackson bitches about the cost to care for them. Wow, no wonder I am no longer a republican. Disgusting pigs.

• Banned
But, right now they are not getting anything more for the veterans. If both sides agreed to $15B, that would be a win for them, correct?

I think you're naive to believe the Republicans that shot this bill down would support a slightly less costly one. They shot it down because the needs of veterans are not among their priorities.

Last edited:
But, right now they are not getting anything more for the veterans. If both sides agreed to $15B, that would be a win for them, correct?

I think you're naive to believe the Republicans that shot this bill down would support a slightly less costly one. They shot it down because the needs of veterans are not among their priorities.
I disagree. I don't think that every person in the Republican party is against veterans. I do think most would have agreed to a lesser amount...which we will never know because no one attempted a compromise. So now they get nothing more. They only needed a few votes. Wasn't it worth the effort?

Why not give the money to the vets, and tell the free loading welfare Democrats to kiss off???

Oh, wait..

Obamanomics, right??

I believe you just highlighted the problem in congress. If something doesn't pass.They merely shrug their shoulders and say "Well, that didn't work." And they return to their desk and put their feet up.

They are getting the big bucks for more than that. Get off their bloomin' ass and ask what amount those several Republicans needed to pass the measure would be. Maybe they would want a vote on one of their bills in return. Do some logrolling!

I believe you just highlighted the problem in congress. If something doesn't pass.They merely shrug their shoulders and say "Well, that didn't work." And they return to their desk and put their feet up.

They are getting the big bucks for more than that. Get off their bloomin' ass and ask what amount those several Republicans needed to pass the measure would be. Maybe they would want a vote on one of their bills in return. Do some logrolling!

I get what you're saying but it feels like you're trying to shift blame. Republicans should have voted in favor of this bill if they truly care like they say they do. Do you believe 33 billion is just too much money to spend on helping our veterans? Consider the amount we spend on war and other things. Doing what needs to be done to help our veterans is not a Republican priority. If it was they would have voted in favor of this bill.

I get what you're saying but it feels like you're trying to shift blame. Republicans should have voted in favor of this bill if they truly care like they say they do. Do you believe 33 billion is just too much money to spend on helping our veterans? Consider the amount we spend on war and other things. Doing what needs to be done to help our veterans is not a Republican priority. If it was they would have voted in favor of this bill.

I really didn't mean to shift blame at all. either side could have caught that ball and gone with it. The miney spent in war should absolutely be considered. That's one of the reasons we have $18T in debt.

Our debt cannot be ignored, just as our vets cannot be ignored. I refuse to believe there wasn't room for a compromise. I say, get rid of all the congressmen and start over with those that would vow to compromise.

I know sounds good but is impossible, But, I'd rather place a compromise bill on the table than place blame and let it go.

Forum List

Back