Reliable Cars

we have 3 toyotas & i personally drive a 2007 prius. the only thing that has been replaced was the conventional battery & tires. the other 2 are a 2007 scion & a 2010 tacoma pick up. all still run great with no major repairs or body rust. their ages should tell you how reliable they are.

i understand that most owners of prius' are repeat customers. i know i will be.

I've driven 3 brand new Toyotas..........2 that were brand new rentals (I was the first person to rent them)..........1 that was from a dealership. Two of them rattled and squeaked SO LOUD I couldn't hear the salesman talking to me from the back seat. The other one sounded like everything inside the dashboard was banging around freely.

ANY vehicle will last as long as it's taken care of properly. Most people have no clue what it takes, to take proper care of any vehicle.

My 2007 VW GTI has been very reliable. When there was a sudden heavy hail storm, I couldn't move my car into the barn at first 'cause I couldn't see anything. The result - not a dent. The same storm destroyed my neighbor's Honda. My late husband liked Japanese cars, but when I bought my own car, I chose the GTI 'cause in the '70s I had a VW Rabbit. One night I had a head-on collision with a drunk driving a '68 Mercury fast and out of control. My Rabbit's safety features did what they were supposed to: The engine went under, the steering wheel didn't crush the driver, the windshield was safety glass, the automatic seat belts held us in place. We walked away uninjured unlike those in the Mercury. When I went to see my car where it was towed, the owner of the place said, "I must be looking at a ghost!"

Here´s a new report, based in user experience. No German brands on the top.

Amazing how the Japanese have held on to the most reliable car moniker for so many years.

American cars are good but they cost as much as Japanese cars and they don't last quite as long. The only reason to buy American is for patriotic reasons and that makes me sad.

Amazing how the Japanese have held on to the most reliable car moniker for so many years.

American cars are good but they cost as much as Japanese cars and they don't last quite as long. The only reason to buy American is for patriotic reasons and that makes me sad.
Years ago I heard the training of the Japanese employees lasts twice as long as in Europe and four times as long as in America. But I don´t know.

One might also note Scotty Kilmer's belief that the best Japanese cars are the ones that are made in Japan, and the best European cars are the ones made in Germany. But the Toyota trucks made in Texas seem to be an exception.

That is to say, it is insane to buy a VW that was made in Mexico or a BMW made in Brazil. The comparison of the German Tiguan of a few years ago and the Mexican Tiguan of today is like night and day.

I have owned more than 30 cars in my adult life, MANY of them were scorned by Consumer Reports, but I've never had a catastrophic failure. The worst car I ever owned - though I loved it - was a Cadillac Catera, for which I bought a very good extended warranty. The warranty company lost its ass on the car, and I sold it five minutes before the warranty ran out.

My 2007 VW GTI has been very reliable. When there was a sudden heavy hail storm, I couldn't move my car into the barn at first 'cause I couldn't see anything. The result - not a dent. The same storm destroyed my neighbor's Honda. My late husband liked Japanese cars, but when I bought my own car, I chose the GTI 'cause in the '70s I had a VW Rabbit. One night I had a head-on collision with a drunk driving a '68 Mercury fast and out of control. My Rabbit's safety features did what they were supposed to: The engine went under, the steering wheel didn't crush the driver, the windshield was safety glass, the automatic seat belts held us in place. We walked away uninjured unlike those in the Mercury. When I went to see my car where it was towed, the owner of the place said, "I must be looking at a ghost!"
That was a great year for VW hatchbacks. In fact, from 2006 to 2010 the VW hatchbacks were at their peak in reliability. My 2008 VW Rabbit, which I've owned since 2013, is easily the most reliable car I've ever owned. Never had to put it in the shop for anything mechanical, although the window regulator failed on drivers side window, and that was likely due to the rainguards that were installed inside the window well.

I've never heard a complaint from Lexus owners, that continues to be the very top performer in reliability and owner satisfaction.

we have 3 toyotas & i personally drive a 2007 prius. the only thing that has been replaced was the conventional battery & tires. the other 2 are a 2007 scion & a 2010 tacoma pick up. all still run great with no major repairs or body rust. their ages should tell you how reliable they are.

i understand that most owners of prius' are repeat customers. i know i will be.

That doesnt say much for the Prius,especially if they're repeat customers.
It's only been in production for 24 years which really doesnt say much for its longevity as of yet.

I've driven 3 brand new Toyotas..........2 that were brand new rentals (I was the first person to rent them)..........1 that was from a dealership. Two of them rattled and squeaked SO LOUD I couldn't hear the salesman talking to me from the back seat. The other one sounded like everything inside the dashboard was banging around freely.

ANY vehicle will last as long as it's taken care of properly. Most people have no clue what it takes, to take proper care of any vehicle.

I've owned one of every truck builder on the market except Dodge,which I'll never drive since they suck.
Bought my first Toyota in 98,a 4x4 Tacoma with the TRD SuperCharger and I've never driven anything but Toyotas since.
They're the most reliable vehicles on the planet over all.
The Wife drove Her 2000 4Runner till 275K before she traded it in recently for a 2019 4x4 Tacoma.
The 4Runner still ran fine but I finally convinced Her to trade it in before anything major died.
I've had two Tacomas,One FJ and now a Tundra. I only traded em in because I just needed more towing capacity or I just wanted a new truck.

In my family we only buy Honda and Toyota.

My Gen II 2013 Tundra (made in Texas) is a great truck. I'll be able to put another 100K miles on it if I take care of it.

Our family SUV is a Honda Pilot and it is an excellent vehicle.

No buying any American brand vehicle. They lost quality decades ago.

I've had GM vehicles for decades. Never had a problem with them, other than regular maintenance and changing out parts that need it after hitting high miles. And a hell of a lot cheaper on the mechanic bill as well.

Same here.

My favorite out of the bunch is my 31, going on 32 year old GM.

It still drives really well. And it's easy to fix if anything does bust.

Think I'm gonna park it for the year, though. First snow is coming this week, so they'll be dropping salt all over the roadways.

Plus I just got under there and scrubbed the suspension down a bit while I was in the hole for contempt, so that pretty much guarantees the rice burner will get the brunt of the winter mess. The rice burner's reliability lies in its expendability.

46.jpg

The two most reliable cars I've ever had were an 1988 Honda Accord and a 2013 Nissan Altima. I gave the Honda to my daughter when she got her license (2002), and she drove the wheels off that thing. We finally got rid of it when it hit 300,000 miles. I sold the Altima to a buddy of mine back in 2018.

I've owned cars of every ilk. I still do; got a garage full of them. But my choice for scootin' around town is my 2014 Malibu:

51501254610_1b2e3035a5_o.jpg

It ain't fancy, but it's comfortable, pretty economical and is just a good, solid car. It had 17,000 miles on it when I bought it from my aunt's estate in 2017. I picked it up in New York in January of 2018, and it now has over 100,000 miles on it. There may have been a couple of protracted roads trips put on the odometer since I've had it...

My 97 BMW 3 Series is still going strong at 125,000 miles.

Apart from normal service items, it’s all pretty much original.

Forum List

Back