Rep. Peter King Calls For Arrest Of Glenn Greenwald - Do you agree?

Should Glenn Greenwald be arrested?

• Total voters
If he really is for transparency he should come back and be transparent.

Except that citizens have the right to privacy, whereas governments do not.
Not when they commit a crime, they don't. But that really doesn't matter, if he is for transparency he should come back and be transparent. He wants the American people to decide....well, we can't if he doesn't come clean.

Well the point I would make there, and this is obviously just an opinion, is that it should not be a crime to expose crimes, which is what he did.

Regardless, the American people can decide whether he's in Hong Kong or the U.S., so what does it matter?

I agree that if he hasn't exposed a crime, then it isn't a crime. It's just posturing.

If he stays in Hong Kong he's hiding.

I agree that if he hasn't exposed a crime, then it isn't a crime. It's just posturing.

He's hiding from the U.S. government, not from the American people. If your claim is that you want the American people to decide, as you hinted, then it doesn't matter where he is. The U.S. government, on the other hand, would probably like to put him in a hole like they did Bradley Manning.

Appearing on Fox News’ America Live this afternoon, Rep. Peter King (R-NY) called for the prosecution of Guardian journalist Glenn Greenwald for his reporting on the classified National Security Agency information given to him by whistleblower Edward Snowden. The Republican congressman also likened Greenwald’s reporting to a hypothetical situation wherein World War II-era reporters had revealed the time and date of the so-called “D-Day” invasion, suggesting he believes the Guardian reporting is tantamount to treason.

“Not only did [Greenwald] disclose this information, he said he has names of CIA agents and assets around the world and threatening to disclose that,” King said when asked by host Megyn Kelly why he wants to prosecute the reporter. “I think [prosecuting reporters] should be very targeted and very selective and a rare exception. In this case, when you have someone who discloses secrets like this and threatens to release more, yes, there has to be legal action taken against him.”

Rep. Peter King Calls For Arrest Of Glenn Greenwald: Freedom Of Press ?Cherished,? But ?No Right Is Absolute? | Mediaite

I personally think Peter King has lost his mind on this one, but do you think Glenn Greenwald should be targeted for his reporting?
Definitely not!

Glenn Greenwald is an important voice on the American political scene. It's too bad he doesn't have more exposure.

He's not "hiding." That's what government calls it. He's avoiding being tossed into prison. And whether or not he's done something counterproductive to the interests of the American People will depend on exactly what he's revealed.

Appearing on Fox News’ America Live this afternoon, Rep. Peter King (R-NY) called for the prosecution of Guardian journalist Glenn Greenwald for his reporting on the classified National Security Agency information given to him by whistleblower Edward Snowden. The Republican congressman also likened Greenwald’s reporting to a hypothetical situation wherein World War II-era reporters had revealed the time and date of the so-called “D-Day” invasion, suggesting he believes the Guardian reporting is tantamount to treason.

“Not only did [Greenwald] disclose this information, he said he has names of CIA agents and assets around the world and threatening to disclose that,” King said when asked by host Megyn Kelly why he wants to prosecute the reporter. “I think [prosecuting reporters] should be very targeted and very selective and a rare exception. In this case, when you have someone who discloses secrets like this and threatens to release more, yes, there has to be legal action taken against him.”

Rep. Peter King Calls For Arrest Of Glenn Greenwald: Freedom Of Press ?Cherished,? But ?No Right Is Absolute? | Mediaite

I personally think Peter King has lost his mind on this one, but do you think Glenn Greenwald should be targeted for his reporting?
Definitely not!

Glenn Greenwald is an important voice on the American political scene. It's too bad he doesn't have more exposure.

Well I suppose more exposure wouldn't be a bad thing for Greenwald, but I've never found myself thinking he had a lack of exposure. I'd say he's a rather prominent voice, and has quite a diverse following. He's certainly one of my favorite columnists as I've read him daily for quite a while now.

No idea who Greenwald is, but the United States benefits from people like him, and from people like his source. He may become another acceptable loss in the war for freedom from unreasonable government behavior.

Postmodern (fake) liberals have always been about three drinks from a fling with fascism. Obama has probably taken Bush League law into those waters.

I voted yes just because it would be a big boon to the freedom movement. Greenwald is a smart cookie and will make them look like complete stooges if they do.

You really should take the time to read "Three Felonies a Day."

I voted yes just because it would be a big boon to the freedom movement. Greenwald is a smart cookie and will make them look like complete stooges if they do.

Well, you're not wrong.

No shit.

Except that citizens have the right to privacy, whereas governments do not.
Not when they commit a crime, they don't. But that really doesn't matter, if he is for transparency he should come back and be transparent. He wants the American people to decide....well, we can't if he doesn't come clean.

That is not true. If you commit a crime, and the government has evidence of it, they can look through your stuff for evidence of that crime, but they cannot simply look through everything you own for kicks.

No political risk in calling for the arrest of a Brit. Let's see congressman King call for the arrest of the US Attorney General.

If an investigation warrants, Snowden should indeed be arrested.

If he wasn't for it he could have disappeared, and not come out in public.

Moreover, if he wanted to actually harm the U.S. government he could have sold this information, including all of the specifics that the Guardian and Washington Post left out of their reporting, to interested parties anywhere in the world.

Forum List

Back