Religion: The Driving Force Behind Human Civilization

I know your claim is that “more people have been killed by secular humanists than all the religions throughout history, combined”, you just never supplied any data to support that claim. What I supplied earlier was an extensive, but not exhaustive list that contradicts your claim.

I’ve never been aware of any killing done under the banner of “secular humanism”. On the other hand, “God is on our side”, is a slogan often used to whip an armed force into believing their killing is justified. .

Lol, and no one has killed anyone under a banner labeled 'Religion' either, genius.

No, the secular humanists are a small subgroup of non religious who have slaughtered people for their own reasons; lust for conquest, lust for power, enslavement to foolish ideologies, etc. No one called it 'Secular Humanism', but that is what it was, lolol.

You should take some time to learn history.

I have forgotten more history than you will ever know dear.

Christianity might have crapped out if it hadn't been for Constantine winning his campaigns after having a "vision" to slap a cross on the shields of his infantry. There's that dynamic again though -- Constantine wants to be victorious, so he boosts the morale of his men by citing a fierce god will give them victory under "H"is name, and when they win, it seems the prophecy is upheld. Now that entire empire, safe and a lot richer, has a vested interest in being adherents to the religion that won the day. "lolol"

So what?

No one is arguing that the history of Christianity is free of bloodshed or that it has had no exploitative leadership who have done other harm.

The point is quite singular; Secularists have killed far more people in the name of secular causes and ideologies than the sum total of all religious causes combined.

Nothing you quoted about Constantine changes any of that.

Lol, and no one has killed anyone under a banner labeled 'Religion' either, genius.

No, the secular humanists are a small subgroup of non religious who have slaughtered people for their own reasons; lust for conquest, lust for power, enslavement to foolish ideologies, etc. No one called it 'Secular Humanism', but that is what it was, lolol.

I have forgotten more history than you will ever know dear.
I doubt that. Aside from bluster and the persona of a swaggering teenager who just drank his first six pack, you offered nothing.

Christianity might have crapped out if it hadn't been for Constantine winning his campaigns after having a "vision" to slap a cross on the shields of his infantry. There's that dynamic again though -- Constantine wants to be victorious, so he boosts the morale of his men by citing a fierce god will give them victory under "H"is name, and when they win, it seems the prophecy is upheld. Now that entire empire, safe and a lot richer, has a vested interest in being adherents to the religion that won the day. "lolol"

So what?

No one is arguing that the history of Christianity is free of bloodshed or that it has had no exploitative leadership who have done other harm.

The point is quite singular; Secularists have killed far more people in the name of secular causes and ideologies than the sum total of all religious causes combined.

You made no point "quite singular". What you offered was a lot of blustering "because I say so", nonsense.

You might have offered a coherent argument by actually addressing the data I offered. But of course, you didn't.

IN fact, I have. Perhaps you should use your Internet search engine and explore the issue.

You might want to consider doing exactly that.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/7040768-post267.html
False premise.

I never claimed it.

I said more people have been killed by secular humanists than all the religions throughout history, combined.

And I am right. The number of killed by secular governments are staggering when compared to all other motives for war and killing.

That is nice hearsay, got anything to back that up?

Actually rdean, it was the Christian monks and the jewish Rabbi's who were the scientists in medieval Europe lead the people out of the Dark Ages. ... :cool:

Actually it was Islamic science that helped the Christians in the medieval era re-establish the lost art of science and philosophy of the ancients after it was lost with the fall of western Roman empire.
These contacts with the Muslims was established by the traders in the Mediterranean era, up to the time of the crusades which totally screwed up the exchange of commerce and science.

I doubt that. Aside from bluster and the persona of a swaggering teenager who just drank his first six pack, you offered nothing.

Yes, I did, fool. I pointed out that the secular causes of deaths by war of the 20th century and the Mongol conquests far out number the deaths of ALL PREVIOUS WARS, and tossed in Mao's slaughterings for added fluff.

Apparently you missed that one, dumbshiht.

So what?

You made no point "quite singular". What you offered was a lot of blustering "because I say so", nonsense.

WTF? You cant et a rough estimate of the total war deaths of the tw world wars, or you are just too lazy or what?

Why don't you go play with your dolls and leave the discussion to adults who can actually handle numbers? fucking twat.

You might have offered a coherent argument by actually addressing the data I offered. But of course, you didn't.

You not grasping my point doesn't mean I didnt make one, bitch.

Yes, I did, fool. I pointed out that the secular causes of deaths by war of the 20th century and the Mongol conquests far out number the deaths of ALL PREVIOUS WARS, and tossed in Mao's slaughterings for added fluff.

Ah, jim-bob, so basically, you're befuddled and aside from bluster, you can't defend your argument.

WTF? You cant et a rough estimate of the total war deaths of the tw world wars, or you are just too lazy or what?

Why don't you go play with your dolls and leave the discussion to adults who can actually handle numbers? fucking twat.
Such a sprightly lexicon when intellect fails.

The issue being you made no point, offered no data to support your claim and lacking a bit of tact, you're forced to flail around like a petulant child.

Ah, jim-bob, so basically, you're befuddled and aside from bluster, you can't defend your argument.

The issue being you made no point, offered no data to support your claim and lacking a bit of tact, you're forced to flail around like a petulant child.

"Yes, I did, fool. I pointed out that the secular causes of deaths by war of the 20th century and the Mongol conquests far out number the deaths of ALL PREVIOUS WARS, and tossed in Mao's slaughterings for added fluff. "

Just because you ignore it doesn't mean the response and the data are not given.

Lol, but I enjoy the way idiots like you display their idiocy for the world to see; it kills the libtard brand each and every time just a little more.

"Yes, I did, fool. I pointed out that the secular causes of deaths by war of the 20th century and the Mongol conquests far out number the deaths of ALL PREVIOUS WARS, and tossed in Mao's slaughterings for added fluff. "

Just because you ignore it doesn't mean the response and the data are not given.

Lol, but I enjoy the way idiots like you display their idiocy for the world to see; it kills the libtard brand each and every time just a little more.

I'm not at all impressed with blustering "because I say so", swill.

Your lack of ability to provide any identifiable data is only defended with a cranky foul mouth.

Your lack of ability to provide any identifiable data is only defended with a cranky foul mouth.

Lol, you did it again.

Analogy:

Person A; can you give me any data that plagues really exist?

Person B; of course, there's the Black Plague, the Spanish Flu....

Person A; but you haven't given me any data yet.

Person B: I just did. I said the Black Plauge....

Persona A; still no data.

roflmao.

Do you seriously think that the killings from the secular wars of the 20tth century were surpassed by all the prior wars? If not then you have your data, if so then you are an idiot.

RELIGION was certainly one of the tools of group cohesion

But as religions existed Loooooooooooooooong before cities, this argument is tad overstated.

I would venture to say that more people have died in the name of religion than all the wars combined (some of which were caused by religious differences).
I'm afraid you would be wrong about that.

Religion since the beginning of recorded history might....might.....account for 1 million.

You are quite wrong. In the Protestant v Catholic Thirty Years War, 1618-1648, alone many, many more than a million died. And in relation to the size of the then population a higher proportion died than in, say, WWII. German States lost between 25% and 40% of their population.

Lol, you did it again.

Analogy:

roflmao.

Do you seriously think that the killings from the secular wars of the 20tth century were surpassed by all the prior wars? If not then you have your data, if so then you are an idiot.

A lot of "lol'ing" doesn't support an argument you can't defennd.

Sorry about your inability to defend your argument. You have now tried to revise your argument with terms such as "secular wars".

I gave you data showing that religion actually "wins" in the body count where war and conquest had religious underpinnings.

You utterly failed to provide any support for your claim.

I would venture to say that more people have died in the name of religion than all the wars combined (some of which were caused by religious differences).
I'm afraid you would be wrong about that.

Religion since the beginning of recorded history might....might.....account for 1 million.

You are quite wrong. In the Protestant v Catholic Thirty Years War, 1618-1648, alone many, many more than a million died. And in relation to the size of the then population a higher proportion died than in, say, WWII. German States lost between 25% and 40% of their population.

Don't be so sure.

List of wars and anthropogenic disasters by death toll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

122,000,000 have died from the 13 secular wars higher in casualties than the 30 years War's 3,000,000, and that is using the LOW estimate.

Another 7,000,000 follow it from secular war deaths before you get to the French Revolution Wars of Religion and most of that were secularists slaughtering Catholics.

It is clear that there is no comparison; secularists love to kill people especially innocent people, by any means necesary.

Lol, you did it again.

Analogy:

roflmao.

A lot of "lol'ing" doesn't support an argument you can't defennd.

Sorry about your inability to defend your argument. You have now tried to revise your argument with terms such as "secular wars".

I gave you data showing that religion actually "wins" in the body count where war and conquest had religious underpinnings.

You utterly failed to provide any support for your claim.

I have already defended it and any reader can see that.

You are like a child covering their eyes and thinking that makes the bad thing go away.

Well, the facts and reasons I have given are still there, tootsie.

Ignore it all you want but it only makes you look like an ass.

“Should the lamp of religion be obscured,” Bahá’u’lláh explained, “chaos and confusion will ensue, and the lights of fairness and justice, of tranquility and peace cease to shine.”

"On October 12, at the Temple Emanu-El in San Francisco, ‘Abdu’l-Bahá put religion to the test. He asked the congregation to help him consider the record of religion, to see whether it is “the animating impulse of all human advancement,” or “a detriment and a source of degradation to mankind.” They would go to the source — to the founders of religion — to “review the story of Their lives, compare the conditions preceding Their appearance with those subsequent to Their departure.”

"‘Abdu’l-Bahá outlined the central events of Jewish history. He emphasized the four hundred years of slavery the Jews suffered at the hands of the Egyptians before Moses led them from captivity.

“When a movement fundamentally religious makes a weak nation strong,” he argued, “changes a nondescript tribal people into a mighty and powerful civilization, rescues them from captivity and elevates them to sovereignty, transforms their ignorance into knowledge and endows them with an impetus of advancement in all degrees of development . . . it becomes evident that religion is the cause of man’s attainment to honor and sublimity

Religion: The Driving Force Behind Human Civilization

So...it wasn't agriculture, surpluses, specialized jobs, the rise of the cities, and technology?

Lesser factors, fool.

Oh really? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

But as religions existed Loooooooooooooooong before cities, this argument is tad overstated.

Yep...religion is not a requirement for civilization to develop....food surpluses, specialized jobs, complex cities and institutions, and technology are.

Last edited:
Religion was one of the glues that brought people together into cultures of like minded people.

Religions existed BEFORE cities, ergo before civilization. There is plenty of evidence of religious behaviors in Neandethals and well as early man, too

But to suggest that religion and religion alone CAUSED civilization is a hell of a stretch, and one that is mostly I suspect wishful thinking.

Everything that happened in history lead us to the state of today.

Trying to parce out one facet of mankind and say that dominates and is casual?

That's just not provable, if its not also wrong.

Remember, in many place and many cultures religion WAS government.

So what you people think when you say religion and what other cultures of past thought about it are not remotely the same.

Last edited:

Yep...religion is not a requirement for civilization to develop....food surpluses, specialized jobs, complex cities and institutions, and technology is.

True. And after civilisation has reached a certain point religion is a but a brake on its further progress.

Yep...religion is not a requirement for civilization to develop....food surpluses, specialized jobs, complex cities and institutions, and technology are.

No, they are not.

Show me one society that developed without a religion, crackwhore.

Forum List

Back