Republican crooks claim Coal Ash is not Toxic

Ethylene oxide is not present is a separate phase in cosmetics. Moreover, ethylene oxide is also used to make vitamin B12.

PAHs are a primary constituent of diesel fuel. Are you going to promote banning the use of diesel fuel?

I can go through that entire list, if you like.

How much more stupid can you get?
Ethyleneoxide or any other toxin does not have to be present as a seperate phase to be toxic, you idiot !
It`s not used to MAKE vitamin B1, its used as a sterilizer for the raw material before vitamins are extracted.
On contact it will even destroy B vitamins

PAHs are a primary constituent of diesel fuel. Are you going to promote banning the use of diesel fuel?
Nobody I know uses Diesel fuel as a body lotion

I didn't say it was used to make vitamin B1. It is used to make vitamin B12. I know this because my twin brother used to work for a company that made it using ethylene oxide, trimethylamine, and HCl. In fact, that company was one of only two that were making it when he worked there. Unfortunately, that company was bought out in a hostile takeover, and the people who bought it ran it into the ground, and it went belly up.

Nobody I know claimed that diesel fuel is used as a body lotion, so - straw man argument.

The "1" behind the B was a typo,...I had it at B12 and moused over the 12 to delete it because ethylene oxide destroys all of the vitamin B`s not just B12! I did not notice that the cursor wasn`t over the "1" when I tried to delete the "12".
Neither one of the compounds you mentioned are used in "making" B12

I know this because my twin brother used to work for a company that made it using ethylene oxide, trimethylamine, and HCl.
You don`t know shit about chemistry do you?

TMA is just a solvent that we use when we need a higher polarity than Methanol. And The HCL is only used to get the Amine Hydro Chloride when we need to do a large scale Amine separation.

Nobody "makes" B12 as in "making" it using "using ethylene oxide, trimethylamine, and HCl."
This is how it`s done:
Microbial Production of Vitamin B12
Microbial production of vitamin B12

Microbial synthesis is the only source of commercial production of vitamin B12. There is no other source or synthetic method known that produce B12 vitamin. Vitamin B12 is produced during normal microbial metabolism.

If I would have written that article I would have specified "There is no other COMMERCIAL SCALE source or synthetic method known that produce B12 vitamin."
Because it can be made on a Laboratory scale in small amounts entirely synthetically...at a huge expense
Vitamin B12 total synthesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know this not because my brother worked in a company that was trying to make B12, I know this because I`m a Chemist and organic synthesis is how I made my living during the first part of my career.

I guess next they will pass a bill claiming up is down.

Exactly what is hysterical or unreasonable about my post?

And you have to ask???

Those of you who love coal dust so much should ask for it to be dumped in your back yard. Makes a nice place for the kids to play.... Coal is very clean. Black lung disease was just a whiny bunch of very overpaid miners trying to work the system. The list goes on. PVC is perfectly safe too. Lets dump the waste into our water ways.

If you understood anything about science, you would know ashes are made up of chemicals. And high levels of mercury, arsenic, etc. are harmful.

It's 99.999% inert material. It has higher concentrations of certain toxic substances. That doesn't make it "hazardous waste." Do you want your children to play in it? No, obviously not. However, that doesn't mean it needs to be treated the same PCBs.

If your claim were true, then human sewage would have to be treated as hazardous waste, and every city in the country would have to be shut down.

I see you don't understand basic chemistry either.

Ash is not an "inert material." It will react with other substances.

Sewage is treated as hazardous waste.

No, sewage is not treated as hazardous waste. If it was, the EPA would never allow any treatment plant to dump treated water into a river. All sewage would have to be deposited in specially designed clay lined and membrane lined containment pits and then covered with clay, membrane and soil.

Last edited:
Certainly not possible to gurantee that heavy metals, or other toxins arent present in treated sewage..

erego it ends up on food crops thru recycling or in the rivers.. I trust they monitor and test..

How much more stupid can you get?
Ethyleneoxide or any other toxin does not have to be present as a seperate phase to be toxic, you idiot !
It`s not used to MAKE vitamin B1, its used as a sterilizer for the raw material before vitamins are extracted.
On contact it will even destroy B vitamins

Nobody I know uses Diesel fuel as a body lotion

I didn't say it was used to make vitamin B1. It is used to make vitamin B12. I know this because my twin brother used to work for a company that made it using ethylene oxide, trimethylamine, and HCl. In fact, that company was one of only two that were making it when he worked there. Unfortunately, that company was bought out in a hostile takeover, and the people who bought it ran it into the ground, and it went belly up.

Nobody I know claimed that diesel fuel is used as a body lotion, so - straw man argument.

The "1" behind the B was a typo,...I had it at B12 and moused over the 12 to delete it because ethylene oxide destroys all of the vitamin B`s not just B12! I did not notice that the cursor wasn`t over the "1" when I tried to delete the "12".
Neither one of the compounds you mentioned are used in "making" B12

I know this because my twin brother used to work for a company that made it using ethylene oxide, trimethylamine, and HCl.
You don`t know shit about chemistry do you?

TMA is just a solvent that we use when we need a higher polarity than Methanol. And The HCL is only used to get the Amine Hydro Chloride when we need to do a large scale Amine separation.

Nobody "makes" B12 as in "making" it using "using ethylene oxide, trimethylamine, and HCl."
This is how it`s done:
Microbial Production of Vitamin B12
Microbial production of vitamin B12

Microbial synthesis is the only source of commercial production of vitamin B12. There is no other source or synthetic method known that produce B12 vitamin. Vitamin B12 is produced during normal microbial metabolism.

If I would have written that article I would have specified "There is no other COMMERCIAL SCALE source or synthetic method known that produce B12 vitamin."
Because it can be made on a Laboratory scale in small amounts entirely synthetically...at a huge expense
Vitamin B12 total synthesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know this not because my brother worked in a company that was trying to make B12, I know this because I`m a Chemist and organic synthesis is how I made my living during the first part of my career.

What Bioproducts made was choline chloride (which is a Vitamin of the B complex), which is produced from ethylene oxide, hydrochloric acid, and trimethylamine. The company that made it was called bioproducts. They are now out of business, but another company now uses that name.

Choline chloride - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Choline Chloride

Coal ash is toxic. It is harming the environment and adversely affecting the health of many Americans. It needs to be controlled. If the material can be recycled while maintaining safe controls and eliminating toxic exposure to the public, fine.

If not, safety takes priority over profits.

Or does anyone here think those two should go the other way round?

Coal ash is toxic. It is harming the environment and adversely affecting the health of many Americans. It needs to be controlled. If the material can be recycled while maintaining safe controls and eliminating toxic exposure to the public, fine.

Obviously some do. But then, morality was never their strong suit.

When you can demonstrate that anyone's health has been affected, then perhaps we might bother listening to this hysteria. Coal ash is no more dangerous than the waste treated by sewage plants.

When you can demonstrate that anyone's health has been affected, then perhaps we might bother listening to this hysteria. Coal ash is no more dangerous than the waste treated by sewage plants.

Are you denying that arsenic, lead, mercury, cadmium, and uranium are toxic? Are you suggesting that the way to mitigate a danger to the public is to wait until the public is actually harmed? You must be one of those guys who decides to wait until three people die at a hazardous intersection before you decide to install a traffic light.

Last edited:
Sounds like the company has done an incredibly poor job of taking care of this stuff. Now, some may say the river is fine, but no way would I let my kids swim in that sludge pit.

"When you can demonstrate that anyone's health has been affected, then perhaps we might bother listening to this hysteria. Coal ash is no more dangerous than the waste treated by sewage plants."

So are you condoning the spillage? Is that Ok with you? Just wondering. The company obviously failed miserably in containing this stuff(no surprise) and some would simply say that's part of doing business. Why is this company so unimaginably inept as to let this happen?

Just imagine how bad things are in China. The people aren't paid much to be slaves in those factories and you can't safely breathe the air when you actually get out of one of those prisons, I mean factories. Thank god for some standards. Some think China is a good economic model. They have no idea.

When faced with a debate more complex than you imagined ---- remember to periodically re--assert your pre programmed beliefs.. Least you might be tempted to reweigh your position or G--forbid learn something.....:eusa_angel:

When faced with a debate more complex than you imagined ---- remember to periodically re--assert your pre programmed beliefs.. Least you might be tempted to reweigh your position or G--forbid learn something.....:eusa_angel:

You think safety above profits is a "pre-programmed belief"? Can I take it, then, that you rate them the other way round; profits above safety?

You think safety above profits is a "pre-programmed belief"? Can I take it, then, that you rate them the other way round; profits above safety?

Your focus on profits shows that you don't understand ALL of the motivations of capitalism and how free markets are perverted by govt..

Those utilities don't sweat profits. They come naturally. Because their profits are regulated by govt and they have monopolies over much of the generation.. Make it more expensive for them? Almost impossible. Because the costs will be passed to the customers. LEGALLY blessed by the public boards. They are motivated to be green because they are in a position to suck up the majority of the subsidy candy that's being offered.

And as for companies NOT in the utility sector --- they spend more on being percieved as green than they spend on lobbying.. There IS a price on everything. INCLUDING your reputation.. And that's a good thing..

Guess you missed the part where I pointed out the largest ever Coal Ash disaster was attributed to my local TVA cartel.. A GOVERNMENT created and managed authority that has some of the oldest most polluting equipment in this nation.. Go sit quietly and calculate THEIR profit motive for us -- would ya????

Last edited:

Forum List

Back