Religions should be tax-exempt.

Unless you don't file 501 status. Churches don't need to file 501 to be tax free.
By default, the US government considers churches to be 501(c)(3) organizations automatically, simply by virtue of existing. That is true regardless of corporate structure or lack thereof.

For that reason alone, a church (generally) is a 501(c)(3).

So regardless of whether a church filed for 501c3 status or not, they must still comply with the restriction to not endorse candidates to maintain their tax exempt status.

Unless of course they want to no longer be recognized as 501c3. Which is an option. They can choose to be taxed like for profit businesses.

Nobody seems to care that elitist mogul George Soros propaganda machine, Media Matters, that monitors (only) conservative speech is tax exempt.

The purpose of the 501c tax emption is for social education, like a museum, historical society, reenactment, etc.
Campaigning is not a valid tax free endeavor.

If a religious group starts to campaign instead of promoting a bipartisan religion, then they must be taxed, or else the government would be aiding a particular party.

By default, the US government considers churches to be 501(c)(3) organizations automatically, simply by virtue of existing. That is true regardless of corporate structure or lack thereof.

For that reason alone, a church (generally) is a 501(c)(3).

If a church's primary reason for existence is spiritual work, it can engage in whatever political activity it chooses, and still remain tax free, and THAT is a fact.

When LBJ created the whole 501c ruse, it was an election year stunt to try to oppress religious year activity of the conservative right. It was blatantly unconstitutional.

And NO ONE takes that shit seriously anymore, especially the IRS. Because it was THEN, and is still NOW, UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

They only keep it around, to prevent large amounts of Dark Money from flowing into the system through religious charities. THAT IS ALL.

shutterstock_1800289900-1200x500.jpg

1670120841312.png

If a church's primary reason for existence is spiritual work, it can engage in whatever political activity it chooses, and still remain tax free, and THAT is a fact.

When LBJ created the whole 501c ruse, it was an election year stunt to try to oppress religious year activity of the conservative right. It was blatantly unconstitutional.

And NO ONE takes that shit seriously anymore, especially the IRS. Because it was THEN, and is still NOW, UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

They only keep it around, to prevent large amounts of Dark Money from flowing into the system through religious charities. THAT IS ALL.

shutterstock_1800289900-1200x500.jpg

View attachment 734337
Incorrect. They cannot endorse political candidates and remain tax exempt. End of story.

“…501(c)(3) organizations do have some limits on activity, especially where it involves campaigns for public office, as well as commercial activities. A tiny handful of churches have given up 501(c)(3) status, along with its tax-exemption and privileges, and the ability to have donors give tax-deductibly, in order to do and say whatever they choose without regard to limits otherwise placed on charities…”

The history of "separation of church and state" goes back to the FDR administration. FDR nominated a former KKK member to the Supreme Court and Justice Black paid FDR back by writing the majority opinion that justified the notorious E.O. 9066 that incarcerated American citizens without due process. Later on in the late 40's the former KKK member, Justice Black would find a concept that did not exist in the Constitution to create the "Separation of Church and State" that mostly democrats have expanded through the years to punish Christians.

No you don't.
“…501(c)(3) organizations do have some limits on activity, especially where it involves campaigns for public office, as well as commercial activities. A tiny handful of churches have given up 501(c)(3) status, along with its tax-exemption and privileges, and the ability to have donors give tax-deductibly, in order to do and say whatever they choose without regard to limits otherwise placed on charities…”

Incorrect. They cannot endorse political candidates and remain tax exempt. End of story.

Christian churches are nearly always good for the community, often providing assistance to the needy. The Catholic Church is the most charitable organization on earth. They are worth tax exemptions for the good of the community ten times over.

The only reason to push taxes onto them is to be either oblivious to what they provide or just hate them (or both).

Is there a specific point you are trying to make?
You can tell me that Marijuana is against the law federally to possess or smoke in California, and even link and show me the law ding. . .

. . .but I will laugh at you, and tell you that you are not living in reality.

You can tell me that Marijuana is against the law federally to possess or smoke in California, and even link and show me the law ding. . .

. . .but I will laugh at you, and tell you that you are not living in reality.
That has nothing to do with what we are discussing. It doesn’t change the fact churches cannot endorse candidates and maintain their tax exempt status.

That has nothing to do with what we are discussing. It doesn’t change the fact churches cannot endorse candidates and maintain their tax exempt status.
It is an analogy to try to get through to your thick skull, the difference between de facto reality, and de jure laws. I shouldn't be surprised you didn't get it though. And you are right, it doesn't change the fact that Tree "can't," engage in the business that he does, but he does. :rolleyes:

If no one enforces law that was put in place for purely partisan and political reasons? The churches can do whatever they please. And they should be able to, and they do.

The only reason those laws haven't been repealed? As I have given you links to, is to keep massive amounts of dark money out of the system.

Now, if you choose to remain in denial of these facts? That is on you.

It is clear you do not understand the history of why those laws were put there in the first place back in the 1950's, or why they are allowed to remain, on the books, as they are.

And, it is becoming apparent, you do not understand the difference between de jure law, and de facto reality. I had given examples of those to, but it is apparent, you do not care about that either.

It is de facto, that Churches can say, and do, whatever the hell they want, despite the de jure law, on the books.

I am done with your nonsense now.

It is an analogy to try to get through to your thick skull, the difference between de facto reality, and de jure laws. I shouldn't be surprised you didn't get it though. And you are right, it doesn't change the fact that Tree "can't," engage in the business that he does, but he does. :rolleyes:

If no one enforces law that was put in place for purely partisan and political reasons? The churches can do whatever they please. And they should be able to, and they do.

The only reason those laws haven't been repealed? As I have given you links to, is to keep massive amounts of dark money out of the system.

Now, if you choose to remain in denial of these facts? That is on you.

It is clear you do not understand the history of why those laws were put there in the first place back in the 1950's, or why they are allowed to remain, on the books, as they are.

And, it is becoming apparent, you do not understand the difference between de jure law, and de facto reality. I had given examples of those to, but it is apparent, you do not care about that either.

It is de facto, that Churches can say, and do, whatever the hell they want, despite the de jure law, on the books.

I am done with your nonsense now.

There’s no ambiguity on the restriction of not endorsing political candidates to maintain 401c3 tax exemption status for churches. None. Zero. Nada.

Religions should not have to jump through the latest political correctness hoops to keep their tax-exempt status.

If they're a business, and most of them are, then they should NOT have tax exempt status.

If the people running them are making money, and spending it on lavish lifestyles, definitely not.

Religions should not have to jump through the latest political correctness hoops to keep their tax-exempt status.

Religions are exempt
Always have been
Yeah, but in the good past, preachers could speak their political minds without fearing the loss of their tax-exompy status.

That's how this country was founded. You ever hear that story about that one preacher? The one with 2 pistols?
I'm not up for it right now, but yes he was a big, strong man, and yes he fought in The American Revolution.
There's a joke in there somewhere I won't be telling tonight.

Forum List

Back