Republican Orin Hatch calls for MASSIVE EXPANSION of Government

I don't see how Hatch's proposal would in any way (gasp!) EXPAND government. It makes sense. Drug testing would not need to be done by the government when there are private drug testing facilities from coast to coast - in part because of employer-required drug testing. It's not like these tests are $10,000 a pop.

I was in the grocery store in line behind a woman a week or so ago - she had on sun glasses but I could see her eyes well enough from the side to see they were all red and bloodshot. She bought a pack of gum with her food stamp card, requested $100 in cash and asked the clerk if she could use the card again right away. What do you think she was spending the money on? If she could draw down $100 in cash and still have room to use the card again, she had some dependents she should have been thinking about feeding rather than where she could get her next hit. A lot of food stamp/welfare money goes to drug purchases. A lot of people on welfare have live-in boyfriends or unreported husbands supporting them, some just jump from man to man and have no idea which one is the father of the child they're giving birth to ... another child = more welfare/food stamp money.

I can tell you from a legal secretary's perch and from personal observation that many of these people have "inside" help who approve their benefits even when they know it's a lie. They know how to play the system - and they do it quite well.

I think you're making stuff up, honey.

a basic average guideline for the food stamp program will show that an average family of 4 can expect an amount up to $500 per month for food stamps. This figure will greatly vary based on the age of the family members and medical needs. A single person household will show an expected average of up to $200 per month. Again, these figures are averages and not state specific.

INDIANAPOLIS -- Tax dollars are used to pay for food for low-income families, but hundreds of thousands of dollars are misused every year, assisted by some stores willing to break the law to sell people anything on the shelves.

Food stamp funds are doled out through plastic debit cards, which can include funds to buy other things.
Hidden Camera Shows Indiana Food Stamp Fund Misuse - Indiana News Story - WRTV Indianapolis

Looks like Granny isn't making anything up.

I dunno how I feel about this. On its face, it seems like common sense, nobody is forcing anyone to take welfare after all, it's not unreasonable to say you have to prove you're not blowing it on illegal drugs.

On the other hand, welfare does exist to keep people who have nothing out of trouble (not breaking into cars, mugging people, shoplifting). If you take it away, now you've got a junky who's not only hungry but needs a fix. Kind of eliminates the purpose of the program.

Lame post. I would 100% support this idea. And if there was a system that could be implemented to keep those on Food Stamps from using them to buy sugary sodas and potato chips, I would support that too.

You do understand that application of "Lame post" to that of Deanie-weanie is more than redundant...

I like the idea 'a system that could be implemented to keep those on Food Stamps from using them to buy sugary sodas and potato chips.'

On the one hand, it seems at first a fine idea, and could be implemented quite simply: have an aisle with nutritionally acceptable foods, and have food stamps apply only to these items, that aisle.

On the other hand, I have always championed freedom of choice...and suggested education rather than government enforcement.

I'll have to think about it. But good post.
There it is again...The capitulation to the notion that the welfare state program has any business existing in the first place.

or

The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in the insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding.

~Louis D. Brandeis

I don't see how Hatch's proposal would in any way (gasp!) EXPAND government. It makes sense. Drug testing would not need to be done by the government when there are private drug testing facilities from coast to coast - in part because of employer-required drug testing. It's not like these tests are $10,000 a pop.

I was in the grocery store in line behind a woman a week or so ago - she had on sun glasses but I could see her eyes well enough from the side to see they were all red and bloodshot. She bought a pack of gum with her food stamp card, requested $100 in cash and asked the clerk if she could use the card again right away. What do you think she was spending the money on? If she could draw down $100 in cash and still have room to use the card again, she had some dependents she should have been thinking about feeding rather than where she could get her next hit. A lot of food stamp/welfare money goes to drug purchases. A lot of people on welfare have live-in boyfriends or unreported husbands supporting them, some just jump from man to man and have no idea which one is the father of the child they're giving birth to ... another child = more welfare/food stamp money.

I can tell you from a legal secretary's perch and from personal observation that many of these people have "inside" help who approve their benefits even when they know it's a lie. They know how to play the system - and they do it quite well.

define ''a lot''...

1% 5% 10% 60%???? 90%???

i don't do drugs.

this measure is intrusive, and a government over reach...

and you all complained about the health care plan as government over reach?

:rofl:

Sen. Orrin Hatch, a Utah Republican, proposed yesterday that people seeking unemployment benefits or welfare undergo drug tests before they can receive benefits

Hatch suggests such a system would save money and reduce the deficit, presumably by virtue of withholding benefits from those who fail drug tests. His release does not address the costs of drug testing everyone receiving unemployment or welfare benefits or enrolling those who fail the test in treatment programs.

Orrin Hatch Calls For Drug Testing Welfare Recipients - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

image5353562x.jpg

Millions and million of Americans unemployed and Orin Hatch wants to start a "massive expansion" of Federal Government to test these millions and millions of people for drugs.

We would have to set up tens of thousands of labs and staff. It could cost billions. Oh those "fiscally conservative Republicans". Always "thinking".

You are so full of absolute shit....and you wonder why no one takes anything you post seriously.....you fell for it hook, line and sinker. You were duped because you are a sucker and a partisan.
The government already has contracts with several very large drug testing labs for the military, civil service, USCG and anyone with access to classified information who must undergo random drug testing as a condition of employment. They got it down so they can test 10's of thousands in A DAY!!!!
Personally I think Hatch's idea is good....it'll get all you doper motherfuckers to quit spending people's hard earned money on crack, ice, heroin and pot.

Lame post. I would 100% support this idea. And if there was a system that could be implemented to keep those on Food Stamps from using them to buy sugary sodas and potato chips, I would support that too.

You do understand that application of "Lame post" to that of Deanie-weanie is more than redundant...

I like the idea 'a system that could be implemented to keep those on Food Stamps from using them to buy sugary sodas and potato chips.'

On the one hand, it seems at first a fine idea, and could be implemented quite simply: have an aisle with nutritionally acceptable foods, and have food stamps apply only to these items, that aisle.

On the other hand, I have always championed freedom of choice...and suggested education rather than government enforcement.

I'll have to think about it. But good post.
There it is again...The capitulation to the notion that the welfare state program has any business existing in the first place.

or

The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in the insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding.

~Louis D. Brandeis

I certainly get your point. And, generally, accept its rectitude.

But I'd have to be convinced that private charity would do the trick before I could subscribe to the complete elimination of public charity.

"Last year Americans gave $300 billion to charity."
https://www.hillsdale.edu/news/imprimis/archive/issue.asp?year=2010&month=01

That works out to a bit less than $1000 from each American...but I don't know how many are recieiving same, and how much each requires.

And there are folks who require help...

Sen. Orrin Hatch, a Utah Republican, proposed yesterday that people seeking unemployment benefits or welfare undergo drug tests before they can receive benefits

Hatch suggests such a system would save money and reduce the deficit, presumably by virtue of withholding benefits from those who fail drug tests. His release does not address the costs of drug testing everyone receiving unemployment or welfare benefits or enrolling those who fail the test in treatment programs.

Orrin Hatch Calls For Drug Testing Welfare Recipients - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

image5353562x.jpg

Millions and million of Americans unemployed and Orin Hatch wants to start a "massive expansion" of Federal Government to test these millions and millions of people for drugs.

We would have to set up tens of thousands of labs and staff. It could cost billions. Oh those "fiscally conservative Republicans". Always "thinking".

Gee, kinda like in CHINA, where everyone is 'working' for the government, I see it clearly now! :clap2:

I have a friend who failed an on the job breathalizer test. FIRED. She wreaked of alcohol and they nailed her.
Right...They had probable cause.

I'm all for drug testing when there's cause or after an accident, just not at random or as a pre-condition of getting a job....Even then, the value of the drug test is of questionable merit, as they test for metabolites rather than actual concentrations of a given drug in the system.

Not quite....they pre-screen for metabolites and then if they are detected the next test is gas chromatography.

I think you're making stuff up, honey.

a basic average guideline for the food stamp program will show that an average family of 4 can expect an amount up to $500 per month for food stamps. This figure will greatly vary based on the age of the family members and medical needs. A single person household will show an expected average of up to $200 per month. Again, these figures are averages and not state specific.

Hmmm ... I don't think I've ever been called "honey" by anyone on this board. I would not make up stuff.

I've been on food stamps. Many years ago when my children were young and I was a single mom (divorced) and really, really poor - living in a less than desirable neighborhood (one step up from a slum) it was really hard to try to afford to pay everything by myself. I was more blessed than many divorcees in that my ex did pay child support and I could always count on him to step in and deal with the kids on some issues). I decided to see if I could qualify for food stamps - and I did - $25 a month. Back then a good 80% of people on food stamps were black. The program was handled a little differently back then, but I'm white and lived in a poor neighborhood in a very affluent county that chose to believe there were no needy people. They would wait until about an hour before the deadline to tell me I had been approved for the month and I should to get to the bank to purchase the food stamps. Every month I ran around the office borrowing cash from co-workers and racing to the bank before the noon cut-off. After a few months I decided it was just not worth it - the only ACTUAL savings was about $5 a month.

I see it with my former son-in-law. Lives with his girlfriend and her two kids, they get every sort of public assistance they can. She's now on her way to prison - and that jackass calls up my daughter and asks her if he has any rights to this twit's kids? Are you kidding me?! He hasn't paid child support for years for either of the two children that are his own - and he wants to support two kids who aren't his?! He won't hold down a job with an employer because he knows the Child Support people will whack the hell out of paycheck for pay child support. My grandson is being a typical teenager right now and wants to stay with his dad for the summer. Do you think she's going to let that happen? No - because if the ex goes down for welfare fraud she doesn't want them coming after her for repayment - and they would. Her ex grew up this way - it's what his mother did - played the system and he sees nothing wrong with it.

As a legal secretary I saw pro bono cases come through that were no more qualified for legal aid than the Man in the Moon. But they got approved - friends from within. I didn't have to be an attorney to know the paperwork was wrong - and the attorney I worked for was so pissed with the situation that he refused to take any more pro bono work. It's all about playing the system.

I've seen and lot and been through a lot in my lifetime. I know I look on life differently than a lot of people - but I'm not the stupid fat-assed geezer bitch that some people believe I am.

Federal Government shouldnt be involved at all. And any state government which offers welfare should already be drug testing.

But I'd have to be convinced that private charity would do the trick before I could subscribe to the complete elimination of public charity.

That works out to a bit less than $1000 from each American...but I don't know how many are recieiving same, and how much each requires.

The "need" for gubmint charity is grossly overstated, because the bureaucracy consumes something on the order of half of the funds supposedly meant to go to those purported to be in need. After that, people who give to private charity (i.e. food shelves) won't be donating Twinkies and beer.

So you kill two birds with one stone in eliminating federal (if not all) gubmint "charity".

I have a friend who failed an on the job breathalizer test. FIRED. She wreaked of alcohol and they nailed her.

I'm all for drug testing when there's cause or after an accident, just not at random or as a pre-condition of getting a job....Even then, the value of the drug test is of questionable merit, as they test for metabolites rather than actual concentrations of a given drug in the system.

Not quite....they pre-screen for metabolites and then if they are detected the next test is gas chromatography.
If urinalysis is used to show probable cause, gas chromatography is then useless. If I knew I was going to give a hot UA, I'd knock off any and all further indulgence so it wouldn't show up on a GC test.

Besides that, if someone smokes a joint or stuffs some coke in their head on their own time, it's really none of your or my damned business.

If urinalysis is used to show probable cause, gas chromatography is then useless. If I knew I was going to give a hot UA, I'd knock off any and all further indulgence so it wouldn't show up on a GC test.

Besides that, if someone smokes a joint or stuffs some coke in their head on their own time, it's really none of your or my damned business.

That's why the government makes it a "condition" of employment....if you don't want the government knowing your drug habits then seek employment elsewhere...I think the same should go for receiving government assistance. If you want taxpayer money from the government for "subsistence" you better not be spending it on drugs.

That's why the government makes it a "condition" of employment....if you don't want the government knowing your drug habits then seek employment elsewhere...I think the same should go for receiving government assistance. If you want taxpayer money from the government for "subsistence" you better not be spending it on drugs.
There, again, you're accepting the premises that it's any of their business and that the programs have any business existing....Which it isn't and they don't.

The "need" for gubmint charity is grossly overstated, because the bureaucracy consumes something on the order of half of the funds supposedly meant to go to those purported to be in need. After that, people who give to private charity (i.e. food shelves) won't be donating Twinkies and beer.

So you kill two birds with one stone in eliminating federal (if not all) gubmint "charity".

I understand your point, as verified by:
Food Stamps. This welfare program is a target for fraud because it is so large and complex. The government must keep track of millions of individuals to accurately document their eligibility while keeping tabs on the 160,000 retailers who deal in food stamps to look for illegal trafficking. In the past, the program spawned a huge black market as recipients exchanged their food stamps for cash on the street. Today, food stamps are issued on electronic cards, and fraud levels have been reduced. Nonetheless, the program’s improper payment rate is still about 6 percent, costing taxpayers about $1.7 billion annually.

School Lunches. A large share of subsidized school meals are taken by families with incomes above the legal cutoff points. Program audits and statistical data have found that about one-quarter of those receiving free and reduced-cost lunches are not eligible.64 Those unjustified benefits cost taxpayers about $1.4 billion annually.

• Child Care programs. The federal child care, foster care, and Head Start programs pay out about $900 million in improper and fraudulent benefits annually.
• Temporary Assistance for Needy Families. This program pays out $1.7 billion annually in improper and fraudulent benefits.

Fraud and Abuse in Federal Programs | Downsizing the Federal Government

But the question is the numbers and level of need.

According to the US Census Bureau, 35.9 million people live below the poverty line in America, including 12.9 million children.
Current levels of private charity would provide about $8300/per person.

Is this satisfactory?
What are the various levels of need? The eldely, the incapacitated, will it cover food, housing, necessities...

Forum List

Back