Remembering the American Civil War through one Irish family’s story

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
Charles Reilly was one of approximately 200,000 Irish-born men who fought in the American Civil War. His son Anthony was one of the tens of thousands more who were just as much a part of the Irish-American story, those born in the United States to Irish parents. The Reilly’s first cross the pages of history in the Ireland of the 1840s, when Charles and his wife Marcella decided to take the emigrant boat.

No doubt hoping for a better life, they eventually settled in the city of Auburn, New York, where Charles got work as a labourer. By 1861, the year the American Civil War broke out, the couple had settled in the city’s First Ward, along with their five children; Anthony, then 16, 13-year-old Mary, 7-year-old Ann, 5-year-old Charles, and newborn baby James.

Column Remembering the American Civil War through one Irish family 8217 s story

Pedestrianism Principality: Prose

"During the American Civil War, a Virginia woman named Ruth Getty disguised herself as a man and, in the spirit of Joan of Arc, enlisted in the Union Army to fight the anti-slavery cause against the stubborn Confederates. Her battlefield achievements were impressive and before she was killed in battle, she managed to accomplish what she set out to do --- give the Union soldiers a real boost with the proverbial rifle."

This type of story is what makes lessons about the American Civil War feel closer to everyday conscious populism.

I remember reading a book in college about an Irish freelance journalist-writer traveling to Belfast to interview families involved with the controversial Irish Republican Army and discovering that social values were mixed with pedestrianism storytelling, which makes me appreciate the social appeal of American gender-idealization vigilantism-contemplation comic book characters such as Catwoman (DC Comics), a rogue female 'maniac cop' who stirs ideas about 'optimistic upstarts.'

:afro:

Rosa Parks - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

graffiti.jpg

My Papa's side of the family were Germans and refused to take sides and get involved in the Civil War....They lived in Ohio and the community didn't take to kindly to claiming neutrality, so they ran them out of Ohio..They ended up in Texass since it was already out of the war early and that is where my Papa was born...in 1896..
Every generation we reprint the family history...It's my turn now....After my Mother passes..

Forum List

Back